Vista Idle temps fluctuation

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by tralalalala, Jun 12, 2007.

1. tralalalala

tralalalala Banned

GPU:
    6600 GT
    Hi there.
    I got a little issue with my 8800GTS on Vista.

After i boot, my idle core temp gets around 65ºC. They will stay there for hours.

Now if i launch a game, then exit it, after a few minutes, the idle core temp drops not to 65ºC but to 60ºC

I have no idea why this happen, does anyone else notice this behavior?

2. area2000

area2000 Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    Not exactly the same...

When I play a Video with Winamp 5.35 the temp climbs ~5-6°C 54°C to 59°C
    when I end Winamp, the temp stays at 59°C and doesent drop. If I make a reboot of XP64 the temp is ~54°C again. Strange thing. I saw that 1 hour ago and I am here to report that (bug?). Card is a 8800GTX
    Ohhh I should say, I use the 2.02 R3 Version with the very nice standby fix/workaround :) .

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  3. samov

samov Master Guru

GPU:
    mobility x1600 256
    well... in vista the "idle" temps are not quite idle.... the new aero uses the 3d gpu to compute the visual elements... so idle in xp is not the same as idle in vista.

4. Darkoz

Darkoz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 ULTRA xXx 675/2.3GHz
    I've found the same thing with Vista and my 8800ULTRA, at bootup the card is idling at around 60C then randomly drops back down to 54C after some time.
    There doesn't seem to be anything in particular that triggers it, I could be just surfing the net for a while and then notice that the card's temp has dropped.

5. HamidFULL

HamidFULL Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4850 700/2200
    Same here my 8800 A3 idle temp in vista is 65-68C ... Try to disable Aero maybe fix this problem

6. tralalalala

tralalalala Banned

GPU:
    6600 GT
    The thing is, i think 3D isn't even detected in Vista, i mean I enabled the detection on the monitor and it never flips to 1, no mather what app or game i run or exit...

7. Darkoz

Darkoz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It's because the 8800 cards do not have a 2D and 3D, by default the GTX runs only in 3D mode.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  8. tralalalala

tralalalala Banned

GPU:
    6600 GT
    i think they do, just don't work in vista...

9. Grendel_66

Grendel_66 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    Huh, since when ?

10. Darkoz

Darkoz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Since the GTX was released.

11. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Wrong.

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Vista with Aero is always in 3D. It only does 2D when you change desktop theme to basic.

13. Darkoz

Darkoz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rather than just posting a smart arse one word answer Unwinder, why not elaborate so everyone here can benefit from your reason why it's wrong.

14. Unwinder

It is wrong because it is wrong. You don't need to expain why it is wrong to tell that the grass is black or the sun is blue. That's just wrong statement ;)

G80 is not anyway special comparing to other NVIDIA cards and it also have 3 different performance levels (2D, low-power 3D and 3D) like any NV30 and newer display adapter. The performance levels are set to the same clocks by default buy you still can adjust clocks independently for each performance level.

15. Darkoz

Darkoz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    As I said previously Unwinder, and you have just confirmed it yourself, by default the 8800GTX does not use different 2D and 3D performance levels because it doesn't matter whether it's in 2D or 3D the clock rates are the same by default ie: the clock rates do not reduce when your just using the desktop (whether in XP or Vista)

Yes you can modify this by using Rivatuner but my point was that it doesn't do it by default.

16. Kakaru2

Kakaru2 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 8800GTX 768MB
    Sorry Darkox, but by default 8800 gtx does use different 2D and 3D levels. It just happens they have the same value.

17. Darkoz

Darkoz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Can you explain please, how can they have different 2D and 3D levels but at the same time have the same values, how does that make them different?
    I've had the GTX and the Ultra and the clock speeds do not change whether in the desktop or running a 3D application.

Everest Ultimate showing all three levels the same clocks.......

[​IMG]

The 8800 Ultra BIOS shows only one performance level.....

[​IMG]

RivaTuner Hardware Monitor showing 2D clock speeds, as you can see it's the same as 3D........

[​IMG]

18. Unwinder

Don't make a mess of performance levels (2D/LP3D/3D) and performance level parameters (clock frequencies). Even if the parameters are equal, the driver is still tracking 2D/3D activity and still performing performance levels switching.

19. Kakaru2

Kakaru2 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 8800GTX 768MB
    Let's say you're Nvidia and you want your next card have the same clocks no matter if it's 2D or 3D.
    You have 2 options:
    1) disable these 2d/3d levels you introduced - what the heck did gf 4200 didn't run perfect for its time without this mumbo jumbo of 2d/3d?
    2) keep the levels but unify the values.

You get the same result at default, but the difference is tremendous: if Joe Shmuck wants his card in 2d to work at 100Mhz he can do it, because the levels are there.

20. Darkoz
    Your assumption was that the G80 had ONLY ONE performance level because you failed to see the difference between all three performance levels since they have the exact same clocks set up by default, correct? And you are actually saying that the 8800GTX doesn't switch between performance levels? Exactly how do you know that if all three of them, unless otherwise altered, have the same clock speeds?