Logitech z5300 VS Logitech z5500 VS Creative GigaWorks ProGamer G500

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Mulsiphix, Jun 10, 2007.

1. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Well, I kinda want to merge my home theater and pc areas into one but I wasn't sure how the z-5500's would sound hooked up to a receiver in a 20' x 30'(roughly) room. Some speakers sound good up close but lose their accuracy at distance(or maybe my ears are the culprit?).

2. Spezzy

Spezzy Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GTX 256 525/1400
    Holy ****. 20x30 (and i assume 8ft ceilings!?)

Good luck with that one. You're gonna need some serious audio euqipment in there. Like Dual 18"s. Dual dual 18s actually. Save up alot, then we can talk haha. Z-5500 would cry it's heart out in that room.

3. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    I feared that much lol. You were close about the height, it's actually 8'9" :behead: Maybe I'll just wait until income tax time rolls around again and get a "proper" sound setup. Or I'll just use the z-5500 as a stopgap solution until then as the setup I have now is lurching its way toward the dumpster ever slowly. here it is... Samsung HT-DM150

I just checked the room and I was off by a little. It's 18' x 26' x 8 3/4'. still pretty big though.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  4. Spezzy

Spezzy Master Guru

GPU:
    Still, a fairly large room.

Wish my room was that big though. :puke3:

5. alg7_munif

alg7_munif Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    If you are looking at a HT setup with small satellites and cost just a little higher than the Z-5500, the Z-5500 would be a better choice imo. If you want to have a HT setup, you need to invest more but it is worth it imo.

6. Spezzy

Spezzy Master Guru

GPU:
    This man speaks truth.

BIC Acoustech is only a little bit more than the 5500s, and I think would be osmething worth looking at.
    http://www.bicacoustechspeakers.com/closeup.asp?cid=188&pid=127&offset=0

Get a good ol $200 7.1 reciever to be ready for the future. :smoke:

Close to a $1000, but the sub that comes with that setup is a very good performer and is the best sub under $300. If you can afford that setup, no doubt you'll like it.

7. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    You can get decent HtiB setups from Onkyo for around the same price. They may not have huge power ratings but the seem decent enough.
    http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?class=Systems&m=HT-S590S&p=i
    You can get something to do you for now until you get a better setup or just use the Z-5500 or other for good. Not everybody can afford a top quality HT setup or needs or wants one. Speaking of HT gear it seems no matter what you own you can always find a setup that is much, much better, so you have to set a mark and enjoy the gear you bought instead of always wanting something more..

8. Spezzy

Spezzy Master Guru

GPU:
    You speak truth about finding something much much better, but there is a certain point where to get that 3dB increase at 10hz you'll need more than just an extra $2k.

Rob, a Onkyo HTiB vs. the Acoustech shouldn't even be disputed. The Onkyo's satellites have a 3/4 tweeter and a 4" woofer all around (with the exception being the center having 2 woofers). That Vs. the BIC Towers with Dual 6 1/2" woofers and a horn tweeter. The sensitivity with horns is much higher than standard tweeters, so he will not need such a powerful reciever.
    EDIT: looked at the specs for the satellites, 3 1/8" woofers. Enough said.

An 8" sub vs. 12" sub. Don't even go there. Also designed by Dr. HSU (hsuresearch.com) His subs are ugly but outperform many better looking subs for half the price.

Rob, you have to remember his room is absolutely huge. In his room dual dual 18"s was a bit of an exagerration, but he will need atleast a 15" unless he places his sub nearfield.

The Onkyo's satellites won't even come close to reference levels in his room, they are not the caliber of speaker for his room.

My friend has that setup in a room that is 15x20 with 8ft ceilings. Sub corner loaded and calibrated to 87dB, sub gets port noise at -23.

Just trying to help the guy out. Would hate to see him disappointed by such a setup.

9. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I wasn't saying compare the two. Why would you think that? You are comparing a $195 dollar HTiB setup to a $799+ speaker setup?
    Your whole post is way off the mark.
    Don't misunderstand what I am saying. For the money involved he is probably better off going with the Z-5500's
    For $200 it is pretty hard to get a similar system with equal power ratings. The Z5500 may be decent for nearfield I am not sure how good they would be for a large room.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  10. Spezzy

Spezzy Master Guru

GPU:
    I just thought that maybe a comparison should be made since he is going in the $200 range anyways, or something. I was a bit off when I made that post I guess.

I don't know, just the way I see things. $200 isn't too far off from $1000 in my opinion. Maybe it's just because I can make money easily, I don't know. Sorry if it sounded offensive.

11. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Not really a comparison between a $200 HTiB and a $1000 Speaker+receiver system. The guy will have to decide what his budget is and go from there.
    If he is staying in the $200 range there is really only so many system that would work for him.

12. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Well. I make money easily also, but $1000 kind of is a different price bracket than $200. I could scrape $1000 up if I needed to, but then my kids would go without the zoo memberships, cedar point memberships, week long camping trip, etc. We spend alot of money on summer activities, and then christmas time comes :ying:. So really I don't have any real scratch to spend until income tax return comes around. Even then it'll be hard to convince the gf to spend $1000 on ht stuff, but I think I can do it ;).

13. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    If you don't buy those things for the kids you will never get to enjoy your speakers anyway because they will be bothering you and wanting to use your PC. Just decide what you think you need and what your willing to spend and decide from there. You do not have to leave your self totally broke to get great sound. On the GF front, you have to put something in their for her. Tell here it will make her soap opera's sound way better or something to that affect.

14. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Lol, yeah she likes to watch movies and soap operas. Some soap operas come in HD and 5.1 sound so that's a good idea.

15. Spezzy

Spezzy Master Guru

GPU:
    Don't sacrifice fun for the kids for your audio. Also, don't leave yourself broke just from buying a speaker setup.

16. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Guest

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    Screw audio. Memories with the kids will last forever. 5.1 will only be "awesome" for the next few years. Then it will be old, something better will be begging to replace your older 5.1 hardware, and you'll be in the same situation. I'm not so financially well off, this last PC was a very unexpected gift from a family member who ran into a large sum of money, so I can't provide my kids with nice things like camping. I would love to do it though. Thankfully they're so young right now they probably wouldn't take much away from it. At least once their older I should be able to provide such things. Memories and kids all the way :thumbup:.

17. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Active Member

GPU:
    geforce 8800gts
    reading this thread made me realise how important speakers can so i was having a browse on ebay e bought the creative g500 pro gamer for 60 quide , the arrived today and they rocked my world big time the neighbours are going mad!! lol

18. Spezzy

Spezzy Master Guru

GPU:
    It will be a long time till 7.1 becomes common.
    5.1 will always be standard I think. It's been around for almost 10 years. (7 or 8, maybe longer)

19. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    i still remember when they tried to get 6.1 to fly off into the key. it didnt last long. I betting 7.1 becomes common when they start making something like 10.1 or something.

20. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Guest

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    No technology standard can control the majority of the market forever. Sooner or later it will be replaced with something superior. Just take a look at storage devices, preferred monitor resolutions, video game console makers, etc... over the last twenty years. Even if 5.1 is the top for a good long while I still think the memories with the kids would go a lot farther than speakers. You can get speakers anytime but only have one chance with your kids while their at their current age. And if you have kids you know how future experiences with your kids will be different due to how fast they grow up and their personalities changing. Memories FTW :thumbup: