Overheating Problem with my x1950pro?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by w1w, Dec 2, 2006.

1. binormalkilla

binormalkilla Master Guru

GPU:
    HD4870X2 XSPC water block
    LOL I just checked this post after about 30 minutes: you guys kill me......hey Unity, all of the voltage monitoring graphs that you displayed: where are they enabled? Are they enabled by default, or do you have to tick a box for them? I haven't played with Rivatuner, or any other app for that matter, since the older versions. I guess ATT has a new build, huh?

2. Unity

Unity Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire X1950XT
    It's in one of the tabs, you cant miss it.

Default.

Yep!

3. binormalkilla

binormalkilla Master Guru

GPU:
    HD4870X2 XSPC water block
    OK I'm going to check out both! SWEET (read in Cartman's voice)
    Well I reinstalled Rivatuner 16.2, and it didn't show the VRM plugins......so I enabled them manually just to be sure, and no dice....guess my card doesn't have the specified VRM chip. Trying out the new ATT beta now.....

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  4. w1w

w1w Member

GPU:
    XFX 6950 2GB
    What happened to my innocent thread! ;)

I did try taking the case of and running it (albeit without the housefan) and managed roughly 10 more minutes of play time. However, after reading through the power saver thread, I tried rivatuner and set the fan speed to 100%. This enabled me to play Far Cry for about 45mins before I decided to turn it off (work in the morning!).
    I guess my dilemma is what to do now; see if Scan can sort it out, or maybe Sapphire or shall I just RMA it and go for a Nividia.

All I want is a card which works out of the box dammit! I ain't no overclocker/modder type, I just want something to work as it says it should.
    Shame really though, for the 10mins of play I was getting, the card was great, I could run some pretty demanding settings and apart from the heat, the card didn't drop many FPS, atleast none you would notice with the human eye.

:sighs: what to do, what to do...

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006

5. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Guest

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    lol XD What are you Batman trying to rid the world of bad information. GJ Dark Night.

6. w1w

w1w Member

GPU:
    XFX 6950 2GB
    Update of sorts, I'll just copy&paste my post from Sapphires forums :

Well I've just got off the phone to Scan, I have 28 days to decide what to do with the card.
    Think I'll rivatune the fan to 100% (Scan recommended this as well) and see if I can cause the fault again, if it is just a case of a crap fan and heatsink with a rubbish driver then I might just keep it, as the card itself isn't at fault; it's a damn fine card for the money it's just that the implementation of it on this particular model sucks.

Or I might just wait until Scan get some others back in stock and then replace it for one with better cooling methods (paying the extra of course, which doesn't seem much, <£10).