Bottleneck ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by G3nerator, Feb 15, 2007.

?

Yes or No ?

Poll closed Feb 15, 2008.
  1. Yes

29 vote(s)
    72.5%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    27.5%
  1. G3nerator

G3nerator Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX @ 650/2000
    hey fellas does my system bottleneck my 8800GTX ?

[​IMG]

2. PFX_79

PFX_79 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GTX 256mb
    Nah id say you're good. *thumbs up*

3. Insomniac34

Insomniac34 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 460 768mb (800/1900)
    That 4200+, is it at stock? If so, then this is definitely a bottleneck situation. You probably get great performance with it, but the 8800GTX needs a more powerful CPU to let it really shine. If you can OC that 4200+ to around 2.8-3.0 ghz, you'll be in much better shape :)

4. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    You're fine with that setup. Especially when games are starting to use 2 or more cores (or optimized). :)

5. G3nerator

G3nerator Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX @ 650/2000
    hah...i wish i can OC that cpu with my brand name Gateway Foxconn Motherboard.....
    i had to cut off from motherboard my ps2 mouse which i dont need...i use usb mouse and keyboard
    and also i had to remove plastic case from video card radiator and cut off part of radiator to manage fit this card inside my btx case on this motherboard........
    [​IMG]

you may see that blue thing under my rear fan...thats keyboard connector.....was a green one on top of it what i had to cut off....
    and also atx power pins barely fit since video card and its radiator pipes very close to is.

6. Netgamer

Netgamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6600LE 300/300
    i would say YES u got a bottle neck

7. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    im not sure about the bottleneck but that case sure looks cramped..

8. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    wow, tight fit there, lol.

Your probably going experience some bottleneck but nothing to extreme.

I believe most here would agree that the faster Intel C2D CPU's are definitely the better choice for the new DX10 cards. I think most people with AMD X2 CPU's will experience decent gaming performance with the new cards - just not optimal performance. At least I hope so because I'm one of them.

I don't think the performance difference would be worth the cost of a major upgrade involving a new mobo, cpu and ram, at least not in my opinion. But for those Guru's who just must have the latest, greatest and fastest hardware, the AMD's just won't do, lol.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  9. tomgreen321

tomgreen321 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD6870
    Does it matter? Do your games run smoothly? Spend less time worry about how you'll bench and just enjoy what you have.

10. G3nerator

G3nerator Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX @ 650/2000
    i'm trying to see if i can handle upcoming crysis and have a pleasant gameplay

if not i may go ahead and get new cpu...mobo....ram....case....and psu....that means 600$ to 800$ from my paycheck...now i want credit card :/
    btw is any trade activity allowed in here ?

11. PFX_79

PFX_79 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GTX 256mb
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  12. G3nerator

G3nerator Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX @ 650/2000
    thanks :D i've got my evga 7950GT KO laying around and also have evga 7600GT KO what i would love to see gone :D

13. xeoN.

xeoN. New Member

GPU:
    8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3
    YES you will have, i had a AMD 4600+ Dual core and 3GB ram, average of 90fps in CS:S which was poor, i upgraded the next day to Intel Core 2 DUO E6600, and i get 250+ fps with less ram { 2GB } in css now, 100% bottleneck

14. G3nerator

G3nerator Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX @ 650/2000
  15. G3nerator

G3nerator Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX @ 650/2000
    dang...thats a nice girl on your ava...
    whats her name ?

16. TonyM16

TonyM16 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTX SLI on Dell 3007
    Without a shadow of a doubt that is the craziest thing I have seen in the world of home modding. lol. I can't believe you had the balls to strip your brand new top of the range expensive as hell gpu! How is that new fan attached by the way? Did you glue it? I hope you didn't have to break of the plastic and that it can be put back on if needed.

17. atomicskis5

atomicskis5 Master Guru

GPU:
    msi 4850
    What everybody has to realize is unless you are playing games at low resolution, you will not notice a bottleneck. Once you start tapping into the true power of your 8800gtx(crysis) you will see barely any difference in fps from your set up to a c2d set up. Sure it would be nice to have a c2d, but you will manage. Too bad you couldnt just oc your cpu, it would help a little in css.

18. G3nerator

G3nerator Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX @ 650/2000
    its screwed with 4 screws :) and i'm glad that my temps are ~55 idle and ~65 under load, i had to remove that plastic cover to make it fit.
    also i'm waiting on some aftermarket radiator for it.

i hope it wont be that bad :D

19. ^Son_Gokou08

^Son_Gokou08 Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4850 @780/1200
    well, it would depend on what games and settings you play. like for example, in Oblivion(A64 3200+ and X1900XT), in some areas or scene in the game, it's the A64 3200+ which is causing a bottleneck while in other areas, it's the X1900XT. in short, we cant totally eliminate bottlenecks becoz different games put different amount of load between CPU and VC. what matter is you get good gaming experience.

20. whitebeau

whitebeau New Member

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 512ram
    Yes

what speed is that RAM?

you would notice better gameplay upgrading to a core2 later once the new dx10 games start coming out. until then i'd wait.

RAM & hard drive access is the 2nd biggest issue.

even having 2gigs of ram, some games are still designed to swap from the HD.

Raid 0 - would offer the best performance.

Raid 1 - would allow atleast 2 points for read... though write times would be the same as having 1 drive.

Raid 0+1 - you would need 4 identical drives.. 2 in raid 0, and the +1 will mirror the first two if one died (Nice part is you can do the Raid +1 later when the drives could experience failure IE: a year later) this would eliminate any downtime. it would give you a 1 year gap leadtime before aving to build out the redundant drives.

RAM - if you already have the DDr2 800 or 667 then this is fine. CPU performance is the biggest issue... Note the 4200 vs the 4400 has 1/2 the amt of lvl-2 cache 'another performance leap'.

wait till the new cards roll out your setup is solid for the next 6-8 months. by then it will be buyers market right before xmas starts up.. ie: July. (sad i know) :cheers: