ATI X1900GT Cooler Switch?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Enozekun, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Enozekun

Enozekun Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 8800GT
    Btw, one thing i've thought of. I know that when I overclock i should only do it in 5Mhz increments until the processor won't run, then increase the voltage by one increment until it gets stable.

But when i know at what hz my cpu runs stable, can i just jump up there directly? Or should i still just up it with small increments?

E.g. i jump from 200x11 (2200MHz) straight up to 230x11(2540~)

2. NAJMI ADNAN

NAJMI ADNAN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X TriX 4GB
    If you already know its stable at that frequency, you can directly jump to that speed

3. Enozekun

Enozekun Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 8800GT
    Okay, nice. Thanks for answering.

4. Hiro1000

Hiro1000 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Very Very few 1900gts are able to unlock those extra 4 pipes.

5. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire+HIS X1950 PRO Crossfire+OC

So not even most of the rev1's? I know rev2's can't but I thought you at least had a decent chance of unlocking a rev1.

6. Zoea

Zoea Guest

you can get a dual core and/or opteron (still!) for socket 939.

also, try a slightly lower overclock if you have trouble at 25xx but be sure you are doing it right... lower HT multi, lower mem multi, loosen timings maybe, try and stick to 1t, use 2 modules for dual channel, increase vdimm maybe a bit, maybe drop the multi to keep memory fast at your optimal core speed etc.

also interestingly upping the pci-express from 100 to 120/118 had a noticable effect for my ati gfx card, why not give it a shot?

(anyone else on guru 3d does that?)

Remember to turn off stuff you dont use, in the bios...

7. Landazar

Landazar Active Member

Hello mate, I got an x1900GT 256 Sapphire.
    my card does not exceed its heat limits like yours, but does have some issues i tried fixing aswell which didnt work.

When I first recieved my card, its fan was working on 31%, Why ? I have absolutly no idea, I downloaded ATI fan which kept it much cooler turning the speed of fan to 100%.

but the weird cropping i've had at 31% fan keeps on going in each game, theres these lines that stretch from certain points and change the visuality of graphics quiet a bit.... sometimes tabbing out of the game and back fixes it, but this shouldnt happen at all.

So, besides helping u with the heat :) anyone think he can throw a few tips @ me ? :)

8. Markgpl

Markgpl Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6800
    It's normal that fan speed varies from 100%, max is noisier (life of the fan won't be as good too). With atitool you can change the profile of fan speed vs temp. But i recommend you not to run it at 100% all the time.

9. methylbenzoate

methylbenzoate Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 550 Ti
    Go for the Arctic Cooling Accelero X2 with Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste. The temperatures will drop under load and your performance will be better. Plus, with lower temperatures, you should be able to achieve a higher overclock.

10. desertjedi

desertjedi Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260
    My thoughts as well. I upgraded to an X1950XT which was to be my final stand-in-the-sand for DX9. (I play alot of older games). But I found the increase in speed from my X1900GT to be pretty small.

I think you need to re-phrase that to:

There, that's better. Actually, I think there was one. LOL Some guy had that one card and he posted on either these forums or the techpowerup ones showing people how to do it. They ended up killing their cards. In most X1900GTs, the last quad has been physically destroyed. That guys card had a slightly different chipset name in the bios that most people's cards. Pro?

It's normal that the fan does not run at high speeds all the time. IIRC, my fan ran at 26% when I first installed my X1900GT. When you game, the fan speed increases (I'm assuming). I set up custom profiles with ATI Tray Tools when I had my stock HSF. When I swapped it for a Zalman VF900, you don't have to worry about fan profiles.

Landazar, you need to use either ATI Tool or Tray Tools to set up custom profiles: Low speed at 2D but increasing fan speed as temps increase. I use Tray Tools cuz it's much better for setting up custom game profiles that automatically use custom overclock profiles and custom gamma profiles.

11. Enozekun

Enozekun Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 8800GT
    Lol, i opened my side panel and pointed my USB fan at the back side of my x1900gt and the temperature dropped to 57 idle and 86 at full load.

I did this because i my card runs up to 103 degress when playing NWN2 =/