nvlddmkm stopped responding in Windows Vista, Vista Driver Problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by max883, Mar 26, 2007.

1. max883

max883 Banned

GPU:
    Asus 780Ti SLi
    Hi,

I'm having the folowing problem since I installed Windows Vista RTM x86 6000 on my PC.

I've a PCI-x Geforce 8800GTX

Using the drivers :
    Windows Vista x86 RTM
    Version: 100.65

Every time I'm playing a game (f.ex. : Need For Speed Carbon)

After a while the screen becomes black and the game stops for +/- 15 seconds.
    Windows tells me : Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, but has succesfully recovered.
    After that I can go on and play the game until the same problem happens again.
    Windows XP doesn't give me this problem.
    So it is a Driver or Vista problem.

I've searched the whole internet after this problem but I've still haven't found a sollutionfor this problem.
    Help Anyone ?

Greetz,

mats

2. HTF

HTF Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I just started getting this today on my rig. Running 101.41 on my 7900GTO. I am running Vistam Ultimate retail. It is very odd, it only does it with Source engine games for me :(

3. jaimyp

jaimyp Active Member

GPU:
    Jetway 8800GT 512MB
    Guys,

this is a well known problem. You can check the original thread on the nvidia forums here:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=25381

I had this problem to and I could solve this by lowering the ram speed. It's not said that it will fix it for you to but you can try setting your ram to lower speed / timings.

Good luck.

4. tupelo20

tupelo20 Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 SSC in SLI
    Has to do with auto settings

Try disabling SLI memory, if you have some. And try setting your clocks at manual speeds.
    Same goes for FSB settings set all manual.

It helped in my case I had the display stopped responding every 2 minutes after setting all to manual I haven't had the problem since.

Edit

It went well for 2 days but has come back in evil form, now my desktop is crashing every 30 seconds.:(

Found a thread on NVIDIA forums in which NVIDIA does acknowlegde the problem.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=31913

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007

5. Dupoint

Dupoint Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 X2 2GB
    Guys, this keeps happening to me as well...Running Vista Ultimate with specs on left. Problem is VERY random, tried all sorts of settings, default ram speeds, No OC, but even then it didn't fix it. Sometimes it seems like it's gone, only to return at the most unexpected time.
    Got so exasperated that I went back to gaming in WinXP. Vista needs a BIG patch...

6. Infinity7_00

Infinity7_00 Banned

GPU:
    NVidia GTX580SC 1536mb
    I had this problem just the other night while I was watching a DVD with the player in Vista Media Center about half way through the DVD. I don't think I've ever had the error before with my Vista Ultimate and Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93 GHz overclocked to 3.3 GHz and overclocked RAM and 8800 GTX and ASUS P5WDH Deluxe motherboard. I did a quick search on the net for info about the NVidia 101.41 drivers and DVD and saw that supposedly there was a known issue with that so I changed my vid driver to 100.65 then finished watching the DVD. However, I don't think that was the entire thing going on anyway cuz of what you guys have written here.

I think I may know what it is. I had read other articles about Vista and games previously back when it was in beta and they were recommending that we should set our Windows Vista swap file to a static fixed size so Vista would not keep changing the size of the swap file at various times and that seemed to make the performance of games with Vista better. So, I had done that.

I went into the menu for the swap file (menu called Virtual Memory) and saw the number that is recommended for my swap file, then I clicked on Custom Size radio button then used that number that was recommended for both the Initial Size and also the Maximum Size then clicked Set then Ok then rebooted my system for the settings to take effect.

I think was getting the NVidia driver error only the other night because it was playing a real long DVD and somehow the swap file finally got bogged up at that point, but I'm not sure, just theorizing. So, bottom line, I would suggest you try setting a fixed Custom Size for your swap file (Virtual Memory) then reboot and try playing again and see if improvement.

