Please help -> Sony 46" or Samsung 46" 1080P LCD?

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Saeid, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Saeid

Saeid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Connect3D X800 PCI-Express 256MB
    Guys i need your expert opinion please.

Which is better?

Sony KDL-46V2500 or Samsung LNT4661F?

I have had the Sony KDL-40V2500 it had a vertical line of stuck pixels.
    I switched it for a Sony KDL-46V2500 and it made a very faint buzzing sound when on (when u stick ur ear on the back of the TV), and it took a while for the clicking sound to sound when you turn off the tv.
    I switched that for the same model put a brand new one, and it still had that problem, but now it has a stuck pixel in the center of the screen! :(

What should i do? Should i go for the Samsung?

Thanks in advance! :)

2. Mostafa Hijazi

Mostafa Hijazi Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 980 Ti SC+ SLI
    well i lived the same nightmare as you. between samsung and sony. but i bought sony bravia x, i would've regreted buying the samsung over the bravia because it 's not a big difference in money but surely a huge difference in quality. but it's up to you mate.

3. Zeppo

Zeppo Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 560Ti / Sony 40-EX723
    I would stick with the Sony, it has the best quality visuals. I've also noticed that my Bravia makes a very low hum noise when it is on standby, the only way I can solve it is by turning the TV off from the mains.

4. Satan

Satan Guest

GPU:
    some

5. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    The extra price on the bravias is for the brand name, nothing else. Don't buy into the "more expensive = must be better" BS that sony try to pull.

The bravias probably use samsung screens anyway.

6. Zeppo

Zeppo Maha Guru

GPU:
    I used to think the same thing. However seeing the two next to each other outputting the same feed, you can see a bit of a difference. The Samsung is still a very very good TV.

7. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    I expect that was more to do with calibration... like I said, sony probably use samsung screens, most companies seem to.

8. Inquisit0r

Inquisit0r Member

GPU:
    e-VGA 8800 GT 512Mb
    Well even though I hate Samsung I'd have to say the Samsung is the better choice because the contrast ratio on the sony is only 7,000:1 i think and the samsung is 10,000:1. My Panasonic Viera 50" is 10,000:1 (but its a plasma not LCD) and I think that it looks much better than my old 32" Protron with only 5,000:1. I know that the contrast ratio isnt EVERYTHING but I think that if you want a good quality picture the better contrast ratio will problably look better.

9. Cold Fussion

Cold Fussion Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 260 gtx (216sp)
    I highly doubt Samsung makes it own panels. Very few companies make and use their own panels and one of those companies could be Sony.

10. Zeppo

Zeppo Maha Guru

GPU:
    That's correct, Samsung use screens made by Sony (according to a forum post I've read anyway).

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's the other way around, Sony uses Samsung panels, but all the video processing is done by Sony electronics (on the sony TV's).

As for the TV, I just recently bought a 46 inch Bravia LCD and it's been absolutely awesome. I choose it over the Samsung only because I've had nothing but good experiences with Sony TVs, and almost all reviews saying that the Sony was the higher quality TV, only problem is you are paying for that quality.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  12. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    I don't like how saturated colours look on Sony TVs, I think sony just ships them with different settings to make the picture seem striking, when in actual fact, you can get the same effect on most hdtvs.

Samsung build quality has always been better than sony's in my personal experience, and once you tweak your settings, Samsungs put out an awesome image as well.

13. Zeppo

Zeppo Maha Guru

GPU:
    Not true, my Bravia came with terrible settings, I had to tweak it for ages to get a good image. Now it's f**king brilliant.

True, it does come to a matter of taste. Either way you're getting a good TV.

14. pantsmachine

pantsmachine Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sparkle 260gtx
    Go with the samsung, excellent screen and you are not paying for the Sony name on the casing. Or have a look at the sharp Aquos range.

15. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    Cnet gave the Samsung a better review..

The Samsung has a Contrast Ratio of 12000:1

Sony's got 7000:1

The Samsung if im not mistaken is even brighter , I think it's got 550 .

Then Sony TV's do horrible with analogue inputs , I know this from first hand experience..
    Samsung does a much better job in that department..
    Plus the Samsung is Cheaper I suppose..

Get the Samsung

16. Zeppo

Zeppo Maha Guru

GPU:
    [quote Zeppo]Samsung make very good LCD TV's, if it's in your budget get one. If you want to spend a bit less however, go for a Panasonic or Hitachi, these are also brilliant. I agree with the other posts, avoid shi*ty budget ones because if you get one, you will kick yourself if you go around to a mates house and he's got a bigger name brand. The quality is definitely noticeable.

If you can stretch your budget a bit higher, I can personally recommend a Sony Bravia. Freeview TV doesn't look as good as it does on a Samsung, but the difference really shows when you play a DVD, HD-DVD or Blu-Ray movie, connect a console or PC. The Bravia's picture quality is f*cking brilliant when you link any off those things up. Also, the speakers on Bravia's are more powerful, but this doesn't matter if you are using external speakers.

The best thing to do is go to a shop and see the picture quality for yourself. I know some people who prefer the Samsung to the Sony, so it's all a matter of taste.[/quote]

source: some other thread