Go watercool or get a new case?

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by SolidBladez, Mar 22, 2007.

1. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    Hey Gurus! I have a question that has been boggling me the past few weeks.

Okay, I have about $180 USD and I was thinking about getting a new case (Full Tower). The one I was looking at in particular is the Thermaltake Armour VA8003BWS. <--REBATE! :)

OR

I was thinking about getting the Gigabyte 3D Galaxy II. I remember reading the review that Hilbert gave (saw the pictures and all) and thought it looked like a cool WC. The thing I was worried about though was that I have a mid-tower case. I wasn't quite too sure if going WC now would be wise. This is my current case atm: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144151

Mike.

2. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    another psu ;)

and i mean it. just compare internal pics of the apevia iceberg with this one(they are pretty much identical), and try to tell me that you still feel safe with that thing in your computer.

3. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    Uh oh. Yeah. Crap. I just bought this PSU like two months ago to replace my dying Coolmax 550w. SO FAR, it has been alright. I haven't had any power issues. I just hope it will last me a good 6 more months.

Anyways, besides the PSU, I am looking for a WC or case. Any suggestions gurus?

Mike.

4. Preachergeek

Preachergeek Guest

GPU:
    MSI 8800gtx @ 655/950
    If you watercool, what do you want to actually watercool? Cpu only, or more things as well. Bare in mind the Galaxy is a low end kit and won't cool your processor down fantastically well, and certainly won't cope with more than one block very well at all.

IMO i'd either buy a dual radiator kit which will provide much better performance and cooling, or go for the case as low end water isn't much better than than decent hsfs for 1/4 the price.

5. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    I was just looking to watercool my CPU but if it did the GPU and/or chipset that would be nice too :).

I was looking for a dual-radiator kit on Newegg and I found this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835108076

Price is kinda out of my range but if it does the job I will just save up for it later and buy the Thermaltake case now. I just don't want to buy a 'good' watercooling setup and cram it into a small case ya know?

Mike.

6. tupelo20

tupelo20 Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 SSC in SLI
    Get the armor

I think you should go with the thermaltake Armor
    Got one standing right here planty of room for expansion this cools my case to 32 degrees celcius with an 8800 GTX in it.

Get a or an Bigtyphoon from thermaltake for the remaining dollars en have your proc run under 30 degrees idle.

I got an E6600 running at 3.45Ghz at idle temps of 28 degrees Celsius and 1,35V on a Zalman CPNS9500

Watercooling is great but not those lowend kits if it for OC-ing your CPU look for innovatek or waterchill kits from around 300$ US.

If you want to do it right at least have a pump capable of pushing 600Liters an hour and a raise level of 2 meters and use dual radiators as mentioned above

Or save a few extra dollars and buy the ARMOR with intergrated dual radiator
    http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Chassis/fulltower/armor_lcs/ve2000bws.asp

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  7. Bigcoconuts

Bigcoconuts Member Guru

GPU:
    Sli XfX 8800ultra's @ 730/2420+h2o
    well with $180 a good performance water cooling system is out of the question but just as tupelo said save a little more and get the Thermaltake armor with the intergrated water cooling system preinstalled

8. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    Thanks guys. I have made my decision. I will go with the case instead. I was thinking about paying the extra $$ like what tupelo20 and Bigcoconuts said but I have heard about possible leakage problems with these integrated WC setups. Also, I think Thermaltake puts a Big Water watercool in the LCS which (once again) I have heard is pretty crappy.

Anyways, I kinda needed a new case anyways cause I needed to put my old P4 in my current case. My family needs a faster computer upgrade atm. They're running an Athlon 850 with 512MB ram.

Mike.

9. Preachergeek

Preachergeek Guest

GPU:
    MSI 8800gtx @ 655/950
    You've made the right choice mate. I'm especially glad you didn't but the LCS version as it is so not worth the money.

In general i'd wish people would remember that Thermaltake H20 = Leaks + bad temperatures.

If you ever want to try water feel free to ask, and maybe check out my watercooling thread if you have not already. Could give you a few ideas...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  10. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    Agreed... Liquid cooling is not something you want to skimp on. And certaily, like preachergeek said, avoid thermaltake's kits... :knock:

11. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    Like the plague.

If you just want to cool your CPU, get the Coolit Eliminator. $199 US and built for over clocking dual core CPUs. The Coolit Freezone is a little more but has higher capacity, for over clocking quad cores. These two systems are plug and play. Just attach it to your case and CPU, hook up the power, and you're good to go.
    The eliminator is probably the best bet for your rig.
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5...Internal_TEC_Water_Cooling_Kit.html?tl=g30c83
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2...er_Cooling_Kit_754939AM2775478.html?tl=g30c83

If you want to cool both your CPU and GPU, go with one of those Swiftech or DangerDen kits.

12. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    Sounds good. Thanks again guys. Saved me the 2 week hassle.

I'm gonna put 2 more 120mm fans in my new tower (4x120mm, 2x90mm, 1x250mm) so it's gonna be puring like theres no tomorrow! :)

Mike.

13. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    That's what we are here for! :p

14. (IRE)Wolfman

(IRE)Wolfman Guest

GPU:
    AMD 5700xt or 6700x
    I have the kandalf lcs
    Its excellent the armour is just as good