Auzentech X-Meridian Discussion Thread Part 2

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by WildStyle, Jan 22, 2007.

1. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    At the moment the server is overloading at random and large threads such as the previous X-Meridian thread (over 1700 replies) are part of the problem.

The old thread has been closed and this one has been created.

If you'd like to discuss this particular sound card further, please use this thread in the same way as the last one.

Cheers.

Original X-Meridian thread link: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=183439

Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  2. MrMayhem

MrMayhem New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Geforce 6600 GT
    Best settings with ac3filter?

Hi all! Just sold my Elite Pro and got myself an X-Meridian. I had way too much SCP-issues which is why I swapped. The sound on the X-Fi was great though, and I want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to make the XM performs as well or better.

I have a 5.0 setup (no subwoofer). To be able to redirect the LFE-channel to my fronts I use ac3filter and make the appropriate matrix.

Now, on the Elite Pro I could tick the S/PDIF option, thus sending the sound spdif'ly to the sound card, which was set to output analog signals. How can I be sure I use the DAC's in the XM in the proper manner? It seems like the XM is more closely matched to the setting in ac3filter, because with the S/PDIF option ticked I cant get it to output via the analog outputs at all, even though I've put it in 6-speaker output mode.

Please advice, I wanna make sure I make the best out of my new sound card. I will probably swap OP:s as well just for fun...

Also, what media player would you recommend, as MediaSource is no longer an option?

Thanks,

/Bo

3. alg7_munif

alg7_munif Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    For movies I use the good old Media Player Classic that comes with Combined Community Codec Pack. I unchecked all SPDIF options in AC3 Filter, I use PCM 32 bit output and for you I think that you should use 3/2 5 channels output, without the SW. For musics some of us here use Winamp with AudioBurst output plugin and Oxygen DSP plugin(check out the old thread for links). With AudioBurst I use 192kHz resample feature and my mp3 never sounded this good before.

4. MrMayhem

MrMayhem New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Geforce 6600 GT
    Great reply, thanks!

I tried to uncheck all the spif settings in ac3filter which rendered me a bsod!!!

Ticked right now is "Use AC3-encoder", "Do not encode stereo PCM", "Restrict SPDIF sample rate" and "Allow 48 kHz".

My test file is an avi with ac3-speaker identification.

I havent tried to figure out what setting causes the bsod, since its a pain to have the comp going down all the time. I've sent Auzen a ticket about this but no answer (in 2 days).

I'll give winamp with the plugins a shot tomorrow. Thanks again!

/Bo

5. MrMayhem

MrMayhem New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Geforce 6600 GT
    Just found out the problem. When I output 16bit I get the bsod. Changed it to 32, as I should have done if I had read your post more thoroughly, but got only the two front channels!?

Setting it to 24bits made all the channels work and I could also untick all spdif stuff.

Thanks for the help!

/Bo

6. alg7_munif

alg7_munif Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    Did you turn off the SPDIF output in Xear3D? If you don't use it just turn it off by clicking the "-" button next to the S/PDIF Output. If you can't uncheck all SPDIF option in AC3 Filter, try to tick only "output SPDIF as PCM".

Edit: I wrote this before I read you answer. The card can only output up to 24bit through SPDIF so I think that's why you get only stereo with 32bit. I think that if you turn off the SPDIF output in Xear3D, you can also get a surround sound with 32Bit.

7. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    There are alot of great I/O plugins for Winamp but as mentioned IMO The best ouput plugin to use with Winamp is the Audioburst output plugin. I think it is the only output plugin that allows for such high upsampling, such as 24/192 that the X-Meridian is capable of.

8. Gamergod

Gamergod Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 512mb
    24/192 is possible with X-FI ya know.

9. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    yea besides 32bit/192khz which what I use with the audioburst plugin. I just heard about this oxygen HD plugin some one has mention.i would google it but google died heh.

10. Kusanagi

Kusanagi Member

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 7950GT SLI
    Quick Question on upgraded OPAMPs

Lurker of the old X-Meridian thread since around page 3...lol, finally decided to register since I finally picked up this card with a new build I'm putting together.

Had a quick question about the upgraded OPAMPs (I guess mostly directed to Robscix, since you've tested most of the compatible OPAMPs i've been looking at). I'm also watching the 'X-Fi or X-Meridian' thread over at AVSForums and see everyone is testing out that latest and greatest OPAMP, the LM4562. However, when using this OPAMP, it looks like you have to set the master volume to 50-65%, or else the card will cause distortion at higher volume levels (posted here -- http://tinyurl.com/26yx43 (AVS) true?) due to the card having 5v output (I'm still not clear on the whole power output on the card in relationship with each compatible OPAMP and what optimal volume to set the card at...).

Anyway, since you're using the OPA2107 right now Robscix, do you get any distortion levels at higher volume levels with the OPA2107? Also, I see digikey is out of both the LM4562 (those things go fast!) and the OPA2107 (which continue to get great reviews as seen here - http://tinyurl.com/2pe39r (Head-Fi)). Was just about to call it quits and just order the OPA2134 when I saw a few Ebay auctions for the OPA2107. Thought about bidding on them since who knows when digikey will have either OPAMP back in-stock. Just before I pull the trigger on the auction on 2 pairs of OPA2107 (the price seems too good to be true), is this the correct & compatible form/socket of the OPA2107 for the X-Meridian? -> http://tinyurl.com/2n9eam. Just want to be sure...

