system error on blue screen?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Accorkie, May 15, 2004.

1. Accorkie

Accorkie Member Guru

GPU:
    8600GT 256MB
    i randomly get a error where it states something about IRQL_NOT_LESS_IR_EQUAL . anyone know what this means? and how to fix it?and at the bottom it states something about dump files what are dump files ?

2. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Dump files are just the OS writing all the unsaved info to a file........I think.

Make sure you don't have any card in the PCI slot below your AGP card either.
    Apparently they share the same IRQ.

3. Morpheous416

Morpheous416 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Super OC 12GB
    In case you are interested in the DUMP FILE settings, here is where it's located:

Right click My Computer icon, go to Properties. Click on the Advanced tab. Under Startup and Recovery, click on the Settings button. Second section below is the System Failure options. The first pull down menu are the options for the dump file. I strongly suggest NOT setting it to dump the entire contents of the system ram. Whatever your RAM size is, will be the size of the minidump.dmp file.

I recommend setting it to 64k. (default setting)

4. Tamika

Tamika Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno 3D Geforce 6800 GT 256mb AGP 8x @ Stock
    Reinstall time!

5. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Just have quick look through your Device manager, and make sure nothing is conflicting......XP is supposed to take care of it, but it doesn't always do a perfect job..

6. keenrw

keenrw Master Guru

GPU:
    GF 7600 GT 580/750
    Hi

I have had this error a few times , only with one game at the moment thou . i have heard on other sites that it can be a few things ......bad stick of ram , overclocking too far , conflicting hardware etc etc .
    I have lowered my FSB a bit and run with the case side off and touch wood nothing so far , but i have only playied that game a few times since .

Rich

7. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Yeah, you can test your RAM here...

www.memtest.org

Just be sure to try it with only 1 stick of RAM in your machine at a time. And leave it running at least overnight or something.
    If it's good, move onto the next stick.

8. Mekhollandt

Mekhollandt Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce 260| Core 216
    Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Information->Hardware Resources->IRQ

IRQ stands for Interupt Request. Basically, it's like being on a bus with a bunch of other people (or hardware devices), all with their own destinations, none of which can be the same. IRQ is like pulling the cord on the bus to make it stop, telling the driver that its your turn. However, if two people try to get off at the same time, the rules are not being adhered to and the computer fails to make the correct calculations on the function, hence forcing it to quit (the dump is actually a failsafe stopping your computer from frying itself.)

That said, look at your list and make sure that nothing is sharing the same IRQ (often the agp card and something else, but not always). If it is, you can literally remove a PCI card from its slot, and place it in another slot, oftentimes correcting the problem, but not always. You could also copy down your IRQ settings and post them, and one of the gurus could proabably catch what's making it happen. Like Finchwizard said, XP is supposed to take care of this, but for some reason some motherboards like to fight this.

9. SorienOR

SorienOR Guest

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    The "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" Stop x0A error has nothing to do with standard IRQ's.

"The Stop 0xA message indicates that a kernel-mode process or driver attempted to access a memory location to which it did not have permission, or at a kernel interrupt request level (IRQL) that was too high"

The bad news is it is basically a very non-specific error that may be a bad driver or bad hardware.

As far as the dump file, there is a program to read it on the XP cd. Check out this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315271

Tells you how to interpret the numbers to try and find the source.

10. Mekhollandt

Mekhollandt Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce 260| Core 216
    Had the same problem on a VIA chipset board about a year ago, everytime I played a game called Earth and Beyond. Switching a Soundblaster Live card fixed this, so trying it probably wouldn't hurt.

I've heard in most situations such as these, going through hardware and removing it one piece at a time and running the programs that make these errors pop up can at least let you know if its a hardware related issue. Though it can be a driver issue.

Is there anything listed when you get the screen saying "NVdisp.dll" when the error comes up?

11. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Drop your AGP Aperature size to the lowest setting as well......

Sorry to bring it up again, but I've found after just reading the net, this can be caused buy bad AGP aperature size, try dropping it down to the lowest setting.

Or your PSU doesn't have enough grunt........

Plus it happens alot when you are overclocking, so make sure you 0 everything and see if you still have the problem.