ATI X1600 to FireGL V5200 driver in Vista

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by legolasgleaf, Feb 1, 2007.

1. legolasgleaf

legolasgleaf Member Guru

GPU:
    Quadro FX3500
    It's possible?

Thank you.

2. legolasgleaf

legolasgleaf Member Guru

GPU:
    Quadro FX3500
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  3. samov

samov Master Guru

GPU:
    mobility x1600 256
    well... i'm on it...

i'm dual booting right now with a legit express upgrade vista business...

i can only hope for the best :D

from what i can tell... the same driver package for both firegl and x1600..

4. legolasgleaf

legolasgleaf Member Guru

GPU:
    Quadro FX3500
    Exists a M56GL driver, could you install it?
    Thank you.

5. samov

samov Master Guru

GPU:
    mobility x1600 256
    hey....

the link you posted is the version that does not include ANY opengl support....

here is a link for a newer version that does not show up on hp's site yet

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...&swLang=8&taskId=135&swItem=ob-46695-1&mode=3

it was released 3 days ago... my guess it's based on the catalyst 7.1 for vista... and DOES include beta opengl support... but it's REALLY buggy...

the surprising fact is that it is FASTER than the xp one... i tested it for a couple of minutes in Revit. So far... installing the fireGL part yields no workstation panel.

6. legolasgleaf

legolasgleaf Member Guru

GPU:
    Quadro FX3500
    Decompress (don't execute) the file that I told you.
    Then go to \Packages\Drivers\Display\LH_INF\CL_39525.inf
    and you can see in this file:

[ATI.Mfg]
    "ATI MOBILITY FireGL V5200" = ati2mtag_M56, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_71C5&SUBSYS_30B4103C
    "ATI MOBILITY FireGL V5200 " = ati2mtag_M56GL, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_71C4&SUBSYS_30B4103C
    "ATI Mobility Radeon X1600" = ati2mtag_M56, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_71C5&SUBSYS_30A3103C

¿¿¿¿¿ati2mtag_M56GL isn't a OPENGL?????

Other thing, had you been able to install X1600 LIKE firegl v5200 in Vista With any driver?

Thank you.

7. samov

samov Master Guru

GPU:
    mobility x1600 256
    that's just the name of the chip BUT if you look a little further in the file you can see that is does not install ANY special opengl driver (yet)

... so there is no point in modding since both radeon and firegl lines do in fact share the same driver in vista... at least for now.

.... as for the strings you provided .... here is what they actually say...

"ATI MOBILITY FireGL V5200" = ati2mtag_M56 the chip name, PCI\VEN_1002the vendor ... ATI&DEV_71C5device ID&SUBSYS_30B4actually the motherboard(as in cpu mb) system id103Cthe chip system id

what the lines actually say is that.... A FIREGL is a "REAL" firegl ONLY when installed in a certain system( as in motherboard for integrated gpu laptop's)... BUT... the EXACT SAME CHIP ... if installed in a different MB turns out to be a raderon....

this is the string FOR MY NON FIREGL LAPTOP

"ATI MOBILITY FireGL V5200" = ati2mtag_M56 the chip name, PCI\VEN_1002the vendor ... ATI&DEV_71C5device ID&SUBSYS_309Factually the motherboard(as in cpu mb) system id103Cthe chip system id

NOTE THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THE MAINBOARD SUBSYSTEM ID ( as in the cpu motherboard..) i use the same string to identify the MB to my acpi control system (another story... another time).

[​IMG]

WELL... anyone up for creating a STRAP DRIVER for the subsystem ID on a MB...?!

8. legolasgleaf

legolasgleaf Member Guru

GPU:
    Quadro FX3500
    In Windows XP have you got any problem? (I haven't).
    I have a HP NC8430 (same as yours, with the same resolution WSXGA+ but with 15.4 matte screen) My motherboard is 30A3.
    Your version of Vista, is 32 or 64 bit?
    I'm waiting for the upgrade to Windows Vista (32 bit, because I can't choose 64 bit).
    I hope that anyone could help, to convert this graphic card to FireGL.

