The Official Guru3D Mac Thread

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by orenda635, Sep 20, 2006.

1. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    when is that supposed to be released? It looks like it is going to sweet... Can't wait! :p

2. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    Sometime between now and June. All Apple has said is that it's coming out in Spring 2007. Thankfully they're still supporting PPC for Leopard.

3. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    Yeah, that's about all I could find... I very excited about it... lol

Really?!? I would have thought they would have only a intel kernal base, but I guess there are still a good number of ppc machines that are more than capabile to run 10.5 :)

4. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Heh, I'm hoping to get a MacBook PRO used or new here in the next year or so hopefully. :D

5. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    Cool... They are nice machines... But I perfer just the MacBook... :p

6. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    According to Apple, Leopard will support all existing G4, G5, Core, and Core 2 Macs. They've discontinued G3 support though, but that's quite an old CPU. The old PowerMac G3 had a pretty big install base though. Apple is pretty good when it comes to legacy support.

Speaking of operating systems, has anybody tried Linux on Mac? A lot of distros have a PowerPC version, Unfortunately Ubuntu is dropping support, which is dumb because the PS3 can run Linux and the PS3 uses PPC!

The Macbook Pro is a good choice Vbetts. Dedicated graphics. I don't know why Apple went from a dedicated GPU in the iBooks to integrated graphics in the Macbooks. The price went up too. :p
    I wouldn't mind one of the new Macbooks since it will probably blow my G4 out of the water. No money for one though, and I've only had my current laptop for a year and a half.

7. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I tried a PPC version of unbuntu on a g4 700 imac, didn't even install. Just stayed on the loading screen for Unbuntu.

8. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    That's the one hting about it i don't like... :(

9. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Because Intel practically. It's cheaper to use intergraded, since Intel owns and manufactors it, where as apple and IBM had no intergraded gpu solutions, cost effective, which is why there is one with the dedicated gpu, and radeon x1600.

10. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    yeah, makes sense, but still sucks :(

11. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    Know of any HD-DVD player software for the mac? I looked around, but not finding any yet... :O

12. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apple has introduced the quad core Intel Xeon "Clovertown" to it's MacPro line. The new model features two of these bad boys clocked at 3ghz, giving a total of 8 processing cores. That's an insane amount of power.
    http://www.apple.com/macpro/

Prices for the 8-core MacPro start at $3997 US for the base configuration, up to $18,000 for the ultimate desktop server/workstation. I think this thing is intended mostly for image rendering/science applications since most other programs don't benefit from 8-cores.

I've added it to the Buyer's Guide on the first page of this thread.

13. QuadCannons

QuadCannons Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 210
    I got this question while trying to sell off my DDR400 RAM: Can it be used in a Mac G5 2Ghz. Any help guys?

14. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yep, it should work just fine. Mac and PC memory are identical. The G5 Macs do natively use PC4200 DDR1, which is a little faster than PC3200. I'm not sure if that will make much of a difference though. I doubt it.

www.apple-history.com
    This site lists detailed specs for most of Apple's systems.

15. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Finally some Mac news. Not much though. The vanilla MacBooks have received some upgrades. Slight processor speed bump from 1.83ghz to 2.0ghz on the base model and 2.0ghz to 2.16ghz on the top model. Also, the stock memory configuration has been increased to 1gb PC2-667mhz over the previous 512mb on the base model. Hard drive space has been increased by 20-40gb on all models. The base model now has 80gb, the top now has 120gb, and the Black model has 160gb.

There are also some musings that Apple may switch the Macbook line over to the Santa Rosa platform later this year. Santa Rosa is already out for PC laptops. It should offer some slight improvements for mobile users such as a new Intel GPU and will bump the bus speed up to 800MT/S over the current 667MT/S. I expect Apple is waiting for the 45nm Penryn processors to be released before they adopt the Santa Rosa platform.

16. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    you guys had any experience with opening up one of the new intel imacs?

I want to put a bigger drive in mine! :)

17. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Good luck with that....I've honestly never seen an Imac that's easy to swap drives out of....=[

But on other news, I finally got Osx86 working for me again. Just has no audio, network, and graphics are running in VESA mode, no QE/CI. Oh well, just gonna have to get another video card for it.

18. NvidiaFreak

NvidiaFreak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7660D
  19. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Aww, look at kitty....:D

Anyways, I tried an update installer for osx86, didn't work, messed up. Gonna download a new version of osx86. 10.4.10.

20. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    We need to revive the mac thread... :D

No its do-able, I have since found a site that goes through the tear down and swap process... Don't remember it off hand though...

I just bought an apple tv to swap out my media pc in the living room with... Looks pretty cool, should be here tommorow! :p