Creative ALchemy (X-Fi Edition) 1.00.04

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Alexi, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Alexi

Alexi Guest

A new improved version of ALchemy for Vista 32 & 64 is out today.

http://uk.europe.creative.com/support/downloads/welcome.asp

Filename: ALXF_WEB1_LB_1_00_4.exe
    This download is an application for Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ series of audio devices. It restores 3D audio and EAX® effects for certain DirectSound®3D games in Microsoft® Windows Vista™. For more details, read the rest of this web release note.

This download supports the following audio devices only:
    • Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
    • Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty® Pro
    • Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty
    • Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series
    • Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
    • Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
    • Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
    Fixes:
    • Enables the DirectSound3D game audio to be processed by your Sound Blaster X-Fi to deliver EAX effects, 3D audio spatialization, sampling rate conversion and hardware audio mixing. Without this, most DirectSound3D games will be reduced to stereo output without any EAX effects.
    Requirements:
    • Microsoft Windows Vista 64-bit or Windows Vista 32-bit
    • Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi audio device listed above
    Notes:
    • Do not install this application if you do not play DirectSound3D games in Windows Vista.
    • To find out more about Creative ALchemy or view the list of DirectSound3D games supported, click here.
    • To install the application
      1. Download the ALXF_WEB1_LB_1_00_4.exe file onto your local hard disk.
      2. Close all other Windows applications.
      3. Double-click the downloaded file.
      4. Follow the instructions on the screen.

2. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Do you have a direct link? Can't seem to find it anywhere on that site. :O

3. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  4. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    It gives me an error that it needs disk 1 with layout.bin. :O
    Somehow i can't install this version.
    I'm using Vista Ultimate 32 and the 32-bit version of ALchemy.

5. ntfx

ntfx Guest

kinda amusing how the default OS on creative download site is Windows Millenium. I guess even creative get mixed up with windows ME and windows vista. I certainly do. *chuckle*

6. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    I am getting BSOD on all of my games while using this program it says Process_has_locked_pages and then reboots. Is anyone else experiencing this?

7. AT39

AT39 Member Guru

GPU:
    eVga nVidia 7600GT PCIe
    I'm getting the same problem that you are. Anybody know the fix for it?

8. zed201

zed201 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 CLASSIFIED
  9. zed201

zed201 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 CLASSIFIED
    any body know if you should uninstall the 1,3 beta one frist ?

10. ntfx

ntfx Guest

nah just install the latest one on creatives site. (1.4)

11. NvidiaFreak

NvidiaFreak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7660D
    I test it and EAX do sound better and look like it gain a few fps.

12. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Gotta love Creative:

[​IMG]

13. Gumby

Gumby Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX TitanX
    I had the same trouble as in the screenshot above. I uninstalled the old one then, like the instruction screen says shut off all apps including virus scanner and then I ran it as a admin and after all that it installed correctly.

Even though I got this installed I really don't know enough to know what it is supposed to do.

I put BF2 in the thing,but after I started playing I had no sound at all so I reset it.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  14. Baleur

Baleur Guest

GPU:
    Gainward 8800GTS 640mb
    Read the info before you install then, if you dont know what its for..

Currently, in vista with an x-fi soundcard, if you are running in 5.1 or higher, some games sound gets wierd when it "enables" surround, like when shooting the guns in a space game, or some rts games like Supreme Commander and C&C3..

So that it automatically switches to vista's own sound thing, and thereby only using the 2 front speakers, not the 5.1 surround that it should, no matter what windows/driver/ingame settings you use.
    Not even the actual CMSS3d settings work in those particular games, which is supposed to always use all 5 speakers even if the source is only Stereo.

Only some games have that problem tough, the ones i can think of right now is Oblivion, Sword of The Stars, UFO Extraterrestrials & Afterlight, X3 Reunion, Galactic Civilizations 2, Spaceforce, Space Empires V, thats all i can remember right now lol, still quite alot.

So i guess this is supposed to fix that then? Seems like it only fixes it for some certain games they made it work with, i hope that doesnt mean that itll only make a difference for a handful of famous games.. :/

One thing we can establish tough, Creative utterly sucks in vista lol. But if this program actually changes the forced 2.1 thing in so many games, i'll forgive them.
    I wont count on it tough. 12kb/s download speed joy, even their servers suck..

Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  15. nodo

nodo Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT260
    Installed flawless here.
    I deinstalled all creative apps+driver used the new guru3d-sweeper and reinstalled the newest driver then thx console and after that alchemy.

The new version looks a lot better and has improved a lot in functionality. I recommend everyone to update !

16. Baleur

Baleur Guest

GPU:
    Gainward 8800GTS 640mb
    WoW IT WORKS!! IT ACTUALLY WORKS!!
    Wow i never expected that lol, i tried with Spaceforce (which is a small indy game really), and X3 Reunion, and Oblivion.
    At first it didnt work, you gotta run X-Fi in Game mode, but then it worked flawlessly, finally i can have sound in all my speakers in those games! Very impressed, something from Creative that works in vista :)

I am a bit "meh" about having to run in game mode however, i have gotten this idea in my mind that mp3's and stuff sound better in Entertainment mode, but i'll just forget about that lol

17. Dragonsbane

Dragonsbane Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 2080 Black
    Im surprised you were thinking about playing games without changing to Game Mode... even on XP playing on Entertainment or Creation mode always gives me bad results, if any at all (EAX support appears grayed).

Good news they updated Alchemy... will install latter and see if it is really any better than 1.3.

18. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX 7600
    BF2 is an OpenAL game so doesn't need Alchemy. Same goes for any other OpenAL game, list here,

http://www.openal.org/titles.html

The only games you need to use Alchemy with are games that use DirectSound 3D and EAX.

BTW it also works with Winamp if you copy the dsound.dll from the Alchemy folder to the Winamp folder.

19. NvidiaFreak

NvidiaFreak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7660D
    well i did alot of test and it seem that game with out the EAX.dll when u add the Dsound and other file into a game folder game crash or u wont get any sound. games that dont support Eax work and sound great with out eax since it dont use it.

20. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    A fix for the installer "layout.bin" crash:

1. Get WinRAR
    2. Unpack the ALchemy .exe file to any folder
    3. Do setup manually in that folder.