I never expected this performane on a 8800

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by .Rain, Jun 2, 2007.

1. .Rain

.Rain Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870
    I recently upgraded to a 8800 gtx and am dissapointed on how low fps I get on games such as R6vegas and gta san andreas. I was expecting much higher performance on this card. Even old games such as Far Cry run slow on this gpu. WTF?, is this a problem with my card or is it a driver problem, or is the card just supposed to be like this?

2. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Windows Vista and driver problems could be why.

But that said things should improve.

3. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Well, if you're running 2560x1600 with 16xQAA and supersampling, you might get low FPS :\

You might be a little clearer, like to say which drivers/OS/CP settings/game settings you use :\

4. Warboy

Warboy Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 2080 Ti
    Plus your CPU is running at near Stock Speeds, It could be bottlenecking, Try Overclocking more.

5. .Rain

.Rain Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870
    Win vista Ultimate 32 bit, my specs are below my username. Driver Version 160.03 beta. (Thinking on installing 145.45) I run far cry on high settings and the game does not run smooth, though i would expect it to with this GPU. Games that run smooth on my PC are Stalker, and Half Life 2, so far, both with max settings. Resolution at 1024 x 768.

6. KCjoker

KCjoker Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460/w LG 24 LCD
    Wow you're playing at 10x7?? Something is VERY wrong. What do you get in 3dMark06?

7. mullinsmedic

mullinsmedic Master Guru

GPU:
    msi gtx 970 in sli

you game at a res of 1024x768 and you bought a 8800gtx??? you could have saved yourself about $300 dollars and still got the same performance out of the 8800gts 320mb...your severely cpu bound at that res...so your gpu horsepower is going to waste

but as for your other concerns of low fps, change your drivers..those are quadro drivers, thats why they dont work well on older games, update drivers to 158.45

8. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Also you should see uber high Framerates at any settings with that res :3eyes:

Try the latest beta drivers from NVidia self, also did you plug the power connectors correctly in the GPU (firmly pressed in?)??

Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  9. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    You will only see the tru power of your 8800GTX on high resolutions , more like 1600/1200 and up , true.

10. .Rain

.Rain Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870
    Question: My e6600 is at a cpu multiplier of x6. Is this the default setting?
    Still, it's really weird how far cry is running slow on a 8800 gtx. Still there's hope, since newer games such as Stalker run fine.

11. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

Multiplier of 6600 its 9x , go into your bios and disable speedstep and all that crap under your cpu settings , maybe thats why your system its underperforming.

Run CPU-Z and check it out here:

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

The multiplier should read like this 9x :

Look at where it says multiplier on my cpu-z validation it says 9x , I hope it helps you understand .

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=190733

12. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Even if his problem is solved overclocking it wouldn't hurt. He has the right motherboard for it, might as well push it to at least 3.6.

13. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apple M2 Pro
  14. NvidiaFreak

NvidiaFreak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7660D
    16x csaa with 16x af and gamma on with multisample is the best for any game. supersample is over kill in any GPU since it eat 5% more of gpu power.

15. Darkoz

Darkoz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 ULTRA xXx 675/2.3GHz
    Why would you bother getting a GTX and then play games at 1024 x 768 resolution, makes no sense.
    Something is not right with your setup as I remember being able to play FarCry with a 6800GT at higher resolutions and settings.
    I haven't come across a game yet that doesn't play well at 1920x1200 on a GTX, your problem is not the card or the driver.

16. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    Slow down there bro, saying something like that could cause someone to fry their cpu really fast. Not all e6600's can get to 3.6 easily, and some just can not at all.

17. .Rain

.Rain Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870
    Downloaded the new bios for my motherboard and the cpu multiplier is now ay x9. But there still seems to be a problem, CPUZ shows the multiplier changing from x9 to x6 and from 1600 mhz to 2400mhz about every 3 seconds. Is it supposed to be like this? Even with my new BIOS though, still low performance on games. I was thinking on reinstalling vista, would this solve anything?

18. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Its called speed step its normal its designed to save power.

Look around in the BIOS to turn it off.

19. mookman2020

mookman2020 New Member

GPU:
    Evga GTX260 core 216
    It is called buggy nvidia vista drivers. Go back to windows xp and get better frames per second.

20. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x670GTX @40"+26" Samsung
    the multiplier is totaly fine. its the intel powersafing function that is reducing the multi and the voltage if you run your cpu idle. there is absolutly no problem to leave it that way because it will jump back to full throttle the instant you do something with your pc.

btw to your issues... did u have an ati before? kill all the drivers of the old card, maybe do a fresh OS setup and install everything fresh. drivers might be a problem in your case. anyway playing games with 10x7 is a waste with a gtx. you only get the real deal with resolutions above 16x12 / 16x10.

and ye overclock your cpu. e6600 should allways go up to at least 3ghz