Auzentech X-Purity/X-Meridian Specs

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    guru3d review was great idd by far best ive seen since it had straight compare between x-fi and x-mer not audigy 2 or so :) and im happy that i bought my x-fi fatality since im not losing in games wich i mostly play. and well if i ever do an htpc id get that card for sure but i usually watch everything on xbox 360 so it doesnt matter atm :)

2. alg7_munif

alg7_munif Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    Robscix,
    You said long time ago you're interested in the Z-5500, in the first week of the launch or the first week when you got the card I think.

Brann,
    Did you use a same card as the recording card or did you run both cards in loopback test? It would be better if only one card is used for recording.

Edit: I think that I did this test correctly and I did it with the long cable from my Z-5400 speaker, you should know that I tied my cable together with other cables so maybe there will be more loss in sound quality along the way as the cable goes around almost everything under my desk. BTW this is unfair as I've changed the OPAMPS.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
  3. NaTez

NaTez Member

You changed the OPAMPs and became better RMAA values?
    As it fits to the explanation that the recording quality limits the results in the review?
    Not at all.

4. Brann Mitchell

Brann Mitchell Member Guru

GPU:
    Ah, the sweet spot.
    Your numbers look pretty good, alg7_munif. Got to love the upgradable opamps! Could I ask you to post the frequency response graph for the 24/48 or 24/96?

I do RMAA in several ways, but for the arty, I ended up using the X-Meridian to record everything including loopback. So, all the numbers, including those for the X-Fi, were from the X-Meridian recording. I also did a X-Mer to X-Fi when I had the X-Mer in the Vista box, but the numbers were dismal... ;)

5. alg7_munif

alg7_munif Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
  6. Tenkanisk

Tenkanisk Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon Sapphire X1900gt
    Anyone figure out what would be the best speakers to go with this system without going full ht?

7. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    @Alg, I wouldn't say it's unfair becasue you changed th opamps. That is part of the design. Also as far as the Z-5500's I changed my mind after our discussion about the digital inputs on the Logitech speakers.
    I think I may get some nice analogs.

8. alg7_munif

alg7_munif Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    Tenkanisk,
    I've read some good feedbacks about the Klipsch 5.1 Ultra.

Btw I got my X-Fi XtremeMusic today, I've just tested the X-Fi using RMAA with the same X-Meridian input, and guess what? It got a whooping -106.9dBA! I'm very disappointed.... not with the X-Meridian actually but with the X-Fi. I've never heard such a low quality sound since I got the X-Plosion before. Eventhough the XtremeMusic also has a good SNR, the sound can't even beat my Z-5400 in digital. Why did I buy the card? Well I got a very good offer for it and I thought that the X-Fi shouldn't be far behind the X-Meridian plus I could benefit from the hardware acceleration in games. Well I've made a mistake but for the price I paid, I think that I'll keep the card just to show to my friends how bad the X-Fi sounds compared to the X-Meridian lol. The difference is HUGE especially when listening to musics with my HD-595. Even if I'm deaf, I still can hear the difference between them with my headphones. I'm not making up stories but you don't need to believe me if you don't want to. I didn't play games with the card yet though.

Edit: Should I put the X-Fi in my spec as well? I feel ashamed that I'm the only one the bought a X-Fi after having the X-Meridian.

9. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Brann also compared the Difference between Dolby Headphone and CMSS3D for Headphones. XM7.1 wins the prize for that one aswell.
    I am gonna worry about speakers later I have upgraded my sound system enough for now. I need a new rig first then I will be getting new speakers.

10. rockonhard

rockonhard Master Guru

GPU:
    Gecube 9600 pro 128
    Kudos to Brann Mitchell for his stunning in-depth review of the XM7.1. I read every paragraph with such great interest except when it came to the gaming part. I just fleetingly read through it since I knew all along that XM7.1 and the rest of the Auzen cards would be a bit tad slow when it comes to playing games (don't care much for sound games anyway).

I really appreciate his thorough testing of the card where it really shines and can keep the competitors at bay, and that is with music and movies. Brann, since you listen to Black Sabbath and Metallica, why not try XM7.1 with Led Zeppelin and I guarantee you will be floored one more time.

I can't believe that this is the same guy who did the X-Plosion review which was a bit lackluster in my opinion. Man, he sure have learned from past mistakes (no offence intended).

Now if you all would excuse me, I need a carton of kleenex to wipe the drool of off the floor ;)

11. DontMakeMeEatU

DontMakeMeEatU Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA 7900gt
    Is it still good to pair the X-Meridian with the Z5500? Or are there better speakers for the same price?

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Dolby Headphone sounds like crap compared to CMSS Headphone.
    It's almost just like some basic EAX effect covering original sound (like standing in a large hall with echo). And thats awful. CMSS Headphone almost doesn't alter the sound and certanly doesn't add any echo.

