4Gb + Vista x64 + 8800 SLI...Bug FIXED?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Stangs55, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Stangs55

Stangs55 Member

GPU:
    R9 290X
    Been away for a while...is this huge bug/instability issue fixed in any of the recent drivers? Preferably the 158.24 WHQL official drivers?

2Gb sitting in my desk is killing me :puke3:

EDIT: For those searching, I've fixed this issue. See my post HERE

Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  2. Stangs55

Stangs55 Member

GPU:
    R9 290X
    **cough** **cough**

3. HamidFULL

HamidFULL Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4850 700/2200
    I can only say use latest means 158.45

4. deurbel

deurbel Active Member

GPU:
    Trippl 8800-620-1000-1500
    I can confirm, that SLI 8800 GTX is working with 158.45 drivers under vista x64 atleast in Oblivion en Battlefield2 i played it for hours.

I'd say try them.

grtz.

5. Stangs55

Stangs55 Member

GPU:
    R9 290X
    Is that with 4gb?

6. deurbel

deurbel Active Member

GPU:
    Yes, it's with 4gb's of ram :)

I have to say that i have not tried an other driver, because i just have vista x64 running for about a week but for so far no errors @ my system.

7. Stangs55

Stangs55 Member

GPU:
    R9 290X
    BSOD on startup right after adding 2 more sticks :(

I hate you nvidia.

8. zed201

zed201 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 CLASSIFIED
    It may be the MOBO
    is there not something in the Bios to turn on to get 4 GB to work
    dang cant remember what it is
    cant you run it with 1 card in and 4 GB

9. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    I don't see the link between Memory sticks and nVidia ... :3eyes:

If your Vista crashes after adding two sticks of Memory don't blame nVidia, blame your Motherboard's manufacturer and/or Microsoft. Look at your Memory timings, reduce the timings, try 2T Command Rate, try lower CAS speed, etc.

10. Stangs55

Stangs55 Member

GPU:
    R9 290X
    Sorry guys...but it's not my mobo and it is nVidia's fault.

In fact, they have a sticky on the subject on their Slizone forums here: http://forums.slizone.com/index.php?showtopic=3081 Didn't find this until after I had posted here.

I'm just one of many having this issue...sadly, there are not alot of us who are actually running 4gb + vista + 8800 SLI, so I don't see this as top priority since their vista drivers blow as it is...but I do see this as false advertising as nvidia sells me their Vista Compatable marketing sheet and I fork over a few extra hundred for 2 more gigs of ram. /sigh

11. zed201

zed201 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 CLASSIFIED
    looking at the book for your MOBO
    Evga 680i sli is that what you have
    there is a bios setting for SLI ready memory have you try change that
    to see what it dose
    I am not saying this is you problem
    also dose your MOBO support
    memory remapping feature I did not see it in the book
    My MOBO dose not so it only see 3.5 GB but i have 4 GB in it
    some thing about the way vista handles memory remapping
    it sees on board video memory as memory and cuts the memory
    read below

For Windows Vista to use all 4 GB of memory on a computer that has 4 GB of memory installed, the computer must meet the following requirements: • The chipset must support at least 8 GB of address space. Chipsets that have this capability include the following:• Intel 975X
    • Intel P965
    • Intel 955X on Socket 775
    • Chipsets that support AMD processors that use socket F, socket 940, socket 939, or socket AM2. These chipsets include any AMD socket and CPU combination in which the memory controller resides in the CPU.

• The CPU must support the x64 instruction set. The AMD64 CPU and the Intel EM64T CPU support this instruction set.
    • The BIOS must support the memory remapping feature. The memory remapping feature allows for the segment of system memory that was previously overwritten by the Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) configuration space to be remapped above the 4 GB address line. This feature must be enabled in the BIOS configuration utility on the computer. View your computer product documentation for instructions that explain how to enable this feature. Many consumer-oriented computers may not support the memory remapping feature. No standard terminology is used in documentation or in BIOS configuration utilities for this feature. Therefore, you may have to read the descriptions of the various BIOS configuration settings that are available to determine whether any of the settings enable the memory remapping feature.
    • An x64 (64-bit) version of Windows Vista must be used.
    Contact the computer vendor to determine whether your computer meets these requirements.

