Car Freaks!!

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by AJ²06, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    I posted a vid of that a few pages back :)

Yeah, they do sound incredible. It's supercharged...only runs 87 psi of boost lol

These are also rather respect-worthy:

[​IMG]

Too bad modern Bentleys are an insult to their heritage.

Edit: Resized.

Besides, for mpg i don't think you can beat a modern diesel. My mum is buying a new Fiat Punto, with a 1.3 litre Multijet diesel on a 5 speed manual box. Extra-urban, they wreckon 80.7mpg. That's ridiculous!

Even around town, it's rated at 45.6mpg.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  2. DeatHRattlE

DeatHRattlE Maha Guru

GPU:
    E-VGA 7800GT CO
    If your chasing mpg, have you thought about the old Volkswagen rabbit. They got some serious mpg. Haven't seen any of this for myself, but a friend of the family claimed 50 or so mpg.
    The guy is as big as me (in the 6'4" range) he would run a belt from the gearshift to his left leg so it wouldn't ride the door when he was on the highway. All that for saving money, and this was back when fuel isn't as expensive as it is now.

3. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    damn, i should try and look at the vids people post here before i make myself rediculous.

you are absolutely right on those bentles. i dont like the continental gt and the other new ones, but those from the '90s(arnage and continental R and T) are definitly real bentleys

4. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    those are very cool looking... They need more cars like that here in the states... 80mpg! That would be sweet to have... :p

5. biglonglenthman

biglonglenthman Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Extreme 8800GTX 621/2160
    Maybe nice to have all that MPG, but trust me performance wise....Its gonna suck big style, thier good for over here but i dont think it would kick off so well in the states.
    If you want performance with good MPG then look at something like the Subaru Impreza WRX (Not the STI) my dad has one and he gets 40 odd mpg on the motorway and about 25-35 around town....and about 10 when hes in one of his rally moods lol :p

6. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    na.. for everyday commuite to work, why would you need performance? ... :p Why do you think it would not due well? My point is that in the US the best you can hope for is 50mpg... most of the cars over here suck at 30mpg... If we are every going to be less dependant on foriegn oil, then we need more cars like those ^^ :D

Besides when it comes to performance you not going to get the best of both, your gonna end up somewhere in the middle...

7. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    Gona test drive one on friday. It's quite a torquey engine for a car that only weighs 1000Kg, so it should be ok. It's never going to be a rocket ship ;)

For a daily driver, especially something you are doing a lot of miles in you don't need huge ammounts of speed.

My Dad drives a Saab diesel...very quick for getting round stuff (surprisingly so) when the turbo is spooled up, but still does low 60s on the motorway :)

Drops a bit around town...but he does 40 miles on the M3 to work and back so it's perfect :)

Only revs at about 2200rpm in 6th at 80mph which deffinetly helps.

8. DeatHRattlE

DeatHRattlE Maha Guru

GPU:
    E-VGA 7800GT CO
    One word. Ethanol. I really hope it catches on too. Im not looking for MPG, but on the last engine I built I was really limited by the compression ratio. Stretching the highest octane pump gas to the limit.
    The IRL is all ethanol now. We need more so it catches on.

9. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    I agree. You can also produce it sustainably I think...and you don't have to go with the boring 'wheeeee' of an electric motor.

AND it burns more cleanly :)

10. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    what about hydrogen, you don't think it will take off before ethanol? If they get the production costs down, sounds like it would be the best solution... Water is the only by product... :)

11. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    yeah, you can get ethanol from suger canes i thought. apart from that, its also possible to use hydrogen in an internal combustion engine, hydrogen doesnt need to be with stupid electric motors.

dit: nice sirlink, squeezing a post in before me that pretty much says the same;).

the largest problem with hydrogen is the making of it i think. there is a lot of water, but getting hydrogen out of it takes energy iirc. btw, havent we had that discussion sometime earlier in this thread?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  12. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    Sorry... :p

13. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    Regen braking.
    Ethanol is a false hope.
    In the US we don't hav eenough sugar to process with and with important costs is would cost quite a bit more. Corn cost way to much to process. the only reason its cheaper here is massive subsidies.
    Plus gallon per gallon, ethanol has quite a bit less energy than gasoline.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  14. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    You inject more of it i think?

In the same way as methanol has a lower ΔHc, but they use it in dragsters because they fuel:air ratio is a lot higher?

With an RC engine which also burns methanol the fuel consumption is a lot higher than you would expect from such a small engine. I worked out that my 2.5cc (0.15ci) 2stroke only does about 130mpg :( lol

Very heavy on fuel considerring the capacity and the weight of the car.

15. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    those little things are baddass

16. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    They use it in dragsters due to the high octane level which allows higher compression. For a 1/4 miles they don't care about mpg.

17. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    does that make up for that much energy? it could be, but i find it hard to believe.

18. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    It sure seems too. Also note that the engine shuts off at stoplights. It all adds up. Also note that an electric engine is better and more efficent at getting a car rolling. the electric motor in teh prius has most power moving off from 0rpm, thats a big deal.
    I've driven a GM ev1, from a start that thing can move like a rocket (for what it is), its because of the nature of an electric engine. Harnessing this characteristic is helpful.

Remember that 1UK gallons is more gas than a US gallons. 1.20 US gallons per UK gallons. More like 66mpg. Good, yes, but remember its a diesel (West coast of the US has major issues with particulate pollution Europe doesn't have). And the size is similar to a honda insight, which gets 60mpg+ as well. Prius is a bit bigger than a Toyota Matrix. Also note that most hybrids qualify as SULEV or AT-PZEV which is super low emissions and zero evap emissions, which si quite significant, esp in SMOG prone areas.

19. Satan

Satan Guest

GPU:
    some
    The Prius gets 61/50 EPA (actual is about 44), however since EPA is often far off, the other cars get lower too.

20. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    I cited the honda insight which is 60/66 and generally rather accurate if you don't drive like a moron.
    My mom gets 50mpg on her Prius FWIW (mostly highway)

What is amusing is that in terms of driving ahbits, the diesel is better for the US, lots of highway driving where it excels. The Prius is better for European shorter distance driving than a diesel.