Latest NVIDIA Windows Vista Driver News!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Archer1978, Feb 25, 2007.

1. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    Well my gameing pc is stuck on xp till Nvidia releases a driver with multigpu mode for this GX2.... They had a driver for RC2 that had it working... Don't know why they couldn't have had one for the final before it's release... It's not like that much has changed between RC2 and final... :O

2. Nexus_

Nexus_ New Member

I have these specs:
    Processor Type * - Core™2 Duo
    Processor Number * - T5200
    Processor Speed * - 1.60GHz
    Operating System ** : Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium (32-bit)
    Memory Size * : 2048MB
    Display Size * : 17.0"
    Display Type * : Widescreen XGA with TruBrite™ Technology
    Display Resolution * : 1440x900
    Graphics Chipset * : GeForce® Go 7600
    Graphics Memory * : 256MB
    Hard Drive Size * : 160GB
    Hard Drive Speed : 5400rpm

The games work really bad on this laptop
    ( Toshiba Satellite P105-S6227 ), framerate and sound stuttering all the time, no matter what settings I use. Only using lowest resolution helps improving the perfomane... So could anybody recommend me on what to do? How long till they release a compatible driver for Geforce Go7600 for Vista? Are there no other options than switching to XP? As far as I searched Nvidia.com -

''At this time, the drivers available on NVIDIA.com do not support notebook GPUs. Many NVIDIA notebook GPUs have Windows Vista drivers already built into the operating system and install the first time you run Windows Vista. Notebook GPU driver support is provided directly from the manufacturer, so please consult your manufacturer for an updated NVIDIA notebook GPU driver.''
    Does this mean we won't be seeing GeForce Go 7600 Vista compatible drivers for a long time :confused:
    It seems I must completly rely on Toshiba's GPU drivers, so far nothing new has been released for my model...

Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  3. CantoX

CantoX New Member

guys, I just read that, and I was woundering, what does this mean:
    The reason I'm asking is that I'm running Windows XP and using the clone view, so I have 2 identical monitos, 1 LCD TV and 1 monitor, and I use "View Full Screen Video" on my TV, does it imply that I can't use Cloneview + Full screen on my TV anymore IF I change to Vista?

4. Kow

Kow Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 5850
    One of my coworkers plays WoW on a Dell XPS w/ 7900GTX here at work running Windows Vista Enterprise using the latest nvidia drivers and framerates are the same if not slightly better than in XP.

5. adrnlnboy

adrnlnboy New Member

GPU:
    Asus 8800 GTS
    Huh...maybe I hold my mouth right, or I've bot better Karma, but I haven't had any problems with any games since I installed Vista in mid-January. All the beta drivers are working great for me. Granted I only play Oblivion and Company of Heroes right now...but personally no complaints. Well, ok maybe that stupid dialog in VS 2005.

6. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Bro they may seem to play well, but most problems arent just performance related. Many control panel options dont work, and some people on different cards experience performance issues. Some people (like me) get a black screen flash everytime an application opens which nvidia said they are working on fixing.

7. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX280 SCC

If he does, then he has such an extremely high end machine, that it makes up for the poorly written driver. Either that or his XP setup is flawed, to begin with.

From the 8 or 9 RL friends(who have various machines, from top of the line to middle of the road) to the many, many people in my guild and alliance, who use NVidia, not one person has said they are getting better performance with Vista. Not one. The only ones who said they were not all that different, were the ones with extreme topend machines, which have the power to cover up poorly coded video drivers, using sheer power. Most of us dual boot XP and go back to it, when playing.

Currenly if I am soloing, I'll run WOW in Vista(only because I don't run a dualboot menu. To dual boot, I have to change the bootdrive in my bios, so it's a bit of a pain to remember to do, on the fly), but if I am raiding or much grouping, I switch over to XP.

8. Sharoth

Sharoth Guest

GPU:
    XFX Merc 319 6900XT
    WoW runs the same, if not slightly better for me in Vista Home Premium 64bit on my current rig. I wouldn't say its middle of the road, but its hardly top of the line. /shrug

So far, with the 100.65's I have played for 2+ hours each of the following games:
    WoW, Far Cry, Half Life 2, BF2, Oblivion, Counter-Strike Source, C&C3 Demo, Dark Messiah, and Call of Duty.

They all play fine, with perfect fps and sound, in all the games I have everything set to max visual quality and believe me, I'm a framerate whore, I won't hesitate to drop to a lower res if im not seeing a constant 60+ fps, these are all at 1440x900, or if that isnt supported, I use 1280x1024@75Hz. Only game that I feel could run better would be BF2. I have reverted back to a medium config mainly cuz it feels alot smoother than the high settings. Not that the high settings weren't playable, but like I said, I'm a framerate whore.. :smoke:

9. Sevores

Sevores Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTX OC
    How did you get Dark Messiah running? I always get "cant lump 53 allocation of xxxxxx bytes failed" message after crashing.

10. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    i hope that ati wont have BIG problems with there new dx10 cards..

11. Archer1978

Archer1978 Guest

Cause they will but by the time ATI bring out there DX10 Card, Nvidia will own them as they released there DX10 Card first!

BTW its friday, these new Vista Drivers should be released today! :banana:

12. knivestv

knivestv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC
    I remember when XP first launched and for months people said "right, i'm going back to 98 or win2k".

Pretty much the same thing with Vista then.

Just for a reference, things looked better for custom builders at SP1 on XP.

Sounds like it's exactly the same thing again tbh.

