Airbags will cause severe hearing loss

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by KoncreteAngel, Sep 8, 2006.

1. CleavesF

CleavesF Master Guru

GPU:
    Connect3d x800 GTO biosed 16 pipes
    impulsive noises, like guns and airbags cannot be quantified in terms of hearing damage.

Many people do suffer from hearing damage from impulsive noise, but many people don't.

It's actually pretty weird.

2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Your right, I think it has more to do with duration of the sound. Not the SPL.

3. Kon$olE

Kon$olE Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070
    A friend of mine was recently involved in a car accident involving airbags... he got a few burns and bruises, but the airbag more than likely saved his life, and his hearing is just as good as it was before.

4. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    Yes, i would rather have a few cuts/bruises and a headache for a few weeks than have my head imbedded in the steering wheel...case closed.

I think it's the pressure from it that can damage your hearing...a huge volume of air is moved around extremely fast...and because the volume of a car isn't huge, it hurts.

Maybe leaving the window open an inch would help lol

5. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    you sir, HAVE ISSUES!!!

6. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    Well, if you don't want to go deaf, don't get into accidents. Simple solution. :D

Glidefan has got it right. All the airbags in the world are no match for a good seatbelt. Unfortunately, a lot of people still don't wear them, which is a mystery to me. They claim it messes up their clothes. We'll see how neat your clothes look when they're peeling you off the pavement with a drywall spatula. :eek:

7. Woodmasterfox

Woodmasterfox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
    I think everyone is agreed that airbags=goodness.

With that said, I think getting hit with an airbag is the closest thing to having a flashbang go off in your general vicinity (I've also been lucky enough to have that experience, although it wasn't very close to me and I had my eyes closed). My ears were ringing for a good 10 minutes.

8. Damnit

Damnit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6700XT
    It really depends on the person. I disabled my sister's airbag because it would have done more harm than good! My sister being a small person would probably have her neck broken if she used an airbag. And it has happened to smaller framed peoples in the past.

9. Icebird

Icebird Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I'd kill for anything remotely similar to safety in my old beetle. Not that it would matter. I am dead either way if I ever crash. Stupid gas tank in the front. *pictures huge explosion* The seat belts are just a rope ffs. Oh gosh....

10. nforced4good

nforced4good Banned

GPU:
    Geforce 7900GTX
    :O You gots a beetle!

got any pictures of it (with the no. plate not visibile of course)

Love Bugs rock!

11. MrOuija

MrOuija Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF2 MX 400 32MB/GF 7600 g
    Well airbags might cause severe loss of hearing, no airbags can cause a severe loss in living. I'll take my chances, Ty

Well I'm really sad to say that out of personal experience I know that over 60mph no seatbelt in the world can stop you from flying, hitting the steeringwheel or dashboard. I think it's always the combination of airbags AND seatbelts that is important. Too bad airbags weren't used so much back then.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2006
  12. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT

Airbag dont work without seatbelt... own fault if not use 1

13. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    maybe ur sister needs this

[​IMG]

14. KoncreteAngel

KoncreteAngel Master Guru

GPU:
    1800xt 512mb
    Again 90% of accidents you would be fine if you are wearing a seatbelt with no airbag. Its the 10% very high speed ones that you need the airbag.

Another thread with more people posting that it is a fact that the airbag caused the hearing loss. Accidents that would of left them totally unharmed if the airbag didnt deploy.

It makes me sick to my stomach.

http://www.hearinglossweb.com/discus/messages/12/733.html?WednesdayFebruary2220060249am

15. RES

RES Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290
    Dude.....just where do you get these stats you keep quoting???? I work for the Department of Transportation in Washington State and have been to many accidents and assisted in their investigations. There is NO evidence that air-bags cause more harm than good! Please don't state your uneducated opinions as facts.....some people might actually listen to you.

"You can't fix stupid" Ron White

RES

16. Emachine

Emachine Banned

GPU:
    Diablo tek Geforce 6600
    Just ware Earmuffs as ur driving problem solved.

17. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It's a ***** car, that's why it lacks safety. It's evil. :D
    I'm just messing with you Ice. My Dad just got a VW Audi A6. The business he co-ownes owed us some money for allowing it to run out of our basement for 10 years, so essentially we got a brand new luxury car for only $20,000. :thumbup:

Airbags do reduce injuries. I don't think there's so much a need for front ones though as long as the steering wheel is collapsable. Side impact airbags can be life saving, especially since t-bones and sideswipes are the most common.

18. Emachine

Emachine Banned

GPU:
    Diablo tek Geforce 6600
    Ok a loud College Stadium is about 100 Dbs. ( according to Nca07 when pumping the croud). SO how is an airbag going to produce over 100 Dbs?

19. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    You've obviously never worked around pnumatic equipment.
    Airbags actually inflate by producing a small explosion. Explosions result in strong shockwaves. Those waves are likely what damages hearing.
    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/airbag.htm

20. heads_up

heads_up Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5770 1GB
    Do u know if u dont hold your steering wheel at "10 and 2" then it is more likely that the airbag with get caught on your arms and break them, and then they hit u in the face.

Thats why i dont have airbags, not to mention going deaf is like one of my worst fears.