13. alg7_munif

alg7_munif Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    For me the sound difference on my Z-5400 when using analogue and digital with the X-Meridian is not very huge, the analogue sounds better but the difference is not like a "Wow" factor. However the sound difference on my Z-5400 between digital/X-Meridian and analogue/X-Fi is really noticable. I expected more from the X-Fi actually but it lets me down(in musics, haven't tried games yet).

14. rockonhard

rockonhard Master Guru

GPU:
    Gecube 9600 pro 128
    Wow RejZoR, you are brave comparing (un)Creative's technologies against a giant like Dolby Laboratories' technologies. I haven't tried Dolby headphones and yet and I'm sure it would be an awesome technology since it came from Dolby.

As I am also sure that the general public would certainly disagree with you there, since (un)creative is only known mainly for its game cards like icks. :smoke:

When I do finally get an XM7.1, I will certainly try its headphone capability and also maybe next time I go shopping for a receiver, I will pick one with a Dolby Headphone technology.

Dolby Headphone Overview:
    http://www.timefordvd.com/tutorial/pf/DolbyHeadphone.shtml

15. <><

<>< Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS
    analog 5.1 out or Digital?

Hi
    I am by no means an audiophile, i am coming from laptop speakers but i just recently redid my whole room and bought some new equipment for a HTPC type setup. I bought the similar bluegears b-Enspirer card along w/ the logitech z5500s.

My question is, which would be better to connect to the speakers? The analog 5.1 or the optical? Main use will be DVD Movies, 1080i/p content w/ 5.1 from PC, Music, and gaming (mainly bf2 right now).

Another question, this card has the new OxygenHD chip. This chip does what, makes the analog sound better? If your using analog to connect, and not not using the optical then there is really no use for the onboard encoder right? So is the analog on this card a lot better than other cards out there because of this new chip? Or is the main feature of this card the encoding for digital out?

Thanks.

16. alg7_munif

alg7_munif Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    Test both of them, for me with the X-Meridian I got a better sound with analogue. Eventhough the DAC and OPAMPs on the b-Enspirer are same like the X-Meridian, the circuit and other components are not. You can get a better sound in analogue by changing the cheap cable connecting the sound card to the speaker with a better one so if the analogue circuit and components are changed, the sound will definitely also change. I can't tell whether you will get a better sound in analogue or digital because the b-Enspirer is not the same card as the X-Meridian in analogue but I'm confident that in digital both of them are equal. The chip is only a part of the chain, there are many more things that are important to get a great sound like speaker placement, calibration and etc.

17. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    with the whole Dolby Headphone / CMSS argument. I've used both and here's my take.

CMSS was utter crap on a rather good pair of headphones (Grado SR80s)...perhaps it gives crap headphones the illusion their better...that I can't comment on.

As for Dolby Headphone...I'm a tad disappointed with it's implementation on gaming & music, HOWEVER, if you mate it with an original 5.1 recording (DVDs for example), the experience is downright AMAZING and gives a very realistic feeling of surround sound. I've even caught myself turning around (reacting to one of the effects) and then laughed it off like an idiot that I actually got tricked by it. :p

Here ya go for a quick sample. Go to Dolby Headphone's website and then click on Experience this now --> Dolby Headphone --> choose the flash demo. Throw on your headphones and then comment on it. :cool:

I've used Dolby Headphone for quite some time on PowerDVD with my DVDs and it blows me away. :cool:

18. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    Analog is much better on this card than others however I'd mate it with a digital connection. I rul a full-fledged home theatre setup through my PC and I prefer less wiring and secondly...the sound quality is better driven through my receiver. That's just me though.

19. alg7_munif

alg7_munif Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    If you have a HT receiver, it is better to use the receiver but he's asking about using the Logitech's Z-5500 receiver, which is inferior to the X-Meridian potential but better than X-Fi.

20. <><

<>< Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS
    As far as audio quality goes, is anything lost when the encoder has to encode into DTS/DD for the optical out? And as far as movies that are DD encoded already, how does the card handle an already encoded source? Does it just pass it thru?
    I havent received the card yet, but i've already wall mounted the z5500's and i'll try both the optical and analog when i receive it.
    The reason im asking is what is the main purpose of the card? Is it the Encoder for the optical out? Is it the sound quality of the analog? Both?
    Also, you mention better analog cables? Which cables do you recommend?
    See, my satellite set top box has optical out only that i want to connect to the z5500's, so i could either do one of the following and was wondering which would be better.
    Use the analog cables to connect or get an optical to coaxial converter and use that. I read the guru3d review of the Auzentech and it praised the analog out and that their logitech speaker decoders didn't handle the optical very well and recommended the analog over the optical. So which analog cables would you recommend going from the sound card to the z5500.

Thanks, and sorry if im all over the place w/ my questions :O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.