New 8800 series drivers next Week

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Rich_Guy, Mar 28, 2007.

1. jamesrh

jamesrh Member

I was going to make the same point. Before I switched to XP I ran win2000, and there were a number of games that were advertised as XP only. If you tried to install them on a 2000 system, an OS check would prevent you. The reason given was always that the game just wasn't designed for XP (even though it had the same kernal as 2000). I and others found ways around those OS checks, and guess what - the games ran fine under 2000.

Same thing with drivers for my xfi card. An os check would prevent me from installing xfi updates on my 2000 system. Creative insisted they were only for XP. Found a way around the check--and the drivers worked fine. The only thing preventing them from working was the os check itself.

Now I know that xp to vista is a much bigger jump than 2000 to xp - but why did MS decide to make dx10 exclusive to Vista? I can't prove it, but my suspicion is that it was done to give gamers a strong incentive to make the switch. That's what this whole "Games for Windows" deal is about.

The idea that MS offers a new OS only when it's going to be a real benefit to the consumer is a joke. (Anyone remember Windows ME?) They make their money by driving consumers to update their software, whether they need to or not.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  2. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    first off.... to address the "games for windows" thing.... i think that was done not only as a way of advertising games running on Vista.... but also to try to rekindle the PC gaming market. I remember probably about a year or so ago..... i went into a local EB Games.... and they had no PC games. i was like "where'd the PC games go?". the person behind the counter told me there wasn't as much of a demand for PC games as there was for console games. kinda irritated me... but there's other means of getting PC games other than EBGames/Gamestop.

As for the whole thing with the development kits and stuff running on XP x64.... it may be.... but let me ask you this.... was there ever a video showing the game itself actually running on XP, and not in a pre-rendered/video fashion? I know the dev kit is basically the same thing as the game, but...... eeh.... i dunno. Only way to tell would be to figure out what OS they had the demos running on at the GDC or E3 or wherever they had the one part playable.

3. ChaosPhoenix

ChaosPhoenix Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GLH 1080GTX
    Mhm Stalker driver? Don't get me wrong, I'm playing stalker, but do I have to download a driver for every game now?

4. jamesrh

jamesrh Member

I hear you man. It'll be a sad day for me if PC games fade away. But are you so sure that Games for Windows is really the solution? I've read at least one story where some independent developers felt it would make things harder for them, not better. The whole "Games for Windows" thing is supposed to have a rigorous vetting process for a game to carry that label, similar to what the MPAA makes film makers go through to get a rating. And just like with the MPAA, developers will have to pay for the right to get that rating, and many independent developers won't have the funds to pay out for something like that on top of all their other development costs. And if you don't get the "Games for Windows" label? 99 percent of the average consumer base is never going to hear about your game ...

I want PC games to thrive as much as anyone. I'm just not sure MS really has the gaming community's best interests at heart here.

5. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    You guys are way off here. Vista will revive PC games. Lets not forget how MS is going to integrate windows live and the Xbox360 with PC's so both platforms can go at each other. The biggest reason IMO why all this hostility is that Nvidia is not performing well with Vista. Nvidia had the basic code for Vista for a long time prior to its launch and did nothing to prepare for its launch excpet to boast they are Vista compatible. People took this as meaning they would work out of the box, which just wasn't the case.

Now we are 3 plus months down the road and Nvidia still hasn't stepped up to the plate. Hell, even Texas holdem still doesn't work in Vista with a 8800.... MS's fault, no way..Nvidia should be ashamed for how they are handling this new era and understand that they alone are the ones tarnishing what we have today.

For anyone who has Vista right now knows how great of an OS it is. And the ones who don't are holding back for they see issues with Games..... and what platform do we all see as having issues, thats right ...Nvidia!!!!!

if I was MS id be seriously going after Nvidia, giving them a time line that THEY must meet, or yank there license to be placed on a vista Box.

6. chriscicc

chriscicc Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTX + XFX 6600GT
    i would only add this: the MS guy said there was no DX10 at all on XP, and yet there is some via video proof. so if it isn't possible, then what is running on xp? it's a cover-up, it's all about the $$. and quite frankly, i don't blame them. this is a capitalist economy after all...

7. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    lol, how the hell do u know its dx10???

did they show you a dxdiag??

It has DX10 in the FILENAME...doesnt mean it dx10...When The Sandbox Crytek Editor is run on XP it defaults to DX9.

Unles they show some proof, im gona have to say that its not dx10.

