Purevideo HD - XP - When?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Gamergod, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Gamergod

Gamergod Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 512mb
    Getting very annoyed this is not yet in the XP drivers. I do not want to hear XP is dead, cause it is very much alive and performs better currently!

I paid for the feature, why not implement it?

2. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    do the 8800s support purevideo HD? what purevideo feature was it that was supported only by 8600s?

3. kiddbios

kiddbios New Member

Here Here. I installed Vista to get the PureVideo HD support, but it broke my SP/DIF output. So I can have XP with sound or Vista with accelerated video. Currently, I hate Vista. It is buggy, has enormous overhead even with everything turned off, and the driver and software support is suspect... at best.

4. ra990

ra990 New Member

Purevideo HD is supported on all cards since the GeForce 7 series. The 8500/8600 cards feature the new video processor VP2 which does more acceleration.

Currently there is no PureVideo HD support on any card under XP, only on Vista. Nvidia had said there would be a driver out in June that enables it under XP, but no such driver has been released yet.

5. spAik

spAik Member

GPU:
    Gainward 8800 GTS
    >165.01 enables purevideo HD2 for Geforce 8500/8600 Cards with newest Powerdvd 7.3 (dated 12.may)

for us 8800users i didnt find a working driver + filter combination

6. kiddbios

kiddbios New Member

Is that for Vista or XP?

7. Flerbizky

Flerbizky Member

GPU:
    MSI 8600GT 256Mb GDDR3
    And us XP users just got fubar'ed by nVidia again. Instead of the "Next Release" on the driver page, it now reads :
    Sucks to be us I guess... :-|

8. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    i dont get purevideo's advantage anyway, ive had them since my 6600GT but i dont see the difference..

all i know is that an nvidia logo appears in my system tray when watching DVDs using my WMP but i personally like the image on PowerDVD

9. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    becuase you hav to use the correct software and set it up to make it actually work.

10. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    how exactly do i set it up correctly?

i have purevideo and a purevideo capable card? what else do i have to do?

11. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
  12. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    err. was referring to purevideo (non-hd) as i dont have an HD dvd

13. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Well then its on the site..nvidia.com that is

14. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Active Member

GPU:
    geforce 8800gts
    i dont get purevideo either, so if i use powerdvd 7.3 i dont need to download the nvidia pure video codec then?? i installed the pure video codec on vista and whem im watching a dvd a litle icon comes up on my task bar but when im watching a dvd on power dvd it doesnt so im not sure that power dvd is using pure video properly

15. Flerbizky

Flerbizky Member

GPU:
    MSI 8600GT 256Mb GDDR3
    In PDVD, there's a tickmark that has to be ticked. Something like "Use Hardware Acceleration (nVidia Purevideo)"...

16. Despoiler

Despoiler Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire TRI-X R9 Fury
    PureVideo is fantastic. It's most noticeable with its motion compensation. No more blurring of the background on panning, sweeping, or moving shots of any kind. Just clear picture. FYI, you can tell if you have it working because it's icon will appear in your tray when you are playing a DVD. It will be an Nvidia icon similar to your GPU driver. Try using WMP to play a DVD. Seems to work to that by default.

17. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Active Member

GPU:
    geforce 8800gts

i do agree with u , i downloaded the purevideo codec from nvidia and just watched apocalipto ,no blurring or nothing quality was incredible ,im now thinking about geting a external 360hd dvd player and connect it to my pc ,now will the purevideo feature work on hd as well with my video card

18. Flerbizky

Flerbizky Member

GPU:
    MSI 8600GT 256Mb GDDR3
    Purevideo HD on XP Confirmed.

8600GT, PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra patched to 2911 and 165.01 drivers works...

Mr. & Mrs. Smith, 1080p, h.264, 20Mb/s is smooth sailing with 6-8% CPU Usage. Doom HDDVD, ripped to Harddrive - smooth as butter as well, but BSODs randomly with nv4_disp.sys... I did NOT remove the old 93.71 before installing, so that might help... If not, I'll try 165.03 later*..

* but not until the weekend - My X2 4600+, Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe and 2 x 1Gb DDR2 667 Crucial arrives either tomorrow or Frightday !.....

YES... Scr** you and the horse you rode in on nVidia - And thanks for nothing !.....

19. fivefeet8

fivefeet8 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800gtx @625/2100
    There still seems to be some confusion about Purevideo(3+ years after it's appearance).

1. The PureVideo Codec download at Nvidia.com is not the same as PureVideo Technology. It's only an MPEG2 codec which uses Nvidia gpu's to do hardware decoding of MPEG2 video streams(DVD, mpeg2). It's main usage is if you don't have a software DVD player like PowerDVD or winDVD as it will be used by Windows Media Player to hardware decode MPEG2 videos along with all the advanced capability of Purevideo Technology. However, if you have PowerDVD or WinDVD, they use their own MPEG2 decoders which also uses Directx Video Accelleration. PowerDVD currently has the option to use the Purevideo Codec as well as it's own MPEG2 decoder.

2. PureVideo Technology or PureVideo or Purevideo HD are terms used to describe the advanced video technologies in Nvidia gpu's that can enable hardware decoding of MPEG2, WMV, and H.264 video content. WMV hardware decoding has been available since the release of the 6600gt. H.264 hardware decoding is available on most Nvidia cards including the 6600gt to varying degrees of performance depending on the card in question. The HD in Purevideo HD simply means the technology is being used on HD 720p/1080p video streams(most likely for H.264). Something which makes it even more confusing since Purevideo has been able to do that for a long time on HD MPEG2 1080p/720p streams since the streams are still the same, but only the resolution has increased.

3. The 8800 cards have hardware decoding of MPEG2, WMV, and H.264. It can do MPEG2 and WMV hardware decoding bringing CPU usage down to the low 20% on my system. H.264 also gets hardware decode, but it's done mostly with shaders and consequently the CPU usage is a bit higher at around 30%-40%. Nvidia 8600/8500 cards have the new VDP2 hardware which offloads even more H.264 decoding onto the GPU bringing CPU usage down even further.

4. The things needed for hareware decoding of MPEG2, WMV,and H.264 are: Drivers with working Purevideo and Software which makes use of it.

For example, on my system using WinXP, I get around 20% CPU usage playing a MPEG2 1080p(16 mbit/sec bitrate video) of Gladiator. Video quality is excellent and I'm using PowerDVD 7.x. Playing a H.264 1080p(22 mbit/sec bitrate) video stream of King Kong on the same system in PowerDVD 7.x, I get around 30%-35% cpu usage. Playing a WMV 1080p video clip has CPU usage around 20%-25%.

These were done with the 158.22 winXp drivers.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  20. Flerbizky

Flerbizky Member

GPU:
    MSI 8600GT 256Mb GDDR3
    Just re-tested after using Gurus Driver Cleaner and re-installing 165.01 - I'm still getting random BSODs with when playing the Doom HDDVD... 165.03 will be tested later...

[Edit:] Weird... Re-installed 165.01 again - I am now more than halfway through Doom.. Still no BSOD in sight....

Last edited: Jun 6, 2007