bf 2142 crashes under vista

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by KEZZA, Jan 23, 2007.

1. KEZZA

KEZZA Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX 670
    Not sure why but bf2142 just crashes(BF2142.EXE HAS A PROB)
    I play Vegas on vista with no probs,its just 2142

any ideas????

Hi to all(i am new so be gentle)

2. Digitalfiend

Digitalfiend Member

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTS
    Well BF2142 uses PB which requires all sorts of OS privileges and does quite a few things regarding process memory and DLL injection/hooking that might not work under Vista. I can't remember if I've tried BF2142 under Vista RTM or not... It could also be a video driver issue.

3. KEZZA

KEZZA Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX 670
    admin privledges set ok its not a pb kick or the likes,its a crash happens 2mins in or 10 mins into playing,should i just assume that 100.30 drivers are a smidge dicy.
    have ran 3d mark 2006 over vista several times no probs
    run r6 vegas for hours(good game btw)
    ran bf2142 with and with out fsaa and af etc no avial.just crashes
    ive got xp on same pc and bf2142 runs with out a hitch under xp.
    Any advice would be great.

Cheers

4. Lezziter

Lezziter Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTX
    2142 runs just fine for me, guess new (real) drivers will solve your problem in time..

5. Hunted

Hunted Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1080
    Hi there,

I also have a similar problem with BF2142. Mine goes on longer before I get the msg that Bf2142.exe has a problem. Mine happens when the game loads the second/third map of my playing session. It happens with all the drivers I tried to date.

I installed everest to show me on my second screen what my resources are doing. I've noticed that BF uses LOTS of resources in vista. It starts off with about 50% of my memory resources and then after the second load it shoots up to the high 80% to 93%. Sometimes I'm lucky to get another map loaded, but most of the time it crashes on me with mem resources in the 90's. I've run it compatibility mode with Areo disabled but it still crashes at some point.

It almost seems that the memory don't get cleaned/swapped and runs out of resources the longer you play.

The load up screen between maps looses some of the colors as well, which always indicates to me it's going to crash.

I'm also hoping that the driver release at the end of the month will sort out this issue , if not I guess it's back to XP 64 where it worked with no problems at all.

6. Gabe

Gabe Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 8800GT OCable 715/2ghz
    try playing conquest maps instead of titan, i have crashes on titan mode but not conquest.

7. KEZZA

KEZZA Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX 670
    thanks
    will try out conquest mode instead.
    its a pity cos i really like vista so far,guess im glad i dual boot with xp.
    Also will run up some other games and see if it is just bf2142 or a bigger issue

thanks for your input guys

kezza

8. dB

dB Guest

GPU:
    88GTS 512M@830/2050/2.2g
    I know a friend had to cut down on the overclocking in order to get bf2 (same engine as bf2142)to work w/ vista even though they worked flawlessly in XP. Try that and see if that helps

9. ecm747x

ecm747x Member

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTX 768mb 97.92 drvrs
    I can confirm the overclocking running BF2142 on Xp anyway. I set my 4800+ to 2.6 and ran all games great. 2142 would CTD all the time. I set it back to 2.4 and have not had a problem with 2142 since. Not sure if this is your issue under Vista or not. I know 2142 just did not like OC'ing on my rig for some reason.

10. Hunted

Hunted Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1080
    Thnx for the replies. I'm not overclocking anything on my systems, so something else must causing my problem.

I haven't played the conquest maps much, I'll give it a try and see if it bombs with me.

I have 2GB memory and it just might be too little for the game to run normally. BF2142 opens fine with 1 GB mem, but crashes when the maps got loaded. After I added another 2 x 512 the game loaded up fine, till it crashes later.

Thnx again for the replies

11. Netgamer

Netgamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6600LE 300/300
    Vista is not for gamers yet, give it time for it to be released and then we might get a solution to game on vista, IMO vista itself uses a lot of ur comp, the recommended hardware for Vista is a kick in the balls.

1ghz or better " many forums and reviews say nothing slower than 2ghz"
    1GIG of ram

that right there is a lot of peoples gaming machines for XP

12. StimpyOz

StimpyOz Member Guru

GPU:
    Radion 6870
    EA. "It's in the name of the game." :heh: :heh: :heh:

13. IndianScout

IndianScout Banned

GPU:
    GTX580 SLI
    have you tried right clicking the shortcut and setting "run as administrator"

I had to do that with Vista and 2142..

14. KEZZA

KEZZA Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX 670
    will try almost default cp speed see if it changes anything.
    oh and yeah like the guy above said it is an EA game.
    drivers are imature at this point have to wait and see but then again my 8800 gtx is apparently VISTA READY .....cough(according to the really nice box it came in)

Cheers for input

down clocked pc same result crashed after 20 mins though, got a lil longer out of it,jsut have to assume 100.30 are crap at the minute.its a shame cos since ive installed vista a cant,t stand using xp(its now very dull and boring).

One a side note i would like to suck up and say how damm good this guru forum is,heaps of advise and some decent people thanx

cheers
    kezza

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  15. KEZZA

KEZZA Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX 670
    not sure as its been a while since i owned an athlon but with xp and bf2 there was a cool n quiet thing that you had to run or set affinity to a single core just thought maybe that problem has moved to vista.there was a utility from amd that fixed it that was released bout 6 mthas ago,maybe its worth using task manger and setting affinity to one core, maybe!!!

16. HaZe303

HaZe303 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    For me BF2142 runs great on Vista x86 Ultimate, with 100.30 driver. It almost runs better and more stable than on XP... No issues at all, so it must be you. Try reinstalling the game, and drivers. Plus manually update all the pb files with pbsetup.

EDIT: I saw that you have a 550W PSU, that could be the culprit too. I had a Silverstone 600W PSU before and had to upgrade to a 750W TT PSU to get my system stable with my g80. So you should check that up.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  17. KEZZA

KEZZA Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX 670

are you overclocked at all.tried with and with o/c as regards psu it says it has 3 18amp 12 volts rails with i thought was enough but im no electrician.i have no probs with XP,is there any tests i can run on my psu as a cannot afford a new one at this point.PB has manually updated.ithink ill give up on it for a while but as ive said before i can play r6 vegas til the cows come home on vista,played for 6 hours straight(short game btw)
    thanks for input

18. sorrow777

sorrow777 Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTX
    I have been having problems recently with 2142 in xp...and i have a dual core cpu now and i set the affinity to 0 and it stopped disconnecting me.

You may want to try that in vista i'm not sure.