RivaTuner v2.01

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Unwinder, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

The meaning of each parameter is explained in details in fan controller's datasheet. Your card uses ADT7473, so the datasheet for it can be found here:

http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Data_Sheets/206619465ADT7473_0.pdf

I'd like to warn you once again, that auto fan control rule editing is locked by default not just for fun. Edit it only if you are familiar with fan controller's specs and completely understand the principles of automatic fan control.

2. mew905

mew905 Member

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX260-216
    Unwinder, I have been spending many sleepless nights trying to get my laptop running as it should be. Rivatuner and Coolbits are the only two tools I trust for overclocking, and being that coolbits doesnt work in Vista anymore, I'm forced to revert to your program (I say this because I prefer to have all the options in one panel, rather than installing another program)

Unfortunately, under Vista, I'm stuck with one of two options in terms of video performance. My card is a 64MB GeForce FX Go5200 (stock is 198MHz core 396MHz memory)

#1: I can bite the bullet, go for Aero Glass, and be stuck with a retarded video card (literally, I'm stuck at 100MHz core 199MHz memory) and be completely unable to play any games with driver version 97.81 (there was one driver I found where it actually used the stock speeds, but it was so buggy I was better off with the retarded ones)

#2: I can install really old, Windows XP drivers from April 2004, and regain the ability to overclock and savour the NORMAL stock speeds, but lose the sexy Aero interface my girlfriend and I love (Windows XP can't do it properly). I've determined the cause of this is because Vista can't detect the VRAM properly (reads 0mb and disables glass)

I was wondering if it was at all possible to fix this issue, the overclocking for 97.81 I mean. I already know where my card is stable so I dont need the stress test.

3. Unwinder

Cannot help you, sorry. Mobile and integrated graphics processors are not suppoted and never will be.

4. mew905

mew905 Member

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX260-216
    Well I dont expect integrated to be included, and its understandable not to include mobile cards being they're custom made. Will it ever support the non mobile version, the FX 5200?
    It seems that my card is just a clocked down, less memory version (why drivers dont recognize it as that, I dont know).

Actually, does it use the installed forceware drivers? If so maybe its possible to mod the driver so rivatuner can use it?

5. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees Banned

GPU:
    8800GT 512MB 684Mhz/1836Mhz/2088Mhz
    A Geforce 5200? Are you serious dude? Those cards were already outdated when they got released. You just have to face the fact that your computer is worthless, especially the card... Don't ask Unwinder to put time in this.

Tweaking your card will get you 1.1fps in 3DMark05 instead of 1fps...

6. Unwinder

Desktop NV34 (FX 5200) family is fully supported by tool.

7. mew905

mew905 Member

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX260-216
    in 05 maybe. My card (244/477) gets a bare minimum of 80fps in GT1 in 3DMark 03 (nothing impressive I know, but its a comparison number), my brothers FX 5200 (300/450) tops out at 60fps and drops to 13fps. The benchmarks between the Radeon 9000 and 9200 arent apples to apples either. The FX 5200 is DX9, the 9000 and 9200 is DX8. Just because its a low end card doesnt mean it wasnt great back in the day. being I got the card back in Aug. 03, 3D Mark 05 comparisons arent anything near fair for this card, and being in a laptop, I can't upgrade. Pretty much, all I can do is O/C it, maybe a Vmod if I can figure it out, and hope for the best.

8. krusher_r

krusher_r Member

Automatic fan control

Thanks for the reply Unwinder; I didn't realize until tonight that there was a page 5. (I had bookmarked page 4.) I'll review the data sheet tonight or tomorrow and will provide a summary. I'm an EE and not a programmer, so I'll stick to the hardware. :)

9. krusher_r

krusher_r Member

Autofanspeed adjustment

I was going to type up a detailed summary of the Analog Devices data sheet, but then you could just skim it yourself if you wanted a detailed summary. So, here's a quick one.

Tmin is the temp at which the automatic temp control starts to kick in. Below this value, the fan runs at some fixed speed, unless Tlowlimit is set. Tlowlimit can back the fan speed down even more for super-quiet operation. In my situation, Tmin and Tlowlimit are set to the same speed. I'd have to watch my fan speed on a cool computer tomorrow to see if it's less than 1465RPM, but I'd be OK with running the fan at a very low speed if the environment was very cool anyway.

Trange is the slope at which the fan speed increases. If you increase Duty Cycle Min but keep Trange the same, then the fan hits maximum speed faster because you've increased the starting point.

Toperating appears to be a 'catch all' for the programmers in case they set Tmin wrong. Toperating has the ability to decrease or increase the Tmin setting to compensate on-the-fly.

Thighlimit will increase the fan speed by adjusting Tmin. At 92C, I think my card would lock up. But, this setting (along with Tlowlimit) has the ability to set an interrupt. i.e., it can tell that card that a temperature limit has been exceed. Thighlimit may be used by nVIDIA to simply increase the rate of the fan speed after 92C; it could also be used to shut your video card off too. Lowering Thighlimit would not necessarily make the fans hit 100% anyway, just make them speed up faster. So, lowering this one has a little risk due to the unknown.

