Most underrated and Overrated game

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by suzukhawaii, Jun 7, 2007.

1. senior98

senior98 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    xfx 8800GT 512mb
    Here's my list

Overrated:
    Halo ( I am a huge fan of the series but all the hype that goes around it now a days is just retarded, It's a very good game imo but there's better)

WoW (Played it and didn't like it)

Supreme Commander

Counter Strike Source (Game is all right but way overrated.

Underrated:

Half life DM

Need For Speed SE

Quake 3 Arena

Battlefield 1942

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  2. Armoured

Armoured Ancient Guru

can't believe some people think FEAR is over rated...the game is amazing. best shooter i have played.

Over rated - BF2
    Under rated - Prince of Persia (all of them)

3. MiNI

MiNI Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 6950 unlock 950/1400
    I agree 110% ! Had some of the most fun playing that game :) (Was in the clan called Warsaw)

-MiNI

4. Dieheart

Dieheart Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 8800GT 512MB
    Halo is basically the MOST OVERRATED game in the PC genre. It's multiplayer can be fun yes, but thats about it. The only reason why I kept playing the game was for the story.... thats it.

5. Dieheart

Dieheart Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 8800GT 512MB
    No,

GTA 3 was a very huge leap. It spawned to many copy cats its crazy. Not to meantion people at that time had never played a game like that before.

Now its sequals ARE OVERRATED, because they are nothing more than just add ons.

Far Cry - The graphics are still awsome to this day, but the story sucked ballz. And dont even try to sneak around in the game, its pointless cause the enemies can hear EVERYTHING in a 5 mile radius. Dont even get me started on the acting, and stupid ending.

6. Wunderbar_007

Wunderbar_007 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 570 GTX Superclocked
    Overrated:

HALF-LIFE SERIES: Now these aren't horrible games or anything like that, but I find that the story never really captures you and the game play is just boring, no matter how many pretty scripted events they throw at you. Just a regular FPS and I don't see anything special about it except for maybe the engine.

Overhyped:

CRYSIS: This game isn't even out yet and I'm sick of it. Everyday there is some new lame video of the same thing. Let's be honest, is it pretty? yes, very! Is there something special about it apart from that? Not that I can see. If I'm missing it, then please help me find it but in my opinion it'll follow the HALF-LIFE steps. It will be incredibly popular among the masses, will sell plenty of copies and a few months later we will all be here adding it to our overrated list. I liked the "survival" aspect of Far Cry and thought it was a great game with a very fun (although disappointing at the end) story. It got the publicity that it deserved. With Crysis though, I find the suit kind of ruins it. I find it makes you WAY to powerful based on the tons of videos I've seen. Plus, the AI looks retarded. All this is just my opinion however and I hope I am wrong because PC gaming needs some good new classics.

Under hyped:

UNREAL TOURNAMENT 3: I really really want this game to make it big but we barely hear about it. I wish people would look away from Crysis even if just for a moment and help spread the word about this game.

Underrated:

The first DEUS EX: I cannot believe there are still gamers out there who haven't played this game. It's incredible. Played it over 20 times and it's always great. Story, voice acting, game play, everything is top notch. The only problem now is the graphics but we should all know by now that graphics don't make a game.

GROUND CONTROL SERIES: Give them a shot guys, they are awesome! Very fun and action filled. Simple and easy to pick up but hard to truly master. Great strategy game in my opinion with a nice single player story as well.

SUPREME COMMANDER: Even though the game runs at 10 fps on my pc, I still think its one of the best STRATEGY games ever made. You are in complete control of a huge battlefield and if you get into it, it's very, very fun. So many ways to defeat you opponent!

UNREAL TOURNAMENT SERIES: One of my favourite games ever. I understand if you're not into very fast paced shooters, but if you haven't checked them out yet, you are missing out!

SYSTEM SHOCK 2: I don't honestly know how popular this game is amongst you gurus or how accepted it was by the gaming community at its release, but this game, same as Deus Ex, has it all. Scared the fack out of me and kept me entertained until the very end....and more than once.

7. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Most Overrated:

Half-Life 2 & Episode 1
    Halo 2

Most Underrated:

Max Payne Series
    Blood Rayne Series
    Contract Jack (Prequel to NOFL 2)
    Hitman Silent Assassin (The Best of the games I've played in the series so far)

I'd agree here, too! Especially the 1st one.

8. Armoured

Armoured Ancient Guru

UT3 is a game that doesn't need hype to sell. it already has a huge fan base, and it's known that it's a must have.

9. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    overrated:
    Halo series
    HL2 and teh episode 1(loved first half-life but imho number two was bad)
    Oblivion (though i like to play at times its a bit overrated :) )
    WoW
    any GTA after first one

underrated
    Fallout 1&2
    POP series
    STALKER (having one of the most immersive atmosphere ive encountered in fps games)
    FEAR
    Z: Steel Soldiers
    Supreme Commander

10. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080

LOl nice one!

Over:

SupCOm
    TRL (never liked the series so...)

Under

SimCity4

11. blue5

blue5 Banned

GPU:
    evga 9800GTX (685/1115)
    Quake 4 was fine, but it seriously lacked innovation. Too much reliance on formula stories.
    Overrated:
    Tom clancy games
    splinter cell games
    Street fighter series. Don't get me wrong its a classic......that been repeated and raped to no end.

Underrated:
    Ganja farmer
    Slave Zero
    Alien vs predator (The FPS)

12. PalmerEldritch

PalmerEldritch Active Member

GPU:
    Asus GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB
    Overrated: Half-Life 2 (it's so linear and boring)
    Underrated: Cronicles of Riddick - Escape from Butchers Bay, Hitman: Blood Money

13. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    underated....

Gears Of War!!!

This has been the Best game i have ever played!!!
    Best story, Atmosphere.....JUmpy Bits.....Was awsome....yet heaps of people either dont like it or dont play it.

14. Grymn

Grymn Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GTS 512 750/2100 SLI
    Definetly an under rated game : Red Faction. Enjoyed it a lot more than Half Life at the time. Deformable terrain was a lot of fun, I wonder why that never caught on.

15. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    how did it end again? (serious question here) i finished it 2-3 years ago so i forgot (yeah it was such a forgettable game gameplay wise that all i remember were the graphics that awed me)

16. Grymn

Grymn Master Guru

GPU:
    Spoiler : the scientist dude who helped you in the begining turns out to be the bad guy.

17. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I think that LOTRO is underrated game. It really is awesome game (and ram hog).

18. Armoured

Armoured Ancient Guru

LOL...the bloke here thinks Gears of War is under rated...HAHA. when we say under rated we mean that it was a great game that didn't recieve the attention it deserved. to say GOW is under rated is the complete opposite. it was the most talked about game...it is over rated.

19. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    ahh yes..in that area where there were lavas and stuff..yep i remember..and it was quite easy to kill him too

anyway i think there is no need for a spoiler warning as most of us have finished the game already :D

20. Grymn

Grymn Master Guru

GPU:
    Hey I only finished it the other day, never made it to the end, got bored when I first played it a couple of years ago.