EDIT: not only change the motherboard ID, the graphic ID of FireGL V5200 change, if you choose OPENGL or not... and, from 71C5 to 71C4.
    If we want to change to a FireGL, we must change the motherboard ID (you 30B4 to 309F, and I 30B4 to 30A3), and the graphic ID (71C4 to 71C5) in the driver.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  9. samov

samov Master Guru

GPU:
    mobility x1600 256
    you DO NOT have to change the device id...

i have a friend who owns an nw8440 and his FIREGL has device ID 71C5 ( that of a X1600 ) the only thing that's different is the string defining his mother board.... everything else is the same.

10. legolasgleaf

legolasgleaf Member Guru

GPU:
    Quadro FX3500
    OK. Do you know how to change this in driver?

And another thing, what is your version of vista, 32 or 64 bit?

Thank you.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007

11. legolasgleaf

legolasgleaf Member Guru

GPU:
    Quadro FX3500
    Samov, 32 or 64?

12. samov

samov Master Guru

GPU:
    mobility x1600 256
    sorry for the delay... exams...:D

64... but the development does seem to be the same for 32 and 64.

13. legolasgleaf

legolasgleaf Member Guru

GPU:
    Quadro FX3500
    It's incredible, that you could request a 64 bit version. My only choice for the upgrade from Windows XP Professinal to Vista Business were 32-bit bussiness, because in HP don't offer the 64 bit version in any laptop...
    How did you make?
    Thank you.

14. samov

samov Master Guru

GPU:
    mobility x1600 256
    well... i had to request the 32 bit too but the keys SHOULD be interchangeable between 32 and 64....

so you might recieve a cd with 32 bit but your license should extend to the 64 bit too, so you can download an oem version of vista business 64 from just about anywhere and use your key on that...

a friend of mine bought Vista Ultimate retail and he got both dvd's (one 32 bit one 64 bit) with only one key ( at least this is what he told me ).

PS. as a sidenote... IF microsoft and hp use different keys for 32 and 64 bit THAT really would suck... since you actually have to buy 64 bit functionality and you ALREADY own 32 bit. It's like paying twice just for some recompiled applications.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

here's what i found diving around on the net...

> Are users allowed to switch between 32 and 64 bit versions as they desire (Retail or OEM), so long as only one version is installed?

"Yes, regardless of retail/OEM status."

>The OEM version ships with either 32 or 64 bit versions, and not both like the retail. Is this a limitation of the license, or can the product key be used to install a copy of the other version if you obtain a copy of the disk?

"The product key you purchase should be able to install either version. The retail disk will only include both disks with Ultimate, others will have an option to order the 64-bit disk, probably for a small shipping fee. As in the past, the product keys and retail/OEM disks will not be interchangeable, your disk must match the type of key."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  15. legolasgleaf

legolasgleaf Member Guru

GPU:
    Quadro FX3500
    Interesting. Thank you Samov.
    Other theme, have you got some result about firegl in vista?
    Dankeschön.

16. samov

samov Master Guru

GPU:
    mobility x1600 256
  17. legolasgleaf

legolasgleaf Member Guru

GPU:
    Quadro FX3500
    Samov, what about FireGL in Linux (32 & 64)?

18. samov

samov Master Guru

GPU:
    mobility x1600 256
    i used to have linux installed, but had no real use for it... maybe windows has suffered a lot of criticism over the years, but linux in my opinion is not up to the task that windows does.

Sure, i may have people stabbing me in the back after what i just said... but ... have you EVER met a linux user who does not know what a "kernel" is .... well... i bet 80% of windows users never heard of the word. If it wasn't for vista's Kernel Patch Protection to actually advertise the word... i guess normal windows vista users would argue IF even vista has this "kernel thing".

as for firegl... i've never used a firegl card on linux... so i have zero experience to share with you. I can't imagine what you would use it for... maybe maya ... and XSI?!

19. legolasgleaf

legolasgleaf Member Guru

GPU:
    Quadro FX3500
    Yes, XSI for sure.
    (And yes, I know what is a kernel... lol, and I compiled various kernel, to have various options to run linux, with stable and unstable versions of kernel to prove it).

20. samov

samov Master Guru

GPU:
    mobility x1600 256
    I was not saying that you don't know what a kernel is... but that windows hides a lot of stuff from the normal user...making it easier to use and maintain.