Got a Kitten..Please advise..

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Palerider, Jun 28, 2007.

1. hawkeyefan

hawkeyefan Maha Guru

GPU:
    8800GT @ 787/1944/2244

Shrooms is one old fricken cat! I only know one other that made it to 19, who was owned by a close friend. We called her "Grandma Kitty". Blind as a bat and completely deaf. Used to scream at the top of our lungs half an inch from her ear and she wouldn't even flinch.

2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    WATCH WHAT FOOD YOU GET FOR THE CAT.

There were a lot of recalls recently on canned cat food, due to a glucose type flavoring or something of the sort causing kidney failure in cats. We recently lost a cat to this.=[

3. Waylander

Waylander Guest

the same as everyone else, don't get her declawed, do get her neutered.
    Mine (Oakley, about 8 months old) gets a mixture of dry and wet food, plenty of water, and loads of little furry mice and such like to play with.
    he plays constantly, likes torches and string.
    He keeps sneaking into bed with me and the wife, tends to sneak down between us under the duvet, then starts pummeling my butt!!

EDIT: as for ages, my ex had 2 that were house cats all their lives, died at 21 and 24. becky who was originally white was yellow with age when she finally died...

4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    It's hard to tell by that picture alone but either the ears of the cat are dirty with wax or are possibly infected. You should look into that.

As a rule of thumb you shouldn't wash the cat unless necessary (if it falls into mud or something) and also keep in mind you should regularly trim your cat's nails. When trimming the nails trim only the tips because it's not like human nails, if you cut it from the bottom it WILL bleed and cause the cat a lot of pain and even possibly become infected. You can even see right in the nails up to what point there is/isn't blood, trim only the tip, that will prevent the cat from causing too much damage but it will need to be done regularly because the tip easily grows back.

5. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    Good eye. Yes, her ears were dirty,and a little bit scabbed. The vet took care of that for us.
    Thats a hell I went through with my dog. Sorry about your cat.It's absolutely ridiculous.
    ROFL- We have the same problem, I was too embarrassed to say it.

6. Waylander

Waylander Guest

he's fine, my only concern is one of us rolling over and killing him..
    But he does seem quite adept at getting out of the way...

Doesn't half interfere with boy-girl relations though... :(

7. Don Rockard

Don Rockard Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX/TR HR-03 Plus
    Good way to discipline a cat is with a watergun.
    Doesn't hurt, but they just don't like water.
    Just a couple of squirts when they do something you don't want them to.

8. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Just wait until it starts sleeping on top of your head.

I loooove when my cat does that.

Every night.

All the time.

9. JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
    My last cat received his airborne training due in part to that little stunt.

The worst though is when the cat would lay on top of the blankets on me at night, purr and kneed its claws through the blankets and into what ever part of my body happened to be under it.

10. Cold Fussion

Cold Fussion Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 260 gtx (216sp)
    If you have pool, don't let the water level get too low. Can't count the number of times my cats have gone ass over tit into the pool :)

11. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O
    For toys, you really don't need to spend any money. Wadded paper, shoestrings, and paper sacks all work well, and cost nothing.

12. stut85

stut85 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5850 1GB
    Best advice is to get a scratching post ASAP, as it helps to learn form a young age. Toy wise, as a kitten its in there instincts to play, sneak up etc, does no harm just there nature, best to have some toys as they like to play a lot. Even just a ball of wool will suffice, thing slike shoe laces etc will do. Word of advice dont get it de-clawed as its just plain cruel, it can give cats depression and give them a sense of loss. Its just part of being a cat ;) . Its great that you have taken her in, and good luck.

13. Richard_Noggin

Richard_Noggin Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GT 512MB
    My cat used to attack my feet while i was sleeping not realizing it i kicked him across the room many times.

14. nightime_bird

nightime_bird Member Guru

GPU:
    7900GT SLi@560/1600Mhz (Vf900cu)
    Apply H2O Cooling and overclock the hell outta it

What? Oh Cats!!!!

They love when u scratch their chins if i remeber correctly
    I had my last cat 10 years ago

Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  15. Food

Food Banned

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTX 768MB
    this is the sign of things to come Palerider...

i think destiny wanted you to have this CAT before your Doggy goes to the afterlife very soon, believe it or not i think you did something good in your life and life is trying to repay you (losing your pet dog can be devastating).

it is a very beautiful cat, i really wish your dog to live a long long time but at the 18th birthday i want you to be prepared anytime for the worst, no exceptions.

Cats are very sensitive to food and stress unlike dogs, they are practically identical to Rabbits only a bit stronger but still would suffer from many of the symptoms rabbits can have in fact most of the cures for cats work on rabbits too.
    cats always clean themselves so they swallow hair and this can cause intestinal obstruction, so i recommend you feed a slice of Ananas (fresh, not canned) at least once a month, works wonders, also if you see your cat sitting down like a sphinx and changing position every 2 minutes it means they got gas they are not able to pass but if they do they'll get watery stool so be prepared, if not it is time for the vet.

that's all i can say. good luck.

16. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

Cat farts are really bad.....

17. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Give them both but don't overreact with the canned food, once they had a plate of canned food, give them hard food if they ask for more. Oh and as much as cats mike like it, milk is actually bad for them, water is better.