Alienware = Aliencrap

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by 91LudeSiT, Aug 12, 2006.

1. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    scoutingwraith: i'd pick the Vento too..... least it has a hydraulic lift for the drive bay cover. lol.

but yeah...... Alienware = huge ripoff. and their cases aren't that great anyway. most of the time some company comes out with a case that looks exactly the same as the alienware cases about a year later.

as others said.... pretty much all you pay for when you buy an Alienware is their own style of case, the Alienware name, and their "performance boosts" that they seem to love so much that anyone who knows how to use Google could find for themselves.

edit: just to test how much of a ripoff they are.... i decided to build an Alienware system that comes relatively close to my specs. the alienware system i built came out to $2,282 before a $200 instant rebate.

after adding the hardware that i purchased (or an equally priced product around the price of what i have for those products Newegg doesn't have) to my cart in Newegg, minus a case and peripherals, the total came out to $1405 after like.... $25 in instant rebates.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
  2. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition

lol, poor people are funny....but those who buy alienwares and such, dont care about money.

thats like asking why lamborgini's dont come with a spare tire, the answer as quoted by a dealer was "people who buy lamborgini's, dont change tires"

my friend had one a couple years ago, the nice thing about it is...they work and play games exactly how a pc should, no problems, no hiccups, just pure buttery smooth gaming

3. Preachergeek

Preachergeek Guest

GPU:
    MSI 8800gtx @ 655/950
    I dont think you should dismiss someone as "poor" just because he does not buy from a ridiculously overpriced company.

As for the lamborghini thing then all i can say is that is my, and many others opinion it is more like buying a Peuguot 107 for £100,000, when you could easily build yourself a lamborghini for £80,000. (btw before some wise arse says "building a lamborghini is not easy", understand that it is infact a metaphor)

4. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    Uhm, irf his alineware actually works as desrcibed, he's lucky.
    Alienware notebook have i think for dying quick

5. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    xrc: it's not that they don't care about money...... it's that they don't care enough to look around for something better. pretty damn sure you can get a computer even cheaper than Alienware from CyberPower or iBuyPower or somewhere like that...... but you know WHY stupid people buy Alienware brand PC's? ADVERTISING!!! Alienware has advertisements everywhere on the net.

It's the same with iPod's against every other MP3 player out there. i have been a fan of Archos's MP3 players since i got my first one about 4-5 years ago.... was an Archos Jukebox Studio 20 MP3 player/portable hard drive. that thing, to me, at the time spanked anything Apple had to offer, especially price wise. why didn't people drool over Archos though? not much advertising. Now, i have an Archos Gmini 402 20GB MP3 player that plays .avi, .mpeg, divx...... and is a portable hard drive, and has a few little games (though not that interesting games).... cost about $250 last year. why are people STILL not buying Archos? Advertising.

I actually e-mailed Archos about why they don't advertise or anything, and they actually told me that their main headquarters is in Europe, and their advertising budget for the US is pretty slim.

6. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  7. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    yeah. Archos makes products that are SOOOOOO much better than iPod's. granted you have to pay a bit more for more features.... they can still do a ton more. like the one your friend bought...... can record a TV show if you want it to. I've already watched the Green Day Bullet in a Bible tour DVD (ripped to .avi of course) on my Gmini 401, and it looks and sounds terrific.

Basically what you pay for with iPods is in it's size, the Apple logo, and the "click wheel". i dunno bout you.... but i'd rather have a player that can do a lot than one that's uber-sleek. If you want.... i could take a pic or a few of my 402.

back on topic: yep...... Alienware < *

8. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    why do people shop at a trump store when they can get the same thing cheaper elsewhere...theres endless anology's on why people pay too much for stuff and endless reasons. comparing prices is only relative to those who have to do it.
    but fact is if you can afford it, then it doesnt really matter does it?

besides, how many PC buyers out there does anyone think have the skills necessary to build their own pc and overclock it from scratch?
    same things could be argued about HP or Dell

9. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    anybody can figure out how to build a computer from scratch and overclock it. all it requires is a bit of knowledge of how to use Google. having money isn't an excuse to spend a small fortune on an overly priced PC. just like how having money isn't an excuse for buying feature-lacking, heavily advertised iPods.

I'm sure that just about anyone in here would have to say..... even if they could afford an Alienware, it's not worth it. main reason people buy Alienware is cause it's advertised as being THE gamer PC. that way they can go to someone that has say... a Dell XPS system (which are also excellent gaming rigs from what i've read) and say "Hey.... i have an Alienware". it's basically so you can say "hey, i have this". other than that..... to the people that know better, it's laughable.