Lucky for me I got a "windows dream pc"

http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/content.aspx?ctId=399&tabid=1

so it was kinda bound to work on mine wasn't it really? They couldn't put my machine on the windows marketplace with a big Vista badge and then not have any drivers for it.... that would just be super silly on Microsofts part! The driver support on all those machines is great, but not for anything custom built at the moment. I don't have any problems with anything under Vista - yet... and I play a hell of a lot of games on it.

See here http://profile.xfire.com/knivestv for the list of stuff I am running on vista. The top 18 games on my profile are all currently installed and working very well on this machine.

Stick with XP til the end of the year. It will save you tonnes of hassle in the long run. I used to build PCs, and it was fun for about 10 years, but now I just buy something powerful that's 100% supported by microsoft as my machine is right now.

As a consequence of that, I spend less time posting about problems and more time playing games.

Sweet :)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  13. Dragonsbane

Dragonsbane Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 2080 Black
    You have to blame Microsoft for that. As its wrote on the text you quoted, its an OS limitation.

14. KillerC

KillerC Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 RTX

I don't blame anyone but myself , I stepped on my own pecker , I should have done more research....HOWEVER that doesn't mean that this could not have been looked at 7 months ago by BOTH MS AND Nvidia and reported/worked out then , and as a consumer..that I will NEVER forget!!

BUT on another note as I am still going to watch how this pans out even though I am running XP , if you all notice all the people that can play "all" their games with no problems and high frame rates have ALMOST 2 things in common in all their rigs? A fast core Duo and some type of on board sound. Truth be known I could probably pull out my XFi and install my onboard 8.1 Realtech sound and smooth out my games BUT then again V sync still won't work with my favorite game right now BF2/2142 , and thats why I bought a top of the live video card...smooth games , so why waste my time.

One thing I've noticed while working with Vista over the last month , when you boot it appears to be LOOKING for some type of dual core cpu , now you guys with dual core CPUs are NOT going to see this because you have one so don't tell me I'm lost here , my HDD/CPU will run for 5 mins @ an average of 30 to 50% loading services and checking crap , indexing or whatever , and I have indexing turned off for all my drives but my system. And when I start something as simple as my TV card with Live TV it seems to have to start and run about 10 services to do so.
    At that time I can still use my pc without too much hassle , Internet , music , MCE whatever with only slight pauses , BUT When I run a game it almost like my CPU is being strangled to death. I hope MS takes notice of this and optimizes it a little better for single core CPU's.....I would also call my CPU older but its the FASTEST SC 939 AMD CPU made and only one year ago (while Vista was in beta BTW) it was still $800.00.

Now with 2 gigs of FAST DDR2 and a 1GIG flash AND 768MB of video ram this to me is unacceptable and I have a very strong feeling that the way MS has changed the way it uses sound for DRM proposes has something to do with it.

Either way , the first thing I am going to do when I reinstall Vista is turn off UAC , and my movie DVD making (not stealing!!) program will NOT work with VISTA at all , SO until there is a DX10 game I want to play....I don't miss a thing. :smoke:

I have to admit Vista is pretty , but I took copies of my favorite Vista desktops and now my XP looks almost the same.

Y'all have a good day.

15. Jake

Jake Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTX 768Mb
    I'm willing to offer whatever information I can, but I dont know if it will be of any use because I am not having any issues in any of the games I play. My framerates in BF2 are fine, and in WoW I peak at a little over 200fps, and average around 113fps. (running at 1280x1024, everything maxed). Running Vista Home Premium

16. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I used to have that happen but I fixed it via a tweak I found. The reason the screen flashes to black is because Vista likes to switch to Secure Mode but with a tweak you can disable it and you won't see it again. I did the tweak about 10 days ago and I've not had any screen flashing since.

Sorry I can't remember exactly where I found the tweak, it was on a TweakVista site, something like that. If I find it then I'll post the tweak on here.

17. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Found it! It's *here* for anyone annoyed with the flashing black screen.

18. dabrooks

dabrooks Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA GTX 980Ti Gaming
    What evidence do you have that having a single core is the cause? Frankly, I had that exact problem on XP with dual core, no longer do with Vista, zero reason to expect it had anything to do with hardware. I run Vista on one of my work machinesas well, it's an older single-core CPU, no problem like you described. Something else going on there, it's not the OS.

19. SABB69

SABB69 Banned

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS @650-1000

20. KillerC

KillerC Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 RTX
    evidence?? LOL!! I wasn't aware I needed evidence to make an observation!!

But I am amused by your post so I will play along , so tell me have you run Vista with a single core CPU? NO not according to your post , but you have run XP and Vista with a dual core....correct?

Now you just said to me that you...and I quote here "had that exact problem on XP with dual core" on your PC , BUT no longer have it with Vista....and you still using the dual core....correct? SO , and this is where the rubber meets the road , you said to me there is , and again I quote "zero reason to expect it had anything to do with hardware".....LOL right?

SO to sum up you had problems running XP with a dual core and NO problem running the same dual core with Vista and YET you say to me that I have zero evidence that running Vista with my SINGLE CORE and getting crappy performance cannot be a hardware issue for me?

LOL!! So tell me , what exactly ARE you trying to say?

Here's the rub , Vista SEEMS to me (and yes I have no evidence :beam: ) to be optimized for Dual core CPUs ( WARNING!! THIS IS ONLY AN OBSERVATION!!) , and I have a SINGLE CORE CPU , so what does this mean to me IF MS doesn't optimize Vista for single core CPU's in a somewhat similar manor to the way MS added features to XP to optimize for Dual cores?? (hello Affinity??)

......Huston!! I have a hardware problem....I need someone to buy me a DC CPU so I too can run Vista in the proper manor!!:D