hd video clips TS files

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Denny85, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Denny85

Denny85 Master Guru

GPU:
    none
    My friend gave me two 500GB hard drives 1000GB full of HD movies,clips, shows(TS files) . i'm trying to burn them to a DVD disk so i can watch them on the big screen. I don't understand one thing do i always have to convert ts file to the mpeg? because i can not find any programs that will burn TS files to a DVD disk. i wanna try to burn a few clips to the dvd disk with original size and the quality(1080i clips a few clips they're 500mb each TS file)
    Because when i convert them to mpeg the files got smaller like 177mb where the hell is the quality?

how to get that TS file into a format that can be burned onto a dvd without loosing too much quality?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  2. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    you can burn TS files to a DVD-R but don't expect them to play on a standalone DVD player. They're fine as is If they're one huge file just get a program called TSSplitter and it'll split them to any size you want (or merge them)

TS files are fine as is...you don't convert them. It's an MPEG-2 Transport Stream...hence the name TS.

3. greengiant

greengiant Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5770
    yeah if you have a HDTV it would be best just to connect a computer to it, that's the only way you are going to be able to watch them in full quality

even if you had a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD(are they out yet?) burner I don't think it's possible to author a disc to play in stand alone players

you can convert them to DVD but they wouldn't look any better then a regular DVD once you convert them

4. anthony

anthony Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6600GT top <- Smoken fast
    even if you got it onto a dvd disk you wouldnt be viewing in 1080i

5. omga14

omga14 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 745/915 for now
    yup you need HD-DVD or Blue Ray to get the high 1080i or p. currently i'm saving to get a real nice HD-DVD player or buy one of the consoles like the Blue-Ray PS3 or the Xbox 360(comes with an HD-DVD right?)

6. anthony

anthony Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6600GT top <- Smoken fast
    another option is an "upscale" dvd player. converts dvds to 1080i but this is still not true 1080i

7. HanShot1st

HanShot1st Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x 4870 512mb DDR5
    There are actually two ways to do this using discs. Either use an upscaling networked DVD player that recognizes .ts mpeg2 extensions, or convert to mpeg2 program stream and burn as HD DVD...

If you don't have a player that supports that, hook your PC up to your display.

BTW, "HDTV2MPEG2" is a popular .ts to .ps converter. You can strip commercials from .mpg files with a program like "VideoRedo" also to save space.

8. G Wiz

G Wiz New Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTS
    I have a question also. How exactly do I configure my video card itself to play the TS files on to my 53" Pioneer HDTV monitor? It does both 720p and 1080i if it matters. Sorry if that's redundant info but I'm a complete noob at this and I'm deathly afraid of ruining my bigscreen TV more than anything else.

I have an 8800 GTS with the HDTV dongle. Will my computer/video-card automatically configure itself for my TV resolution upon booting up? Do I open the file in Windows Media Player, VLC, etc. or do I need to download a specific application for playing the TS files on my TV?

Thanks guys, any help is much appreicated.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  9. greengiant

greengiant Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5770
    if you use the dongle it's only going to output standard HD/TV resolutions, vga should detect what the TV uses same with hdmi/dvi

the only TVs that I have seen try to accept a signal it couldn't display is crt most most LCDs and Plasma will just go black, if it's a projection tv I don't have much experience with that

but when you boot the PC it's going to be 640x480 for the bios and windows loading screen which the tv should accept and if you just want to be safe hit f8 after the post so that the safe mode screen comes up, but instead of going into safe mode it should be an option for start in vga mode(or something similar) windows will start at 640x480 and then you can set it to whatever you like

10. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    1.) Plug in TV to PC (HDMI, DVI, componet)
    2.) Go to display properties and extend desktop to the new "monitor" (HDTV)
    3.) Open file in your media player of choice
    4.) Drag player onto other "monitor" (HDTV)
    5.) Enjoy

It's not rocket science by any means.

11. G Wiz

G Wiz New Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTS
    Thanks guys, that helps me out a ton.

One more thing though: my HDTV monitor is rear projection, a couple of years old, and does not have DVI or HDMI inputs. It has the standard composite and component in hookups along with what appears to be a VGA connection labeled "RGB3" and above it says "reserved for HDTV broadcasts". My HDTV out dongle that came with my 8800 GTS also has the component (red, green, blue) out.

Am I right to assume I can follow the above instructions simply by using the component hookups and doing everything else the same?

Much thanks again.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  12. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    umm yea like I said not rocket science :)

Just plug it in you're not going to break something :heh:

I use component and have no issues.