nvlddmkm stopped responding in Windows Vista, Vista Driver Problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by max883, Mar 26, 2007.

1. zed201

zed201 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 CLASSIFIED
    try the 101.70 driver there alot better then the 101.41 or the 100.65
    and fthey fix some problem

2. Carnoustie

Carnoustie Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti
    it makes no difference what version you install,32bit or 64 bit the error is still there.

3. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    This is incorrect..... some still do, but the majority don't!!

Read up first before you throw wild un substantiated statements.

4. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    For me 100.65 is the most stable, with 0 stability problems. Both 101.41 and 101.70 gave me tons of this problem.

5. ridesy

ridesy Active Member

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX 285
    Datagg3,

I would say the same to you, as if you read through the NVIDIA forum post you will see many, many people with 64 bit Vista with this issue and if you then consider that the number of 32 bit installs outnumbers 64 bit 10:1, you would understand that the problem is as pervelant in 64 bit installs as it is in 32 bit!

I have 64 bit now and have no issues, but I had 32 bit installed until a recent MB/CPU upgrade and I had no problems on that OS either, so like many of these Vista issues it seems as much luck of the draw as anythine else!

But saying 64 bit is a better option, simply isn't the case!

Ridesy

6. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    I respectfully disagree. but we are both entitled to our opinion's so it's all good

7. ridesy

ridesy Active Member

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX 285
    OK, we will have to both respectfully disagree with each other then, as I often find these issues truly odd, as either by luck or judgement I haven't had any with either!

8. DancherBoi

DancherBoi New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 640MB
    I had this problem. It's amazing how many people had this start happening after running 3D games fine for weeks, then all of a sudden during the last week of March, many started noticing this.

I have performed all the myriad of fixes that people have tried and none of them worked for me. I underclocked my RAM, completely uninstalled beta drivers and replaced with official ones, reinstalled Vista on top of itself, even ran around the house naked doing an Indian ritual dance.

Finally, I decided to start from scratch. First I went back and OC'd my CPU and RAM, then I backed up my data, formatted my RAID array, and reinstalled Vista clean. This time I used the 101.70 drivers to start with. I did this on 4/11, and so far I have not once gotten the nvlddmkm stopped responding error. I have so far played Vista Chess and UT2004. I have not yet run an intense benchmark test. (I am afraid) But I will this weekend after I reinstall all of my games (BF2, HL2, GRAW, Heroes M&M, etc.).

Wish me luck.

9. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    I only get the nvlddmkm stopped responding error about every 3rd or 4th time i restart my computer.And i have nothing overclocked or anything like the problem threads.Vista just plain sucks.:ying:

10. DancherBoi

DancherBoi New Member

GPU:
    Did you guys hear my screaming from Ohio? Got home from work today and started installing BF2, before I could even finish the install, got the error for the first time after a clean Vista install simply by using IE7. That's without any 3D running, except Aero. I can't believe it. I am feeling really duped. I have a new kick-a$$ rig and can't game on it unless I install XP. I am about to take off my clothes and try another dance. [pulling out my already thinning hair] I am now at the mercy of nVidia as many of you are.

11. schmiggy_jk

schmiggy_jk Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS 640MB Super Clocked
  12. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    Its not a hardware problem,its vista or the nvidia drivers.Never had a problem in xp at all.

13. ridesy

ridesy Active Member

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX 285
    Hey Guys,

I shouldn't have opened my big mouth should I!!!!

Guess what - nvlddmkm error last night in Vista 64 Ultimate - YES - 64 bit!!

First one ever and what was I doing at the time - "bugger all" -had one of the dreamscene backgrounds up (the pretty running stream one) and was doing good old boring home accounts on MS Money 2007!!!

That's IT - no intense 3D games (as I have already said I don't play games on Vista yet - always use XP), so was it Dreamscene - well we'll see as I've turned it off now!

I just hope some new drivers are out before Halo 2 Vista, or MS and NVIDIA really will get compaints, as then you have to use Vista and it will by all accounts be a very graphics intense game and if you can't run it on the current top of the line Vista kit (ala mine):

EVGA 680i (A1) motherboard - 680 is the recommended chipset for best Vista.
    2 x 8800GTX cards in SLI - the top dog (for now) for Vista
    4Gb DDR800 RAM and Vista Ultimate 64!!

Anyways - hoping no more black screen flashes with Dreamscene off and will now report bug to NVIDIA just so they know youi don't have to be gaming to get the error.

Ridesy

14. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Yes this is one common thing here is Dreamscene.... i too got this error across the board while using the water fall....

15. Carnoustie

Carnoustie Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti
    I dont have to read up on anything,I have seen it first hand on both OS`s.:smoke:

16. DancherBoi

DancherBoi New Member

GPU:
    I have DreamScene installed, but have not turned it on at all and I get the error just browsing with IE7. I can just forget about loading a 3D game until this is rectified. I am about to send EVGA a support message and see what they have to say.

17. schmiggy_jk

schmiggy_jk Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS 640MB Super Clocked
    Well that may apply to you, so congrats. But others get the lock ups in XP too, me being one of them.

18. DancherBoi

DancherBoi New Member

GPU:
    I sent an e-mail to EVGA today and got a response within 3.5 hours on a Saturday. Their website shows that their tele support is only during business hours on weekdays, so I am very happy with the response time. However, the response was basically, wait for a more mature driver from nVidia or RMA the card.

However, during those 3.5 hours, I did some more digging and found a post on another site indicating that someone had backed off the beta drivers and installed 100.65. So I restarted Vista in safe mode, uninstalled the 101.70 driver, rebooted into normal mode, installed 100.65, then rebooted one more time. It worked. I can now play 3D games again.

19. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    This has been the only "stable" driver from the get go. Note, its not the best for performance, or settings but it is more "Stable" than the others.

20. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070