CONROE BEAST (ithink)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by bcurko, Aug 22, 2006.

1. bcurko

bcurko Member

GPU:
    Hightech ATI 3650 PCI-E 512MB
    hey everyone im probably going to get a pc christmas time so vista should be out by then im not sure if i should get it 1 because their are 6 different versions and 2 its extremely expensive so is it worth it these are the specs im hoping to run the OS on not sure about cpu though think i should get a e6600 by christmas they should be cheaper (Hopefully)!
    Motherbored Gigabyte 965P-DS3 $259
    CPU:E6600 Core 2 Duo price $495
    CPU Cooler:Zalman CNPS9500LED $72
    Video Card: Power Colour X1900XT $519
    RAM:2 x 1G OCZ DDR2 675 5400 $239
    Hard drive:Seagate 320GB SATAII 16mb $144
    DVD-RW:BenQ dw1640 Dual layer $45
    Case:TT( armor jr + 430w PSU black $192
    PSU: Thermaltake Tough Power 750W$155
    Mouse:G7 Laser gaming mouse $120
    Keyboard:G15 USB gaming keyboard $108
    LCD: WideScreen 20" Samsung 205BW $529
    Total so far thats unless i get dual 19 inch lcd's $2877 with 20inch with dual 19inch monitors 2 chimei 19inch lcds $300 ChiMei CMV 938D 8ms response time

prices are from msy itestate and pcmaniacs staticice so i wanna know what u guys recommend im also thinking of changing the video card to a X1900XT power colour from itestate ?
    thanks to anyone who replies in advanced greatly appreciated!!

2.5 k is mainly my budget but will go up to 3k if necessary and alot better performance otherwise 2.5 to 2.8 k is my limit THIS IS ALL IN AUSTRLIAN DOLLARS
    I LIVE IN AUSTRALIA so im mainly looking at getting dual 19inch monitors and a X1900XT made by Power Colour so comments ??

2. Sounds good,

May I ask why you want dual monitors?
    If its for gaming you may as well forget it, most games are horrible on two monitors, if its just for increased desktop space and multitasking then its fine.

You can always look at the option of a bigger high res monitor tho like a 24" with 1920x1200 res it is nearly the same and you dont have to worry about any of the dual montor hassles.

If you really wanna go hardcore get a 3 monitors and a tripplehead2go, that is good for gaming and you will have insane desktop space and multitaksing abiilties.

3. micketh

micketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070 8GB
    if you buy a pc at christmas and you want a high end card you wont be getting an x1900xt :). Nice system similar to what ill be purchasing shortly. You could probably get better ram for that CPU as well.. just a thought. Also Nforce 590 and 570 will probably be out by then and im guessing that will wipe the floor with x975 and 965. So I wouldnt go with a DS3 either.

4. Hackez

Hackez Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA
    First I'll propably be sticking with XP as long as I possibly can unless Vista shocks me and doesnt severely hog and/or bog down gaming performance. secondly, I agree with the above poster, by christmas you'll be looking at a different graphics card more than likely, as for the ram I'd recommend at least DDR2 PC4200, thats the ideal speed meaning if you get some tight timings that would help you avoid any bottlenecking.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2006

5. Yeah its kinda hard to plan a furture system with current parts, however if what ever new comes out doesnt have significant performance gains its always good to take a back seat and get the "bleeding edge" parts that come at a considerably discount because they wont have the premium for being the "best" anymore.

Its always best to do that anyways, because what ever is the best wont be for very long anyways.

Only thing that would make me break that rule is if its somthing that will last much longer or hold significant importance, like a DX10 card may be worth the money if DX10 becomes important, but it proabably wont for atleast a couple of years, and then you need vista... and ect ect...

So just keep your eyes open for oportunities to improve the system at little cost, or save alot of money with a very little loss in performance and you should be golden.

6. Loki91

Loki91 Guest

GPU:
    nVIDIA 8800GTS 512MB @670
    Check StaticIce for the cheapest prices in different stores across australia for all ur parts, but in general MSY has been known to the most low prices (not lowest, most low, there's a difference you know).

7. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    I don't think a X1900XT costs >500USD now (in the States, that is), much less around Christmas...

And for cooling, I like Arctic Cooling Freezers better, they much lighter than Zalman CNPS.

8. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    He's an Aussie, $500AU. Which is probably right.

I second staticice.com.au, it's good, even if you just use it to find your best price, and get onto the shop and say "Well man, I can get it from <x>, but I like to support you guys"

9. S_Kinton

S_Kinton Ancient Guru

GPU:
    512mb 8800GT & 22" Samsung LCD
    No offense, but it always amazes me why people go through the effort of pricing up all their parts and starting a thread for something they're buying in 4 months time or more.

Prices will be totally different down the road, along with hardware choices, so theres not much point in doing it until a few days before you buy.

10. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    That's no excuse ;)

11. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    nforce chipsets for intel are garbage.. anand just took a 570....

so please i know for amd theyre great, but for intel that 965 is going to wipe the floor of any Nf4 and Nf5 varient.

ive been seing this all the time, Amd users sugggesting Nforce for intel.

NO NO NO

Also another common mistake with conroe setups.. the ram

DDR2 800mhz gives u NO performance increase. Why look at the darn FSB 266:400 you can say sure but you have a high oc? think again PC2 5400 leaves you 266:333 which isnt bad and most DDR2 will do 800mhz speeds anyways...

unless you put overclocking in the mix DDR2 800 is a waste

P.S micketh this isnt aimed to you, dont get offended, theyre more general mistakes

12. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    No excuse for not reading ;) Are you blind? =P