vista.what's the difference in OEM or retail (boxed) ?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by JEFFRO503, Jun 21, 2007.

1. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none
    can you guys fill me in on what the difference is on these? I'm looking to get the "full version" of vista ultimate but what's the difference between OEM and boxed versions? And if they are the same.......why is the boxed versions so much higher priced?

Also..............is the 64bit version ( i don't know if all vista's are 64bit??) the one to have for gaming. My XP pro is 32 bit......just want to know if the 64 bit will be better in the long run for gaming?

Thanks guys.

Jeff

2. Waylander

Waylander Guest

OEM means technically, that once you've installed it and activated it once, that's it. the license is used, you can only reinstall to the exact machine you originally did. If you make any major hardware changes you should, in theory, get a new license, ie buy another copy. In practice MS will usually reactivate it on new hardware if you phone them and say your PSU blew up or something.
    OEM is meant to be for system builders who build a machine, install the OS then sell the machine, with the OS pre-installed.

Retail, basically means you can reinstall it as many times as you like on any hardware you like, only using it on 1 machine at a time obviously.

32bit v 64bit.
    Depends on the hardware you're installing it on, if you have a 64 bit processor then 64bit OS and vice versa. Although 32bit OS will install onto 64bit machines. TBH the performance difference at the moment isn't huge as there's not a huge amount of software specifically written to take advantage of the 64bit architecture, however this will probably change reasonably soon.

If you're looking to install Vista on your current hardware, as listed, to be honest I wouldn't bother, you'll be lucky if it installs let alone runs...

3. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none
    aaahhh.............ok , i get it. I guess i'll have to buy a boxed version , i would hate to have to buy it and only be able to install it once.....that would blow!

As far as me getting it soon......isn't going to happen. I'm just thinking down the road when i finish building my computer around september or something. I'm hoping vista has a service pack out by then.

Thanks for the info man!!

4. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    If you get OEM, you can reinstall as many times as you want, and you won't have to re-validate unless you change motherboard.

5. Phoenix_Inferno

Phoenix_Inferno Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTS 320MB
    Keep in mind with the OEM versions, you have either 32bit or 64bit. Where as if you buy the retail version, you get the 32bit and can get the 64bit version for free later on if you contact MS.

I recently purchased my boxed vista for that exact reason. Right now a lot of the older stuff i use dont work with 64bit vista, so im sticking with 32bit until there are actually applications that take advantage of 64bit.

6. GODzillaSDM

GODzillaSDM Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    ^ wanted to emphasize his point

7. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    I don't know about the US, but in the UK, retail vista ultimate is 3 times as expensive as OEM, which means you could buy 32 bit and 64 bit OEM and still be saving a third off the price of retail.

8. L33t Masta

L33t Masta Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA nVidia 8800GTX 768MB
    I bought boxed so that I can install it on any system I make and because I got the 64bit free.

9. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    And there are many ways to validate :rolleyes:

I'm too lazy to call microsoft every time I reinstall windows.

10. Da{N}ka

Da{N}ka Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI XFX GTX285 Black Ed.
    OEM means that you won't have any support from Microsoft in case something happens.
    OEM are the OS installed by HW Manufacturer (IBM / DELL / HP...) that will be supported by themselves and not by Microsoft.

Plus is not transferable, so in case your ideal laptop breaks down, the Microsoft license that came with it will not be "legally" useable on another PC.

So basically with an OEM copy you are on your own, hence why it's so cheaper.

11. zer0Nehza

zer0Nehza New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870
    as i did too... always must call microsoft to activate when i reformat my hdd...
    so many ways to validate... ? how...? oem user here....

12. BattleStar

BattleStar Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH4870 DK/HTDI/512
    I bought a Vista Business oem back in January and up to April/May whenever i reinstalled Vista or updated the bios i had to call Microsoft to activate. In June i reinstalled Vista twice and activation over internet worked fine so i think they either slacked up a little or got the bugs out.

13. LordAboveAll

LordAboveAll Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 2GB
    I had an XP OEM copy for four years and I had to reactivate it every time I reinstalled XP (which was every 6 months or so).
    I bought an OEM copy of Vista 32bit two months ago and I swapped the mobo and had to call Microsoft and reactivate, but on XP I never had to reactivate after I swapped hardware of any kind.