Mel Gibson may be a drunk but he's got a hit with Apocalypto!

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by dominant1, Dec 9, 2006.

1. dominant1

dominant1 Guest

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    Woodmasterfox not everyone will like this movie i did ,you didn't, to go so far to say my movie tastes suck based on 1 movie, thats a little harsh don't you think.

2. chris2k

chris2k Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI 6950 2GB
    wayhooo dominant! Lets chill folks. Lets settle this by saying:

This movie mite not be to everyones liking. Somepeople may enjoy this movie some may not. Lets not over react when someone expresses there view on it.

Blame it on the linux penguin!:cool:

3. Woodmasterfox

Woodmasterfox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
    Guys relax relax, I've been a forum member here for long enough where I figured you would give me the benefit of the doubt on this one.

I sometimes forget that sarcasm doesn't work over the internet. Dominant man, I didn't truly mean you had bad tastes in movies, I'm just a super sarcastic person and like I said I forget it doesn't convey over the internet. No hard feelings bro.

Same thing goes for Crono.

4. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    I have to point out that Borat is no different. But the racism isn't directed at Jews as it might seem. The fact is he is representing an average man from Kazakhstan. As such he is implying that the general Kazakhstan population is in fact like him and racist against Jews and Uzbekistan. He portrays them in a light that isn't flattering in the least. It is pure racism.

Now that I have said that. I don't have anything against it. I still find most of the Borat stuff funny as anything. Just pointing out that you seem to have double standards.

5. CleavesF

CleavesF Master Guru

GPU:
    Connect3d x800 GTO biosed 16 pipes
    How is Borat any different from say Chris Rock? Chris Rock has taken his share of stabs at blacks, not to mention whites. You are right about Borat misrepresenting Kazakhstani people, BUT you can say the same about any comedy. The genre is allowed to stretch reality and make stereotypes and non-politically-correct remarks.

Sasha Cohen as Borat does comedy in the likes of Ari Shaffir, but to a lesser extent. Mel Gibson's offense comes from his tirades, which are not in a performance setting like Rock or Chapelle, but in public. Hence my negativity to it.

So yes, if Mel Gibson made a movie that made fun of Jews in a film rather than a drunken public tirade, I wouldn't mind as much. No doubt about it.

6. dan182

dan182 Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Connect 3d X1900 XTX
    well sasha cohen is jewish. therefore i see him taking the piss out of people who take the piss out of jewish people.

well, he makes it a lighter form of humour.

7. dominant1

dominant1 Guest

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    I happen to be a person of color , and i must say that guy Krammer from Seinfeld said some ignorant stuff. That being said, I will not be boycotting Seinfeld. What he said on stage has nothing to do with the show he was on. The fact is, that given the right circumstances we are all capable of saying something designed to hurt someone else, therefore its easy for me to forgive Mel Gibson and Krammer for their outbursts. Why should we be surprised when well known people step out of line, we have all done it in 1 way or another.