Radeon X1900GT + Oblivion Instability

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by SL2, Dec 29, 2006.

1. SL2

SL2 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980
    Been experiencing random hardware lockups whilst trying to play Oblivion with my Radeon X1900GT. Seems to kick in shortly after leaving combat then for no apparent reason the framerate drops, a 1pixel tall line flashes across the top of the screen then the sound produces an EMI "static".

Using:
    • Catalyst 6.12 (Non-chuck patch)
    • Default clock speeds
    • Latest UK patch for Oblivion (1.1).

Problem is only present in Oblivion, none of my other games have this issue (FEAR, Farcry, WoW, WC3, Morrowind, NWN2, HL2, Flatout, Doom 3, Painkiller, UT2004).
    Tried a fresh install of game, Catalyst drivers (with driver cleaner), default settings for CPU/System, fully patched WinXP Pro SP2, latest build DX9 etc. I am using the latest Creative drivers (22nd Dec I think) incase it might be a sound related issue.

Anyone else experienced similar issues, have a solution for this or am I just really unfortunate?
    AFAIR, the demo worked fine.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2006
  2. brandonspikes

brandonspikes Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 560GTX TI Twin Frozr
    OC your gfx card,and you probily need more ram

3. morfeus02

morfeus02 Guest

GPU:
    GOOD
    try 6.12 cats

4. SL2

SL2 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980
    How exactly would over clocking a GFX card that appears to be running unstable with a certain 3D application *actually* improve stability by running it outside of the stated recommended stable specifications? Also how would more RAM improve stability when I have not stated there are any issues with loading times or HDD paging during game play?

Just to humour this and prove a point, I OC'ed the card from 575Mhz GPU / 600Mhz VRAM to 600Mhz GPU / 712Mhz VRAM and it did not fix the issue.

Worth a shot I guess.

5. Netgamer

Netgamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6600LE 300/300
    Its not Ram or OCing. i played Oblivion with my old setup

Intel P4 530j 3.0Ghz Prescott
    1gig DDR 400 ~dual channel~
    Geforce 6800 128mb DDR 256-bit 325/700.

i did not play it with Killer graphics but i did play with mid-low graphics, cant remember my FPS tho.

IMO it might be software related issue's. Has it always happened or did it start after you updated anything or changed a setting?

Fiddle around with the settings in the game, try turning Vsync on and off.

6. SL2

SL2 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980
    You are running entirely different hardware of different manufacturers and of a lower specification and are not experiencing the same issue, I'm at a loss how that would be of help me with the most obvious fact being that I'm asking this in the ATi forums and I'm using an ATi based card.

Indeed it might be a software related issue causing this, that I do not know. Yes, the problem has always been present.

Have tried various game and driver setting combinations, none have improved upon or fixed this issue (nor have they made it any worse).

7. brandonspikes

GPU:
    MSI 560GTX TI Twin Frozr
    Alright then i seem to not have read your post clear,i once actully had that problem with fear when i had my x1900gt,aircool told me to do a disk defrag,and ever since that i havent had the problem,try it.

8. SL2

SL2 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980
    Has been done since installation / patching of Oblivion just as part of routine PC hygiene for me. Unfortunately, this hasn't fixed the issue.

9. brandonspikes

GPU:
    MSI 560GTX TI Twin Frozr
    your psu maybe?
    I think you need 400+W for it to run good

10. SL2

SL2 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980
    The amperage ratings on the PSU I have are on par or better than a decent 400w PSU. Consider the game track record listed above, I can assure you that the PSU is not at fault.

11. brandonspikes

GPU:
    MSI 560GTX TI Twin Frozr
    So then the only thing is probily a faulty gfx card

12. morfeus02

morfeus02 Guest

GPU:
    GOOD
    250w psu????????? O.O i didn't notice

man it's not an amperage problem

it's a wattage problem

250w is not enough

the card itself on load consums around 110 W

and probably your 12v rail doesn't even support such power.

i think the max wattage for your 12v rail is MAX 150W and it's not enough to power cpu, hdd vga and all the other things

just to try before buying ask a friend a powerfull psu to try ;)

13. brandonspikes

GPU:
    MSI 560GTX TI Twin Frozr
    Right like i sed.
    Oblivion uses up all your cards power,so its probily warning you that its not being fed power

14. SL2

SL2 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980
    Listen, this PSU is perfectly powering this system and I know for a fact it can take a X1900XTX and bench 3DMark06 for 10 hours going on 11 solid (including both the CPU tests @ 2.5Ghz) but due to practicality I have to resort to using a X1900GT because this Shuttle PC can't accommodate a dual slot card with the case on without some modification (Which I can't bring myself to do).
    If I was running an SLI rig then maybe you would have an argument but my guess is you've never encountered a Shuttle based PC nor their PSU's (Which are much more efficient than normal power supplies) so I'll direct you to the following:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm afraid Mr Antec Truepower is not going to fit in there.

For the sake of your argument, I actually hooked up a spare Antec 550w I have externally and I laughed quite considerably when the exact same issue was present and more so at myself for ever doubting the hardware I run.

So what say you to that?

15. jazziam

jazziam Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 260GTX
    (off topic) Brandon, just random Q, what happened to your x1900GT? you upgrading or did it die? just random Q cos im still in the preocess of building my new rig and i cant decide between x1900GT and x1950 pro? any idea's?

16. jazziam

jazziam Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 260GTX
    SL2 i agree with you and the PSU, Shuttle build these barebones systems and the PSU is very efficent, heck the Shuttle XPC SN27P2 runs a nvidia 570 chipset AM2 processor and has a 400 watt psu which is SLI compatible (twin 12vsb rails each offering 17ampere) so, it may be even the game (software issue).

17. SL2

SL2 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980
    Well I think I proved it's not a power related issue and if it was I can upgrade to a 300w version of my current PSU but there doesn't appear to be a need to at present.

18. jazziam

jazziam Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 260GTX
    well we can elminate....
    *Power Issues
    *Graphics Card faults (as you said runs fine in other games)

could be a driver issue but you've checked over drivers so i guess not...

sorry but im lost :/

19. brandonspikes

GPU:
    MSI 560GTX TI Twin Frozr
    I rmad it to get a x1950xt
    get the Pro card its better i belive

20. brandonspikes

GPU:
    MSI 560GTX TI Twin Frozr
    SL2 try monitring your temps while playing obliv (CPU and GPU)
    Maybe its a heat issue