Proof of 8800 Vista driver?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by JerseySeven, Jan 8, 2007.

1. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    It's "common sense" to allow yourself to be ripped off? Whatever :rolleyes: You mount a pretty weak argument if one could even call it that.

2. PETEY

PETEY Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS
    So, let me get this straight. Even though Vista hasn't been 100% released, you expect full support for it? And I'm laughing even harder at the guys who returned their cards because of it. I'm having fun with 16x AA. In fact, gaming has never looked better.

Yea, you got 100% ripped off alright =\

Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  3. Bobas007

Bobas007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 560ti
    I love Your "100% rel" and "full support". So the answer is...
    No! They want something more then 50% support! Meaning card=50% support and driver=50% additional support. LOL
    Irony is that people running vistas on vgas not specially designed for new system. That with 8800 can not. Hehehehehe...

BTW: F&u%c$k Vista. MS! Bring us xpsp3 with DX10 technology inside ;)

4. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    What??

Worst Sentencing Ever :p

5. Princess_Frosty

Princess_Frosty Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX580 Twin Frozr II
    I'm not ignoring facts, I fully agree that the packaging and marketing was misleading - THIS IS NOT SPECIFIC TO VIDEO CARDS, every company puts spin on their products, it doesn't matter what the product is, you NEED to understand this if you're to start helping yourself! I would claim that every packaging and marketing for every product is misleading in some way or another

Yes the marketing was changed afterwards because people whined.

I still stand by the fact that Nvidia have every right to with hold public drivers until public release, the RTM drivers and Buisness drivers are out, whether that be simple desktop support, or drivers supplied directly from Nvidia through a partnership.

The problem once again is that you are neither, if you were a developer who needed DX10 drivers you'd be able to get a hold of them directly from Nvidia by creating a b2b relationship with them, as some developers have (obviously the crysis team, etc)

The RTM and MSDN releases are not intended for home users, if theres any big problem here its that home users can get a hold of vista in the first place, that's MS's lack of controling the release through it's MSDN subscriptions.

No developer or buisnesses comes to a public forum to whine their games don't work, simple fact is anyone posting here about drivers obviously should not be running Vista in the first place.

6. Princess_Frosty

GPU:
    MSI GTX580 Twin Frozr II
    No, that's the opposite of what I'm saying.

People all throughout your life will try and rip you off, products will always have misleading marketing and you will not always get what is on the box, in fact you will practically NEVER get exactly what is on the box.

Just because it's not right, doesn't mean you should let people take advantage of you.

It's not about right or wrong, it's about getting what you want. You'll never get people to stop putting spin/marketing BS on their products so just get used to it and start shopping smart.

That's advice, despite the differences in opinions here, the least you can do is take it, and next time you'll get what you were expecting, and be a happy chappy.

7. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC

The second post you replied to was NOT directed at you BTW! I never said Nvidia HAD to release drivers, it just would have been good if they had, and I'm not some naive idiot who doesnt know about marketing etc. I'm well aware of how that works. BUT this was a very deceptive marketing ploy and myself and others felt misled. Anyways, I just picked up a second 8800 (for the second time) and I have never been unhappy with the card because it is quite simply the fastest thing going right now. And judging from what I'm hearing around the web it will be unchallenged until at least March (Way to drop the ball ATI).

TBH, I haven't logged into Vista for about 3 weeks. Too busy playing Vanguard and Armed Assault in XP. Yes, I'm a software developer AND I play games :)

E

8. Princess_Frosty

GPU:
    MSI GTX580 Twin Frozr II
    Great, others should follow Ethnes lead and dual boot Vista and XP, theres no reason why you cannot use XP for now, it's not like theres any real DX10 titles out.

I'm sticking with Vista, after my system change to Intel my RAID 0 now works and the only real problem I have is lack of SLi for my 7950GX2, didn't stop me playing R6V through twice and all my steam games though :D

9. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Just got myself a Quad core and a second 8800. I'm looking forward to migrating to Vista TBH, but no rush.

E

10. pumbertot

pumbertot Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTX
    Well spoken.:supercool
    my quad is on its way but i will wait for r600 before deciding on which dual gpu to run(also why im not buying commando or rd600 yet untill I know).
    lets all just accept that we did expect Vista drives(although I didnt even think about them when I picked up the 8800gtx) before now but hey who cares. gaming has never been this good, I hope R600 lives up to its promises and pushes things to the next level. im sure that inside 2 years we will be playing pixar like gfx in games at good fps, at least im really hoping its so. :D

11. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Personally, I think this year belongs to Nvidia. By the time the R600 finally appears there will be an 8800 refresh for sure and that will be as good or better (Obviously I'm guessing but if history is anything to go by). If the R600 is better I'll switch, I have 0 brand loyalty at the end of the day. 8800 SLI absolutely demolishes every game out there (and is overkill tbh).