What to mess with then...hmm. The safest fix would be to simply lower Toperating 5C. This will automatically increase the lower setpoint and the rate (because Tmin increases). Alternatively, notice that nVDIDA seemed to pick an arbitrary 10C spacing between Tmin=Tlowlimit, Toperating, and Thighlimit. You might be able to make your card super-cooled but still quiet :) by decreasing all of these values 10C for example, but I don't know what happens when Thighlimit is reached. If someone can verify that their card functions ok a few degrees over 92C and doesn't shut down, then this is the route I'd go. Otherwise, I'll just drop Toperating 5C and that should work.

If anyone finds any corrections to this let me know.

Thanks.

10. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees Banned

GPU:
    8800GT 512MB 684Mhz/1836Mhz/2088Mhz
    Sorry, but the FX5200 is not a real dx9 card. I've read it in a lot of magazines back in the days.

11. mew905

mew905 Member

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX260-216
    I've read lots of articles and magazines back in its day as well, what do you expect of a first gen DX9 card? the FX series was screwed up from the start, we all know that. However you can't say it's not a real DX9 card, what defines a 'real' DX9 card? Raw horsepower? Using that logic, the GeForce 6200 isn't a real DX9c card. It may have more power than the FX 5200, but compared to it's bigger brother(s) the 6800's, its nothing. Also the fact that there is no other low-end DX9 cards in it's generation makes it a hard competitor in its day.

The point is, that because it's DX9 compaitable (unfortunately 9c didnt come out for a while after this card, so super-uber gfx are gibbled) I am able to play alot of newer games while still looking fairly good (albeit at low resolutions, my screen is 1024x768, so I'm not tempted to crank the resolution up higher).

I can play NFS carbon at 30fps at 640x480 with pretty decent graphics. Yeah, you're laughing now, my bro's GF 6600GT OC AGP can pull that off at 1280x1024 @max, point is, for being 3 generations old now, it can still flick you in the pants in terms of gaming (lol).

As soon as i get ahold of a new computer, my laptop is going back to an un-overclocked mobile workstation (and being without games, I can use Aero glass again! w00t)

Anyway, let this be the end of this, as we're spamming up unwinder's thread.

Last edited: May 9, 2007
  12. Barton C++

Barton C++ Guest

GPU:
    MSI Hawk GTX460 1GB @ SLI
    Woah ! One of the most valuable apps on my PC ! Thx for sharing it with us, Unwinder !

Fan control and OC works great on my Vista Home Premium 32bit and 8800GTS, all from one app :D Beat that nvidia

13. demo123

demo123 New Member

Rivatuner

Hallo Unwinder,
    first of all thanks a lot for the best overclocking utility i´ve ever used.And i use it since the very first beginning.
    But one question bother me really hard:what happens after 165 driver ?
    Do you continuing development of Rivatuner to 170 or 180 or ... driver?

Best regards

14. Unwinder

Let's talk about it after publishing 170.xx or 180.xx driver families, right? I cannot peek in the future ;)

15. Jonny Manc

Jonny Manc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA 3080 LHR
    Big thanks from me, nice to have good OC & fan control in Vista.

Anyway this can be digitally signed so I can run it at startup without that crappy Vista error stopping it!!??

16. Unwinder

Read the thread from the beginning.

17. Jonny Manc

Jonny Manc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA 3080 LHR
    My apologies for being a lazy ar*e and not reading the thread from the beginning......

To add weight to the previous post about donations, you ask for $2 from all downloaders to cover cost of digital signature??

Either way, best tool for my gfx I have used......MASSIVE THANKS!!!!!

18. LoCash

LoCash New Member

Heya Unwinder.......I'm impressed by the Tuner and I wanted to say thanks, but I'm having a slight problem. Fan control works great and I'm very thankful for that, but when I attempt to overclock with the Tuner through the drivers it will not hold the Core clock on the GPU, at least according to the Riva Monitor. It holds the memory overclock fine, but after a few seconds the core clock drops back to default settings. I attempted to underclock it and Riva still reported default core clock.

I'm running Vista Basic x64, using an eVGA 680i SLI with a single eVGA 8800 GTS and the current x64 vista forceware drivers (158.18). I notice those drivers are not specifically listed in the release notes, and logically so, as the drivers weren't released until May 2nd. As you may know Ntune and NvMonitor don't work very well with Vista x64, but when I can get nvmonitor to work it reports that the clock is what I changed it to in Riva, as does ntune's control panel. I'm running only modest overclocks with damn near default voltages on everything else. There was no difference in this phenomenon whether I overclocked the PCI Express slot the vid. card is docked in or not. I'm not sure if it's just that the monitor isn't reporting it correctly or what, but the temps that it's reporting for the core don't appear to rise by much either. I additionally tried completely uninstalling all remnants of ntune, but it also didn't make a difference. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for the time you put into this!

Last edited: May 13, 2007
  19. Unwinder

Tip: you don't seem to understand the difference between target and currently set (monitored) clocks. There are 2D and 3D clocks and there is a thing called throttling. Refer to FAQ supplied with program.

Last edited: May 13, 2007
  20. LoCash

LoCash New Member

Thanks for your prompt and informative response.

I should have read the FAQ more carefully. :behead:

All is well! Thanks again!