Evolution of Consoles [56K Warning]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Steven Hone, Jan 4, 2007.

1. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    [​IMG]
    i remember my dad buying this for christmas more than 10 years ago :D
    awesome
    those were good times

2. Darcon

Darcon Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX @ 630/2000
    Nice choice in putting the Wii at the end of the list (most evolved) ;)

3. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    i think its in release date order :D
    the wii was the last one :D

4. Mark

Mark Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870
    sinclair zx spectrum, now that was a gaming machine

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Where's MSX?

6. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    I still have my Sega Master System II in the cupboard, it's still going hard.

Got like, 20 games or something for it, as well as the Rocket Launcher thing, very cool.

7. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    So many consoles... I have never had any kind of console, just PC... Really makes me wan't to buy one.

8. QuadCannons

QuadCannons Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 210
    Didn't know Sega had 3 different designs for Genesis

9. TheBoss84

TheBoss84 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 + GTX 970
    I still have the NES, SNES, N64 and Sega Mega Drive aka Genesis.

10. Khenglish

Khenglish Master Guru

GPU:
    external GTX 580
    Sega's big problems began when they released the Saturn. In many ways it was more powerful than the Playstation, but it was extremely difficult to program for. First off it had dual processors, and it's GPU rendered quadrillaterals instead of triangles. The heavy blow was that Sega released the system earlier than planned to try to get a jump start on Sony. Many big distributors didn't even recieve systems for the early release. Third party developers were extremely pissed because their games weren't ready, so they lost tons of sales to Sega. Because of these issues the PS outsold the Saturn, and continued to dominate. Many developers didn't bother to make games for it after the launch because they were angry at Sega, and the Saturn had a small market share, so they didn't want to spend the time and money to convert PS games.

Sega was in trouble when it released the Dreamcast. EA, who by this time had completely monopolized sports games and made many others, refused to make a single title for the Dreamcast. Sega also really didn't even advertise the system, and led people to think it was far more inferior to the PS2 than it really was. They sold the system at a loss, and sold few games to regain the money It didn't take long before they stopped manufacturing the DC, and that was the end of Sega's console building.

11. Khenglish

Khenglish Master Guru

GPU:
    external GTX 580
    I still have a fully functional original Sega Genesis and NES.

My favorite Genesis game... Road Rash II

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I didn't feel like entering the long codes to bring up a saved game, so I just entered a cheat to get a bike that goes 227mph with nitro. The fastest legit bike goes only 181 with nitro. Note that there are no roads in the game with more than 2 lanes, and speed limmits range from 35 to 55 mph.

[​IMG]
    I hit a rock and got a little air, I could get at least twice as high, but then you can't see the bike.

[​IMG]
    I crashed and am now flying in the air at 197mph.

[​IMG]
    Some more flying. This happens a lot at these speeds.

[​IMG]
    I did this on purpose.

[​IMG]
    This is the only racing game I've ever played where crashing was fun.

I tried so hard to get a pic of myself fighting one of the cops (involves chains and clubs), but I could never pause the game at the right time.

[​IMG]
    My fully functional NES. My brother got it in 1987 as a birthday present. He put most of the stickers on, I only added the XP and P4 ones.

[​IMG]
    Look at the power requirements, 850mA for the whole system. Those were the days. Does anyone think the repair number still works?

By the way, my grandparents have a working pong. My grandpa got bored and hooked it up and tried it around a month ago.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  12. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    7.65 watts. My Sega Genesis uses the same miliamps but is at 10v, so 8.5w. I think the fans in my PC use more.

About the third Genesis, yes Sega did make 3. The Genesis 3 was a budget model, which originally retailed for $50 but was reduced to $20. Due to its reduced price, Sega had to cut corners. It lacked an expansion port and some logic chips. The Genesis 3 was therefore incompatible with Sega CD, 32X, the Power Base Converter (adapter for Master System games), and Virtua Racing. That made it unpopular. The Genesis 3 didn't sell well and was only available in North America.

The Genesis 2 was identical to the original but was smaller and didn't feature a headphone port. The expansion port was moved from the bottom to the side of the unit. The idea of the Genesis 2 was to make a more ascetically pleasing game console. This was my first console. I was lucky to get it. My dad hates video games for some unknown reason. I only had five games for it for that reason. Games averaged $70 back then, which is a heck of a lot to an 8 year old.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  13. Kon$olE

Kon$olE Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070
    XaviX?! wth? Wikipedia, here i come!
    I had no clue this even existed!

Thanks for posting, very cool.

14. pysik

pysik Guest

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 460 OC 1Gb
    Checked out "XaviX" and its pretty much what a Nintendo Wii can do, but instead of the controller thingy, it uses the actual thing. :S Like the picture has the bowling ball, u use that as the controller thingy, bowling. baseball - baseball bat, I wikipedia it.

15. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    [​IMG]

ahh the memories, i was 5 and had no ideea why that guy had to jump over the crocodiles (Pitfall) :p

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Out of those i had, or still have...

Genesis 3

Nintendo Control deck

Snes

N64

PS1

PS2

Xbox

GCN

XB360

17. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Have the Nintendo, Genesis MarkIII (with about 30+ Games), PSOne, PS2 (Broken :(), Xbox360

18. Sprecker

Sprecker Guest

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    What about the 3D0?

orenda635:
    Yes the core 360 can be upgraded to become the same as the Premium. Once you add a HDD the only difference is the Core has a white CD tray and the Premium has a Silver one. Inside they are identicle.

19. exscalibur99

exscalibur99 Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 6800GT
    ah.. I remembered when I first play Pong game on Atari Sytem... has to rotate the controller.. lol...

20. Cyclops25

Cyclops25 New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GO 7950GTX 512mb