Core Clock problems with rivatuner and the hardware monitoring

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by lito88, Mar 11, 2007.

1. lito88

lito88 Member

Heres the problem. I just reinstalled windows xp media center and i have a 8800GTS. I had Xp pro on it before and it was fine at 630/1000 and would show on riva tuner's hardware monitor at 630 core. But since i installed media center is acting funny. if i put it at 630 it shows up on the hardware monitoring at 621 but if i put it alittle higher it goes up to 648. Ati tools shows 630 and ntune shows 630 why is riva tuner showing something differnt?

2. lito88

lito88 Member

anyone know why?

3. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Maybe this?

PLL's clock frequency generation granularity. Hardware cannot derive any clock you wish, the clocks are derived from 27MHz oscillator

4. lito88

lito88 Member

I had no isssue with windows xp pro though. Why is that?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007

5. lito88

lito88 Member

ok i uninstalled it and reinstalled it. Im still having the same problem. I dont understand why. I was running windows xp pro and i had the core at 630 and the hardware monitor showed it was at 630. But now that i installed media center if i put in 630 it shows 621 in the hardware monitor. Its puzzling me. Is the Hardware monitor accurate?

6. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

It is supposed to be so. It is impossible to generate 630MHz exactly, PHYSICALLY impossible. You couldn't see real 630 in monitoring before. And never will.

7. lito88

lito88 Member

If its impossible how was i seeing it at 630 before i reinstalled my OS? I also changed it many times and it was allways at whatever i put it at.

8. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Good article here about it.

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/video/g70-2.html

9. lito88

lito88 Member

10. Unwinder

What geometry units are you talking about, if you have 8800? Fix a global hole in your understanding by studying the basics. NOTHING is working at 630 on your system. NOTHING.

11. lito88

lito88 Member

How wasnt it working before? It was running fine a 630 when i had xp pro but now that i installed media center its at 621 now even when i have it at 630.

12. Unwinder

It was not. Everybody have granular clock settings on 8800 on any OS. I won't waste time on it anymore, if you cannot get that you're messing up something - simply reinstall XP PRO and see that you're mistaking.
    I'm back to vacation and won't visit this thread anymore. If you don't want to think - I cannot force you to do it.

13. lito88

lito88 Member

Wow. No need to act like that i just didnt understand why it was even doing that. Thanks anyways.

14. Grendel_66

Grendel_66 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    It never ran w/ 630. When you set it to 630, that value was sent to the driver and displayed by the app you used to set it. The RivaTuner monitor reads the cards frequency multiplier and displays it -- that's the value your card is actually running at and it's always a multiple of 27MHz. If you OC using RT you can seemingly set 630 eg. -- this value is passed to the driver which then sets the closest approximation to a multiple of 27 in the card.