Note When the physical RAM that is installed on a computer equals the address space that is supported by the chipset, the total system memory that is available to the operating system is always less than the physical RAM that is installed. For example, consider a computer that has an Intel 975X chipset that supports 8 GB of address space. If you install 8 GB of RAM, the system memory that is available to the operating system will be reduced by the PCI configuration requirements. In this scenario, PCI configuration requirements reduce the memory that is available to the operating system by an amount that is between approximately 200 MB and approximately 1 GB. The reduction depends on the configuration.

This behavior is the expected result of certain hardware and software factors.

Various devices in a typical computer require memory-mapped access. This is known as memory-mapped I/O (MMIO). For the MMIO space to be available to 32-bit operating systems, the MMIO space must reside within the first 4 GB of address space.

For example, if you have a video card that has 256 MB of onboard memory, that memory must be mapped within the first 4 GB of address space. If 4 GB of system memory is already installed, part of that address space must be reserved by the graphics memory mapping. Graphics memory mapping overwrites a part of the system memory. These conditions reduce the total amount of system memory that is available to the operating system.

The reduction in available system memory depends on the devices that are installed in the computer. However, to avoid potential driver compatibility issues, the 32-bit versions of Windows Vista limit the total available memory to 3.12 GB. See the "More information" section for information about potential driver compatibility issues.

If a computer has many installed devices, the available memory may be reduced to 3 GB or less. However, the maximum memory available in 32-bit versions of Windows Vista is typically 3.12 GB.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  12. zed201

zed201 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 CLASSIFIED
    got this off of MS help site

13. deurbel

deurbel Active Member

GPU:
    Hi,

Maybe you should check the SLI Ready Memory setting, @ me its disabled, ( my mobo Gigabyte GA-N680SLIDQ6 doesnt support the feature currently with 4 sticks)
    & @ my BIOS there is no remapping function, maybe its configured automaticly.

Its running fine for me, maybe im one of the few?

device manager reports nicely 4095 Mb RAM & E6600 @ 3,4 ghz.

Im running it for a week or three for now and still no problems, all the games run fine + the dx10 demos too.

Hope this helps, greetz.

Edit, oh jah, Memory timings are 4 4 4 12 T2

14. hasoos

hasoos New Member

Checked other devices

Greetings!

Do you have any other hardware in your system which might interfere? For instance, I was crashing with BSOD's with 4 GB, and discovered that is was my creative labs sound card causing the crash. Yanked soundcard, put in Auzentech and never had a problem since.

Things to try:

1) If you have other various cards in your system try moving them to other slots.
    2) Run memtest on your memory and make sure the sticks are good. Try running with just the two sticks you would be adding in as your main memory instead to make sure they don't BSOD on their own.
    3) Ensure your bios is the latest greatest.
    4) Last but not least, make sure your power supply is up to snuff. If it is not up to snuff, you add the second graphics card in, it might not have enough juice to power all your ram stable.

15. Uli

Uli Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GTS 512 Crysis Ed.
    You have to raise the voltages of your mobo so it can handle 4 sticks. I've had the same issue and fixed it that way. Try +0.1V for ram at first then play with northbridge and fsb voltage.

16. Benke99

Benke99 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4870 1GB
  17. kontrarap

kontrarap New Member

GPU:
    2 8800gts Sli
    I am running 8800gts sli with 4gb of ram in vista64 with no issues at all!

18. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    4gb with SLI working fine in X64 here. I also had to fiddle with the voltage a bit to get it 100% stable, but now its rocks solid.

19. Waylander

Waylander Guest

hmm, ok, I'll put my other card back in then and play with the voltages a bit...

20. RealTelstar

RealTelstar Member

GPU:
    MSI gtx570 TwinFrozr III
    I was going to say the same. BSOD while loading OS = memory issue (voltage, bad stick). Use memtest from dos to be sure that your system is stable. Then think about drivers.