To me That doesnt look like a dev kit....Looks like the Sandbox 2 Editor

8. Morel

Morel Member

GPU:
    8800 GTX

Dune.. Seriously, you have no idea how IT departments work do you. And you're sounding like an idiot to everyone who works in IT.

A Few things

XP is being supported until 2011 by Microsoft
    XP is a known proven, stable, and (realitivly) secure OS
    Companies have spend millions on custom applications that were made to work with XP
    XP just plain works.

IT departments don't care about whats new. They care about what works, how much it costs to support it, and if the manufacture is still supporting said software, along with patches and the like..

I know of very few companies that are planning to go to vista if at all. And quite a few companies refresh cycles are now just upgrading to XP from windows 2000 Professional.

So please.. Stop talking out the buttcrack..

9. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    In actuality it is less as you can read the complete details here at http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=133

But know this, the support will remain, but the levels of it will reduce as the pendulum switches over to a new era.

If anyone thinks that as time goes on there fledging XP will remain at the top of the list as far as support goes is greatly in need for a reality check.

MS needs to support it based on new laws etc, but that does not mean it will remain the top dog till the end.

Games, applications will become more prevelant for Vista and as seen in the upcoming game crysis, support will dwindle even at a faster pace for the new era of technology upon us.

The newest and greatest of new applications and games will support a higher level of power and that will be the focus as time goes on. XP will be around for quite awhile, but don't think for one second that the fray isn't shifting gears and XP will eventually in all areas of support dwindle as the days go by.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  10. ChaosPhoenix

ChaosPhoenix Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GLH 1080GTX
    QFT. I don't think any dev will run through his office and shout "Nah nah nah there is no DX10 nah nah nah."

11. Victor Morales

Victor Morales Guest

GPU:
    2x EVGA 580
    This thread is about a driver release not the differences on xp and vista. Its really stupid crying about OS performance or how much you dont like vista. I have said this many times think back when xp was first launched all game ran like utter crap and some didnt even run. With time xp became great. Give vista its time i am happy with it everyone gets different experiances with different hardware so that should mean its all down to the driver level.

I have never try to enforce the stay on topic rule but STAY ON TOPIC please. If you want to write about xp vs vista go to the OS threads i think there is one open where you can vent

12. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Rogue..... uuh..... if i remember correctly, SandBox Editor is the NAME they gave to the CryEngine2 dev kit.

13. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    Good Lord!!! Those are some beasts of machines ChaosPhoenix and Victor Morales, those things must have been well over 3 grand. WOW!:eek2: :eek2:

14. Scythe224

Scythe224 Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY xLr8 470 stock
    I have to say that i am so tired of these crappy A** drivers that nvidia is spitting out, they SUCK. I tried these new drivers and all i got was BSOD and i tried editing them fixing them everything. I am a N -Fanboy but if they dont get there act together i think ATi might be worth looking at. Nvidia realeased there cards so fast that there driver support did have time to catch up and it bugs me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

15. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT

I agree 110%!!! I love Vista...its a very good OS its nVidia's and Creatives fault their products don't work..they had plenty of time before the OS release and now 3months gone by and nothing.

16. rouvio

rouvio Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780

I'm with you all the way.
    good post.

17. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    I agree with you all the way.

18. Weesni

Weesni Master Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3080 M10G
    Well..... Offtopic? :nerd:
    What with the drivers?
    Anyone know if they come later or what?

19. GodFodder

GodFodder Member

GPU:
    2x GTX Titan in SLI
    April 17th for WHQL on nvidia.com. Just confirmed.

20. L33t Masta

L33t Masta Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA nVidia 8800GTX 768MB
    If they release new Vista drivers for the 8800GTX, I'll wait on people's experiences to start poppin up before I install Vista again. I'm still having some problems with my 8800GTX in XP (Well, it's brand new and drivers are 3 months old. I don't expect perfection) but if it will run the same or better in Vista I will happilly re-install it and do a total reformat keeping all my pictures and what not of course. But Vista gaming will take off and eventually Vista will surpass what XP will ever be able to do. But there will always be those people who fight the change. I still get people calling in with Windows 98 (And even 4 Windows 95 users) expecting us at Comcast HSI support to troubleshoot their ME/98 machines. Well I've had some experience on Windows 98 and ME, So I give them best effort and if not then they need to go upgrade. We had this one lady ask for a supervisor because her Windows 98 gave her a blue screen when she tried to renew her IP address. You imagine how well that went over.

April 17th for WHQL on nvidia.com. Just confirmed. - Link plz.