E

12. xnetc9

xnetc9 Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800S
    okay okay, i lied. I still have my 8800gts... but i did buy a x1950xtx so that i could have good gaming till jan 30. my stupid 8800gts is sitting on top of 10x300 gb drives, collecting dust.

i think i will crossfire the 8800 and the x1950 once the 8800 has drivers... oooh ya, im gonna go nuts gaming on dual tv cards.

[​IMG]

13. Darkoz

Darkoz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 ULTRA xXx 675/2.3GHz
    No doubt that there is a Vista driver for the 8800 cards, maybe this article will earn some sympathy for the NVidia driver team from those complaining as to why they haven't got a Vista driver yet.
    This part is interesting..............

From Anandtech here:http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2904&p=15

"......Those looking for NVIDIA’s Vista 8800 GTX driver needn’t look any further than Microsoft’s booth at CES. All of the gaming machines at Microsoft’s booth were running nForce 680i motherboards with single GeForce 8800 GTXs, under Windows Vista. The machines were running Crysis and Halo 2, and actually ran reasonably well. Halo 2 was choppy at times and there were some visual bugs with Crysis, but the driver was working and is apparently stable.

We spoke to NVIDIA to understand why there isn’t a 8800 Vista driver currently and why we won’t see one until Vista’s launch. NVIDIA’s GPU drivers these days are made up of approximately 20 million lines of code, which as a reference point is about the size of Windows NT 4.0.

Because G70 and G80 are radically different architectures, they each require a separate driver. Combine that with the fact that Windows Vista has completely changed the driver interface, similar in magnitude to what happened between Windows 3.1 and 95, and you’ve got a “perfect storm” of conditions for driver development. The end result is that for Windows Vista, two 20M line drivers have to be completely re-written (one for G80 and one from all previous architectures). In other words, this isn’t a simple port, it’s a radical departure from the way things were written before.

There are other elements of Vista driver development that apparently require more work than before. DirectX 9, DX9 SLI, DX10 and DX10 SLI support is provided through four separate binaries, which increases the complexity of testing and the overall driver itself, whereas there was only a single driver in the past.

Interfaces for HD-DVD and Blu-ray video acceleration requires a lot more code than before, thanks to the support for a protected path for HD video under Vista. Supporting this protected path for HD content decode means that you can’t re-use the video part of your driver when developing a Vista version.

The last major difference between Windows XP and Vista driver development is that the display engine connecting monitors to the GPUs has been completely redone.

Initial investment in driver development under Vista takes up quite a bit of time, and now we understand a little more of why. While it would be nice to have one today, there’s always a tradeoff that has to be made especially when driver work this intense has to be done. Couple that with the recent launch of NVIDIA’s G80 GPU and the decision was made to focus on DX9 and XP drivers in order to make the G80’s launch as solid as possible, and commit to delivering an 8800 driver by Vista’s launch.

When the driver is eventually available NVIDIA expects performance to be at par, slightly slower or slightly faster than the XP driver. What we’ve seen thus far from other Vista drivers is that performance is slower almost entirely across the board. As stability is currently the primary goal for both ATI and NVIDIA, many compiler optimizations and performance tweaks aren’t being used in order to get a good driver out in time for Vista’s launch......"

Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  14. Darkoz

Darkoz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 ULTRA xXx 675/2.3GHz
    Any chance of you resizing that pic to something smaller?

15. PETEY

PETEY Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS
    Man, you totally caught the point.
    How about - You are crying about an unreleased product - because you want support for it as if it was released.

16. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090

Offensive??? Your the one being offensive bud...stop attacking people.

Princess Frosty was only stating the truth/obvious things about the situation.

17. DaddyD302

DaddyD302 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus Master 4090
    I don't know about you guys, but Ill just wait till Newegg has Vista at oem prices, then I'll buy Vista. If it's plague with bugs, well sucks to me then.

18. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Do you know how to read? You are always trying to stir it up :rolleyes: Frosty and myself had come to a consensus a few days ago, so do me a favour and ST*U. Everything is fine, there is no need for you to fan the flames.

Cheers

E

PS : BTW, It's "you're the one", not "your the one" :flip:

19. Princess_Frosty

GPU:
    MSI GTX580 Twin Frozr II
    Woah woah calm down fellas :)

I think we've all more or less come to accept the situation for what it is now.

20. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    That's what I thought as well mate.

:)