Also, fired off the same quesitons to Auzentech and while their reply was pretty quick and helpful, they didn't touch upon the issue of distortion with the LM4562 at high volumes and card/OPAMP power questions as I mentioned above. However, for those interested, here are the compatible OPAMPs for the X-Meridian mentioned in their reply back -

Compatible specification of OPAMP with our products.

- DUAL
    - STEREO
    - DIP type
    - 8Pin

It is up to you to decide which model would be the most suitable for your needs, but
    we generally recommend the 2134APA.

There are various OPAMPS which is compatible with X-Meridian 7.1.

OPA2134, OPA2107, LT1024, JRC5532, KA4558, LF353, LM833, TL072, LM358, LM741, AD708,
    OPA132, OPA134, OPA604, OPA637, AD797, AD811, AD846, AD843, LT1028, LT1115, NE5534 ,
    NE5532, NJM2114, JRC4580, AD712, OPA2132, OP275, OPA2604, LM4562

http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM4562.html (The link is one of the sites of OPAMP)

As you know, the price of each OPAMPs are different and the quality is greater as
    the price.

11. MrMayhem

MrMayhem New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Geforce 6600 GT
    Does it really make a difference to output 32-bit? I thought the XM was capable of 192/24 at the most. What do I gain by telling ac3filter to output 32bit?

Also, I understand you run the audioburst plugin in 32bits, sam question applies here...

Thanks for the education! :)

/Bo

EDIT: Sorry, forgot. Yes the SPDIF out is OFF in Xear3D.

12. alg7_munif

alg7_munif Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
  13. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Internally resolution could be set for 32 bit. Then it would be downsampled when outputted. It will be up to you if you want to try it out. They say 32/192Khz would have a dynamic rnage outside of human hearing. So even if you did have this higih of a resultion and bit depth I doubt you would notice it.

On the question of Opamps, I tried these three based on recommendations. To tell you the truth I like all three. ALG- Uses the 2134's I use the 2107's and other use the LM4562's. I think alot of people decided to go with these becasue they are new and the specs on the amps are very good. The are giving great reviews to the LM4562's, I also have these on order. If your a student and you need small quantities of a certian component MOST larger chip manufacturers will supply you with samples.
    Ntional Semiconductor makes the OPA 2134, OPA 2227 and the OPA2107
    look through your list and see which chips have the prefix OPA, these are made by National. Hope this helps

14. Kusanagi

Kusanagi Member

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 7950GT SLI
    I thought TI/BB made those...National Semiconductor makes the LM4562...right?

Robscix, do you get any distortion at higher volume levels with the 2107 OPAMP at all, due to the higher voltage rating of that OPAMP?

I put in a bid on those OPA2107 from ebay...hope they're the right ones!

15. alg7_munif

alg7_munif Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    50% of the volume level on the X-Meridian is as loud as 100% on other sound cards, don't worry much about the volume and distortion, if your amplifier can handle it, you can use 100% volume without any distortion, I don't get any distortion with my headphones at full volume.

16. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Pardon me, I have been dealing with so many companies. Yes, Texas Insturments/BUrrr Brown makes them. -
    I don't get any distortion that I can notice. I never crank it up full knowing the output ratings of the opamps. -Though I have to check. Usually though as ALA pointed out, audio electronics are built with a level of saftey on the inputs usually between X5 and X8
    meaning they can usually hand 5 or 8 times more input volatge then they are rated for. -Atleast this is how I remember it.
    I looked at the pic they are the right ones.
    BTW, the 2107's are about $7.50 each and you need 4.

17. Kusanagi

Kusanagi Member

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 7950GT SLI
    Thanks for the clarification, Robscix! Just wanted to make sure I didn't have anything mixed up when I placed my order!

I actually emailed that ebay seller directly and ordered 5 of the 2107 (which from a quick google search look to be "better" (again, that's open to interpretation) than the 2134 (ie. http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/...qd1uq4dc21mp1&topic=30052.msg292260#msg292260, but again everyone is raving about that new LM4562). Anyway, ordered directly from him this morning and figured doesn't hurt to have an extra one..."just in case" (I just couldn't wait for the auction to end, ha -- want to hear this card in action so bad!).

Thanks for the help guys! I'll post my reactions to the card once I have the new OPAMPs here.

18. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    You will notice improvements in the soundstage. Isturments are clear and distinct and easy to locate. There is no smearing whatsoever. You may think the card sound clear right now it does improve when you put in the amps. What really changes is the "color" if you understand what I mean.
    Your right everything is open to interpretation. Everybody I talked to aswell told me the 2107's were better then the 2134's. IT is really hard to define "better" when dealing with these components as they all sound very similar and very different. Hope that helps but probably not..lol

19. alg7_munif

alg7_munif Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    Don't say like that, you guys make me want to buy new OPAMPs lol but I think I'm going to go with LM4562(not now, later) unless Robscix says the OPA2107 is better to him than LM4562 when he gets his LM4562. Btw thanks again to Robscix for testing those OPAMPs and share his opinions to us.

20. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I will post the info later. Those amps are ALL better then stock. THey just have differnt "colors" then each other. ALl would make great amps for your X-Meridians.