Global Warming

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Steven Hone, Jun 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
    Okay, neither do I but you have to admit that we both have sounded a tad arrogant in several of our posts. Don't be a hypocrite. ;)

I edited my last post and hopefully changed my tone.

2. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    LOL Gun- I just searched Google to see what state CONUS was in :bigsmile:

All together now.....DUH!!!

3. alma

alma Guest

GPU:
    POV8800GT512MB/Dell U2410
    My region is Puglia, in the south east coast, which as most of the south of Italy is quite poor, no jobs here and many, many people move to norh of italy, north of europe, australia or US. That's why you have so many italians there; for the same reasons we have a lot of north african, romanian, russian, ukrainan, chinese, albanese people in italy and I can grant you, they're really welcome from me just because they bring new cultures and help me understanding the differences.

Latin is defined a dead language, there's no country where latin is currently spoken, I studied it at school but tried to forget it asap...I then studied English and Spanish at university, I'm a localizer (software translator) and anyway latin helps me to understand the root of an enormous number of words, as greek does.

4. JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
    I agree. I studied Latin more to understand where modern language comes from then anything else. I speak English and Spanish fluently (read and write). I speak German and Latin semi-fluently. My wife speaks fluent English, Italian, Latin and Spanish. She was raised Roman Catholic so Latin was a must at least at her private school. She is the person who talked me into taking Latin. Your English is excellent by the way.

Now that things have calmed down and we have kissed and made up can we get back on topic? I promise I will do my best to keep my huge patriotic ego to myself. :arnie:

5. alma

alma Guest

GPU:
    POV8800GT512MB/Dell U2410
    Thanks for the compliment :) Let's go back on topic, here is 12am so I'm going to leave for now (be patriotic while I'm away :)) have a nice time!

6. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Yes, back on topic, sounds like a good idea to me. While we are on the subject on protecting the environment and stopping global warming, does this mean we all have to drive hybrids? Look at the damage hybrids can do...

http://clubs.ccsu.edu/recorder/editorial/editorial_item.asp?NewsID=188

A green car? Well, if the resultant acid rain is green, I guess so.

7. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    noooo i shall drive a car running on gasoline :p tho i wouldn't mind alternative :eek:

8. ManicOne

ManicOne Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS 5850 Crossfire
    Yeah I know I said I wouldn't respond again in this thread, but LOL!!!!

You have absolutely no farkin idea about chemistry, hell even my wife (with no formal scientific training) lolled at your post.

An example: The Earth and its moon are virtually the same distance from the sun (aggregate average is the same).
    *Moon has no atmosphere, and an average temperature of -15C.
    *Earth has an atmosphere, and an average temperature of 15C.
    Thus Temperature differential due to Earth's atmosphere is 30C.

Over the last 30 years, average temperature on Earth has risen 0.6C, or 2% of the atmospheric differential temperature.

My point is this: There are multiple factors that can contribute to global warming: Yes, solar activity is one of them. But thinking it is the reason (and mutually exclusive from greenhouse emissions (gases that absorb sun based radiation) is plain hilarious.

Then again, what would I know, I'm just a chemist. Here's a link, you can go argue with NASA...

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/news/topstory/2007/danger_point.html

9. JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
    Hard to stay out of it when someone says something down right foolish isn't it?

10. blue5

blue5 Banned

GPU:
    evga 9800GTX (685/1115)
    Agreed the math and logic behind that is fundamentally flawed. Mean isn't even the main measurer of climate change, but variations over multiple locations. The earth isn't a billiard ball.

11. ManicOne

ManicOne Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS 5850 Crossfire
    You, my friend, have no friggin idea. God I'm talking to a bunch of droptards.

How do you think a mean (average) measurement is calculated. By measuring the whole planet as one point sample? Nope, by taking data "over multiple locations". Jeez I can actually feel myself getting dumber.

12. DrSiN

DrSiN Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC 1G
    I offically love you.

13. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Over multiple locations? How diverse are the locations? Is it just the polar regions? What about the deserts? I can see how the locations can be selected to affect the data. Not only that you must also consider the time measured and the season.

14. JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
    Well I'm not your father but that was not very nice. You can say to someone 'that's not correct' in many ways but calling someone a droptard is definitely not the way to change someone’s mind and have a pleasant conversation.

You usually have the math and science to back up what you are saying so in my never to be humble opinion you should not have to stoop to such a level but maybe you did it out of frustration. It makes you look ignorant and foolish. I know because I have done it.

Open mouth and insert foot.

I understand quite clearly the term 'mean' however I can also see how it would be very difficult to obtain a good accurate mean temperature for the Earth as there are many variables to consider. I won't speak for blue5 but my perception of his post was that he had the same problem with your post.

I know where you are going and I agree I just think you assumed everyone here has your extensive scientific background and understands immediately.

I have the same problem in my line of work when someone outside law enforcement is in the conversation. I and Officer Smith are talking about a case and the layman is just looking at us like WTF because they have no idea what a PBT, FST, DRS is. I always know a fool when I see one because they act like they understand and don’t ask questions.

Maybe you could explain how an accurate mean temperature of the Earth is obtained when there are so many variables to consider?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  15. Woodmasterfox

Woodmasterfox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
    I drive an SUV!

(Sorry guys, found that can of gasoline laying around in my room :flame: )

/end sarcasm

But seriously, what is the point of this? I honestly think this is the 4th global warming thread we have had around here in a relatively short period of time. All I even know what to say this time around is that I drive a V8 SUV and I love it. My environmental footprint is still hundreds of times smaller than Al Gores. Go figure.

16. ManicOne

ManicOne Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS 5850 Crossfire
    Frustration? Yes.
    Regret? No.

17. ManicOne

ManicOne Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS 5850 Crossfire
    Think of it this way, the more valid data points the better the fit (just like AA really). With that information you can work out my answer.

18. Infested Nexus

Infested Nexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™ HD 8850M

19. JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
    A line from Pulp Fiction come to mind..."Night of the fight, you might feel a slight sting. That's pride fu**ing with you. Fu** pride! Pride only hurts . . . it never helps. You fight through that sh**"! :bash:

20. eat@joes

eat@joes Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire AMD 6850
    Awesome. I hate the winter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.