Rip DirectX 10 to XP/2000... is it possible?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Greggy, Oct 8, 2006.

1. zed201

zed201 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 CLASSIFIED
    Keitosha

I hate to tell you this there was a artical about what MS will
    update only XP pro & win64 for bunniess all there other OS will be
    mothballed after Vista come out cant rember were i read it
    will have to find it again it was on one of the winXP tweakers sites

2. Satan

Satan Guest

GPU:
    some
    I don't think you understand... How would one make 4 billion dollars without overcharging an amazing amount hmm? Would you pay out of your pocket 2 years ago the $300 for WinXP Pro? I got a copy for free from a friend who didn't need his as it turned out his pc wouldn't run it. But I would never have payed $300 for my OS, I would have rather run Linux and be a sad game-less person. Why? Because not all of us have $300 to spare. Each CD of Windows XP likely costed microsoft 60c for the CD itself, 1$ per for the work, and 10$ for the R&D, do the math, that's $288.99 they made off of each disc. If would be one thing if they made 50$ or even 100$, but well over 200$ is outrageous IMO.

-Satan

3. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    I know that DX10 is different than its "XP brothers", we'll see what happens, but with MS's new licence model, it will be interesting how gamers will react with upgrades. (Or better, how Vista reacts after each upgrade) :)

4. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -

You can easily get a OEM Windows Vista for much less than the Retail amount. Not to mention that you do not have to get the ultimate edition for $400 and a Home Edition is likely to suit you perfectly for much less.

5. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    People keep forgetting that Windows XP is a very old operating system, nearly 6 or 7 years now. Time to move on guys if you consider yourselves enthusiasts.

6. Owlsphone

Owlsphone Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GT 490/1150
    People that complain about the prices forget that they'll quickly shell out $300+ for a video card that will be near top of the line for what, 6 months?

The operating system is the core of your computer. You're not getting anything done without it. no games, no web access...nothing.

Sure it sucks shelling out that money, but think of it as a couple hundred dollar upgrade that actually lasts 5 or 6 years without becoming obsolete.

7. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    why do people buy OS anyways???

8. zed201

zed201 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 CLASSIFIED
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
  9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
  10. BoomStYx

BoomStYx Banned

Pirating is also a good solution too, now its against forum rules to say where, or how, but i'll just leave it at that.

And about Directx 10 going to XP, I think its possible, you have to think technical here, just because Microsoft changes the display model, doesn't mean that the directx technology is not usable. All they would have to do is just adapt the xp version of directx 10 to the XP Display model, done. Take them no longer than three weeks. Its like porting a opengl game that uses SDL and openal for sound, such as a modern ID Software game, to linux. Its not too difficult as long as it contains compatible or not too painly rewritable code. And for Directx 10? I don't think there would be anything that would be too painful about it, oh wait, except for the users who bought Vista for directx 10. Thats painful.

One last thing i'd like to add, is that, you may be saying oh yeah, go get the newest Windows because its much newer technology, actually its not, its just a new look, with the same old layout with updated files basically, and new problems. Why is 2000/XP so stable nowdays compared to other versions of Windows? Because its been around for so long. Little wakeup call for you haters.

So don't get too excited over the technolgy yet, or over this OS, you don't even know if it'll get pushed back, for all you know, some big stuff will go down, and they'll have to push it back for winter of 07, and not upgrading your video card from the pissant video card you probably have, will you wait that much longer?

11. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
  12. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    he knows that dx9L is a new dx9 version... it's the article from The Inquirer that states that "DX9.0L will be a DX10 for Windows XP". Shows you how credible The Inquirer really is

13. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    do they make it up or what...

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    no, they're just full of crap... most of the time, anyway...

15. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I know that it's not real DX10 (just as Getsuga said) and that's why I queted what Inq says about it.

16. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
  17. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    ........and we wont make bill gates richer cause he's leaving in 2008 :p

18. zed201

zed201 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 CLASSIFIED
    ExtremeTech has a artical on DX10 & DX9L and how it will be use in vista
    DX9L will be use in vista to be backwards compatable with programs that are not DX10
    DX 10 will only work with programe that are 100% DX10 what ever the spec. of DX10 end up being
    All DX9L is is a upgrade for DX9C to use 64bit\32bit it has nothing to due with DX10

19. StormVR6

StormVR6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti / GTX 650Ti PPU
    How you and others of the same ilk - basically common thieves - can come on here and freely state that piracy is "a good solution" make me sick. It's you criminals that force companies to come up with ever more complicated copy protection software, which ultimately just irritates the paying public. Are you proud of stealing? Do you think it's somehow big and clever? Anyone can do it, it's just most of us have something called a conscience.

Oh and the rest of your post is unfounded crap, your obvious attempt at trying to sound convincing failed miserably.

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Just a quick question... Are you sane? You're not making any sense, apart from making yourself look like a complete *beep*...

PS: and for our pissant video cards, at least we're not hiding them, unlike you who left his profile blank, because you're probably embarrassed about your fx5200 (great card, don't get me wrong...). Oh, and welcome to Guru3D.