Airbags will cause severe hearing loss

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by KoncreteAngel, Sep 8, 2006.

1. KoncreteAngel

KoncreteAngel Master Guru

GPU:
    1800xt 512mb
    I just learned that car airbags can make you lose most of your hearing.

I saw a tv show called making the movie: jackass 2, and the guys on the show set off an airbag for a prank. After it was set off they were all holding their ears yelling "ow that hurt!!". I then searched google and learned that airbags can cause a massive hearing loss, they sometimes register as high as 170 decibels(even 140 is severely damaging)

Just read this therad on all the people that complain of being deaf from airbags.
    http://www.hearinglossweb.com/discus/messages/61/755.html?SaturdayAugust1920060108pm

I am trying to get my airbags disabled now. Id rather take the chance of being more injured than having the hearing of an 80yr old man.

2. iRkuN

iRkuN Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4850 512MB OC
    From choosing to lose some of my hearing or to lose my life/get crippled on chair for the rest of it, i choose the first.

3. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    Yeah... airbags are good as far as i am concerned. I wouldn't want to hit my steering wheel. Yes they can cause hearing loss, but how many cases have you actually heard of this happening. None? I thought so.

4. KoncreteAngel

GPU:
    1800xt 512mb
    Heard is the irony right there.

Of course not, its because people are not aware that the airbags could cause this. This actually has been news, there are many articles about this. Its just people refuse to believe it.

5. Jeremy

Jeremy Guest

GPU:
    -
    I would rather have my life saved than my hearing lost. Fullstop.

6. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900XTX
    i personally dont like airbags... they can do more damage than they can prevent.... my sister was in an accident and because of the force the airbag opens with ended up with a disk in her neck out of place.... it took years of chiro to get it back to normal

7. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    The force of them opening you end up with burns along the insides of your arms too sometimes.

People prefer to live though.

8. Morketh

Morketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 580 3GB
    well burns heal..
    my grandma is like 70 and she had her airbag go off on her, burnt her arms but other then that she was fine

9. KoncreteAngel

GPU:
    1800xt 512mb
    Big problem with airbags is that they often go off in minor accidents. Accidents that normally would leave you unhurt but BAM, you've now got the hearing of an old man for the rest of your life.

Also airbags are really only effective if your not wearing a seatbelt.

10. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    Would have only taken months if it was a physio :p *shameless plug*

11. Icebird

Icebird Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Dumb title. It CAN cause hearing loss, not will. Don't think it has ever been news though. Still beats dying, don't you think?

12. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Guys, that is why it is called "SRS". Supplementary Restrain System.
    You HAVE to use it with your safety belt, and also be atleast 20-25CM away from the stearing wheel. (Your chest or the place where the bag will open, from the actual doggy bag). If you are too close and/or don't have your safety belt on, it can do away with more stuff that just your hearing. Do that, and the worst thing you can get is a bloody nose. (In a non-serious collition of course)

13. nforced4good

nforced4good Banned

GPU:
    Geforce 7900GTX
    id rather an ejecter seat... :D

14. Woodmasterfox

Woodmasterfox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
    I say this thread starter is an idiot. DO NOT disable your air bags. I got in a wreck in a mazda miata that was pretty bad and the only thing that stopped me from being ejected from the car was the airbag. Yea, it was really loud and yes, it did hurt like hell and split my chin and lips open, but it probably saved my life.

What do you think is going to hurt more, your face getting hit by an airbag and hearing a loud bang (boo-hoo) or your face smashing through a glass windshield.

15. nforced4good

nforced4good Banned

GPU:
    Geforce 7900GTX
    ....the glass wind shield sounds painfull....

but then.. i've have my head smacked into a brick wall by a pacific islander.. soo... yeah.. its probably gunna be worse with the glass...

16. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    Yeah, the airbag is a good thing.
    People used to get impailed on steering wheels.
    Also, side airbags are a really good idea: Look at crash results. Same car with and without go from dead to nearly unharmed. There's nothing between you and that car but a few mm oif metal and some plastic otherwise.
    My car has umpteen airbags and that makes me happy.
    The other advanatge to airbags is that they costs so much, after the go off your car's more likely to get totaled. Who wants a "fixed" crashed car?
    Airbags save more lives than they take (or injuure). Same with seat belts, but there are still those morans who think being "thown" at 60mph is safer than the minimal risk of "being trapped".

17. nforced4good

nforced4good Banned

GPU:
    Geforce 7900GTX
    ...i'd prefer to be thrown into a ditch then be trapped in a burning car... i would like my remains identifiable... to an extent...

18. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    Yeah, but you're FAR more likely to get hit with no fire than have that happen.
    Seriously, if you're worried, they sell seatbelt cutter/windoiw breaker tools.
    Not wearing a seatbelt because you think its dangerious makes you a darwin award candidate.
    Note that when you get thrown, may things can happen, none of them good. Theres a video of a guy thrown on a freeway, then nailed and dragged to death by a semi. Otherwise, you slit your skull on the tarmac or get extnsive roadrash, which causes shock and death. Thats pain.
    I'm, amused that you're more worried about your remains than your life.

19. nforced4good

nforced4good Banned

GPU:
    Geforce 7900GTX
    oooh, hell no, i'll wear a selt belt... still.. your more likely to get trapped in a car if you drive a WRX or XR8 or HSV... any high powered muscle cars where the driver is a total revhead...

..i wish they still made Deloreans.... damn those rocked..

20. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I would really prefer to smash my body and FACE/HEAD into a bag filler with air as opposed to the steering wheel and possible windshield...we all love our hearing sure but in a Bad car wreck, sometimes if you just live you should be thankful...thax for the info though...

Last edited: Sep 8, 2006