Pure DC computer

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by SirLink, Feb 23, 2007.

1. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
  2. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Hey SirLink,
    Just saw the picture you posted in the "Rig Gallery" and wanted to let you know I was very impressed! It seems like you built exatly what you were loooking to build? I thought it was pretty awesome anyway and I think it will be alot of fun to use to! Now just make sure you post some images of the nightsky once you get it up and running outside under the stars!

3. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    Thanks roger! :p Will do... :)

4. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Just curious Link what model scope do you use? Also what kind of software do you use to connect with scope? I just saw a decent scope this last weekend at a local camera shop that came on an eletric tripod. Once you linked it with software you could move the scope to certain locations via the software without having to physically move the scope, pretty neat stuff anyway!

5. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
  6. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    I got a telescope for Christmas about 10 years ago but never really used it much. All I can really use it for is looking at the moon, since I'm so close to the city. Not much else to see.

7. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    What kind?

8. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sky-watcher Vista 508

9. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Hey Link,
    Wow your pretty serious about this stuff, that is an awesome scope and some pretty powerful software! Now I feel stupid for even bringing up the scope I said was nice, lol! I was at the Mall at a store called "Brookstone" and they had this telescope there for sale. Since I don't know much about them I just thought it was nice because it was so expensive, lol! Anyway here's a linky to the scope I was talking about, it's a Meade.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/411354336?v_c=Shopping

10. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    Yeah... Astronomy is my 2nd hobby... :D

That's a nice scope... Really nice! 6'' mak (compond) it uses a combination of mirrors and lenses to magnify... That would be a pretty high priced scope though if you just do some causual viewing... I can give you some pointers if you are seriously in the market for one... :)

Orenda: Not familiar with that one... I will have to look it up... :)

11. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It's a short tube refractor 80mm. The one I have is the telescope on the bottom. They've renamed it but it's virtually identical to the one I've got.
    http://www.skywatchertelescope.net/705804.html
    I have the tripod as well that's shown. I just use it to look at the moon or spy on the neighbours. :)

I'm going to take a astronomy course, hopefully over the summer since I need a science credit to get my honors BA. Don't ask me why. They offer a couple of astronomy courses for non-science students.

12. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    Nice! :) Short tubes are great scopes since you get a lower f/ratio... You could do some basic astrophotography with it...

You can't go wrong with an astronomy class. ;)

13. Kon$olE

Kon$olE Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070
    Very nicely done! The finished product is nice cleanly assembled! Its quite unique, that for sure!

14. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    Thanks! :p

I discovered my multi meter can't more than 1amp... So I will have to grab my dad's mm to do the load test... :)

Gona start building the battery box now... :)

15. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti

16. Rifle_Grunt

Rifle_Grunt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 460 TOP + 88k physx
    if you had the money you could make the most mobile geforce 8800 powered rig in the world!

17. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    lol in theory... yeah... If I wanted to put more into, it could be as powerfull as any other gaming maching that is stuck on your desk... :)

18. hmav23

hmav23 Member

GPU:
    PNY 7600GS 512mb
    my friend runs his telescope off a tablet pc with a car battery rig he made...

but yours looks very interesing

19. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    Thanks... :)

20. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    Just an update... Took a little break from the project, but I am now working on building the battery assemblely.

I will post some pics up later, but ran into a snag... I decided to make the conection between the pc and battery using a 12v automotive acc jack (cigerette light jack). The connection doesn't seem the best though... The pc wont boot. The socket has an inline 5a fuse between it and the batteries, and the connector as 5a fuse in the tip. Not sure if they are causing the issue, or maybe the acc jack is not making a solid enough of a connection. But if wired straight off the battery it's fine...