Upgrade to 8800gtx. Can my 480watt psu handle the load?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by damasta, May 10, 2007.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    First part right, second part wrong. My friend just burned through a 440 on a 8800GTS. Despite calculations and what ever some people may say, you want at least 500+ watts. I'd recommend a 800WATT OCZ, as it works great for me.

2. jonerkinsella

jonerkinsella Guest

GPU:
    rx480
    i am not wrong ,just wrong in your opinion.
    but we agree on the point.
    a good quality 650w will be sufficiant.
    but i chose to go with a 750w because i have a d5 wc pump running also.

3. damasta

damasta Guest

GPU:
    Palit HD4850 512mb
    Anyone with an answer for the post #35???

4. macdaddy

macdaddy Guest

GPU:
    TITAN X
    Not too sure but i think you should be alright as long as your psu has a combined total over 30A.

5. paulonone

paulonone Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 TI
    Be very carefull with your choice about the PSU. I had a Be Quiet 530W Psu (a solid brand in Europe) and yesterday i had the biggest scare of my life. I was playing Tomb Raider again to see how my 8800GTX performed and the PSU blew up! It had 34a@12v and it couldn't handle the stress. Today i've bought a 700w psu and i was preying that my system was not damaged and i think i was very lucky (for once).

6. Ya Mother

Ya Mother Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX770 amp
    why dont you go half way if ur not sure about the 320 and get the 640mb gts?

7. damasta

damasta Guest

GPU:
    Palit HD4850 512mb
    What do you mean "blew up"! Are you speaking metaphoricaly? Your system just shut down or something worse?? I thought that that Be Quiet have some kind of safety for overload, how that didn't work?

8. damasta

damasta Guest

GPU:
    Palit HD4850 512mb
    I am thinking about buying the 640mb too but after I read the link at post #39 I feel a little safier in trying a gtx in my system

9. paulonone

paulonone Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 TI
    Well, it just blew up. I've heard a noise like a firecracker (sorry the english...lol) and the system has shutted down. Also, in the electrical board of my house, one of the switches went down too. Thank God nothing happened to my system, maybe because of some kind of safety from the psu or from my electrical board. I was having readings from everst that the 12v line was at 12.05/12.10 so it was ok, but it looks like i was wrong. Today a 700w psu arrived at my house, it has 56a so i think i'm ok now.:D

Last edited: May 11, 2007
  10. FreakyNaughty

FreakyNaughty Active Member

GPU:
    Evga 8800GTX
    Would a silverstone 600W Strider 42A handle a 8800GTX and E6600?

Thought i would post in here, because this relates to it.

11. ntfx

ntfx Guest

probably yeah, But i wouldnt recommend only a 600w for a GTX and if your going to OC too. Remember, the more you OC the card and the cpu, the more amps that get eaten up, and more watts too.

For a e6600 and a gtx i wouldnt get less than 750w with over a 40amp rating you state but thats just me...

12. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    so it was working fine for sometime then it just blew up? how long was it working with the GTX before it "blew up"?

13. paulonone

paulonone Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 TI
    I've bought the psu about a year ago and the 8800GTX about 20 days so i think that the GTX is responsible for the problem. Without the GTX never had a problem and i was running the same rig but with a 7900GT.

14. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    how many amps did the PSU have on the 12vrail?

and was the GTX oced then?

15. paulonone

paulonone Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 TI
    The psu has 2x12v rail with 20a each which makes 34a total. And yes, my GTX is overclocked (620/2100) but not to the max. In the "detect optimal settings tab" in nvidia drivers i've got a 675/2216(!) with stock cooling. Now i've bought a quad rail psu with 18a on each 12v making 56a.

16. damasta

damasta Guest

GPU:
    Palit HD4850 512mb
    The 8800gtx needs 2 plugs to power up. how do you know whick one belong to rail X and which one to rail Y in order to use both rails to the gpu???

17. DaddyD302

DaddyD302 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus Master 4090
    I skipped most of the posting. My only question is, why on earth would you risk frying a $600+ card with that PSU? You are taking a big chance...

18. damasta

damasta Guest

GPU:
    Palit HD4850 512mb
    In the beginning I was thinking of changing the psu, but some guyz at the forum told me to try and use the old psu and see what happens. A. PSU could be destoyed, so I will buy an other one and everything is ok B. My system will work just fine. Why to buy a new psu without trying the old one first and see how it goes? Do you think that I think something wrong?

19. damasta

damasta Guest

GPU:
    Palit HD4850 512mb
    may i ask something a little off-topic: If I use 2 8800gts 320mb to built an sli system do they have to be from the same manufacturer?

20. macdaddy

macdaddy Guest

GPU:
    TITAN X
    they dont have to be but best to make sure the have the same clock that means oc the same for same as stock