7. chief Dave

chief Dave Master Guru

GPU:
    4 x 290x
    same issues here, but only after shivering isles patch and add on to oblivion. Pisses me off big time, as it was fine before. Drivers in and out, bumped multi down same issues... grrr vista is realy pissing me off and if I had time, I would be running XP again right now:puke3:
    Dave

8. Stangs55

Stangs55 Member

GPU:
    R9 290X
    Welcome to the nvidia-vista cluster F

Been having these problems for months

9. CoolaX365

CoolaX365 Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia 8600 GT
    Hey guys, I had this problem with my Dell PC in December with Vista Ultimate RTM. The way that I, as well as others, resolved this was not because of the video drivers. It was due to a program called Intel Matrix Storage Manager that we needed on our PC's. There was a forum topic on Dell in which you can look through, I found it again:

http://www.dellcommunity.com/suppor...&thread.id=2415&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

Please check it out as it might resolve someone's problem. And yes, that is me on that message board, and I did point back to Guru3d as no one here helped me. :(

Good luck fellas!

10. chief Dave

chief Dave Master Guru

GPU:
    4 x 290x
    Brother we are all having issues:behead: I have tried everyhting, to include backing off the CPU and last nigh, I tried backing the RAM to no OC at all, SDP seetings (no SLI) and Oblivian still crashes.

BLUFF I am uninstalling the game and reinstalling and I hope this does it. If I have to reinstall the OS, XP SP2 is going back in and if I get to Vista, it will be installed just for fun, no games or applications. Come on with those drivers!!!!
    Dave

11. Smellbow

Smellbow Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080
    This issue is affecting me big time... seems very random! ive been playing oblivion and stalker all day today then all of a sudden boom, 3 of these errors in a row...

i do hope it gets fixed

12. Bob00100

Bob00100 Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTS 640MB SLI
    Sorry for being off-topic, but your avatar made me chuckle.

Homestar Ftw

13. Smellbow

Smellbow Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080
    :D homestar rules, he'd know how to fix it ;)

14. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE

Yeap the new current set as I have said creeps up on these errors in time. Soon also you'll be getting HL2.exe engine has stopped responding. This is all happening due to crap drivers from Nvidia

The only set that stopped this for me was 100.65...Yet no the best in features this set, they are more stable on so many levels.

15. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Active Member

GPU:
    geforce 8800gts
    ihad the same problem with vista32 bits i tried everything and nothing worked untill i changed to vista ultimate x64 i havent had a single error since

16. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Yeah this is my hopes too...... I just yesterday ordered from MS the alternate media cd, which is 32 to 64 bit version.... $10.00 bucks, to get it...its pretty amazing, i was thinking they would try to sock it to ya. I also paid for the up to 5 day delivery.

IMO 64 bit is able to handle computations much faster therefore eliminating so many of these current issues people are having. I remember(3 months ago) when i had XP x64 and how much better, faster my entire system ran..games and all.....

I should of went the 64 bit route with Vista from day 1...but better late than never.

So in the end, total cost $16 bucks for the conversion....and of course this will mean a fresh instal.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  17. biglonglenthman

biglonglenthman Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Extreme 8800GTX 621/2160
    Yeah, i was same i have been running 32bit home premium (got it for free otherwise would have gone ultimate) and although more programs and drivers work in 32bit vista, i got that same god damm error ^^ so though mays well try 64bit ive never used it other than on RC2. . . and well that put me off completely but up and running 100% few little problems lack of drivers for some thing including my xbox USB converter for my wheel, i refuse to buy a another wheel :p, but 64bit is great, games the lot all faster :D

And no error :D:D:D:smoke: :D:D:D. . . . . so far anyways:beam:

18. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Active Member

GPU:
    geforce 8800gts
    thats right vista ultimate x64 rocks!!!i can finally see what my geforce 8800 can do now

19. Na'Ryan

Na'Ryan Member

GPU:
    OCZ 8800GTX
    So that bug only effects Vista x32?
    Vista x64 dont have the driver problem?

If thats true guess I'll have a moan at my boss and get a x64 key instead :)

20. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Im not sure on the numbers, but it would seem that there is a significant amount of people that don't have as many issues than people running 32 bit.