L2 cache not being detected by mobo.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Guest, Oct 7, 2000.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey there,<BR> <BR> I have a Gigabyte GA-7IX mobo with which I am running a week 42 AMD Athlon 500MHz CPU. Wcpuid, 3DMark200, and CPUINFO from AMD all tell me that I have 0Kb of L2 cache runing at 1/2H2 speed. Now, I know for a fact that I should have 512K of L2 cache. I e-mailed Gigabyte and got no response, and the only thing AMD had to say was that I should use the most recent BIOS for my motherboard; which I am (version F2). Maybe someone here has a fix for me? Thanks!

2. Definately a BIOS issue. Did you check your BIOS thoroughly ? You can dis/enable L2 cache in the BIOS.<P>You can also check the CPU in a friends system and see if L2 is working properly.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

External and enternal cache are both enabled. Have been from day 1. I may try an earlyer BIOS, I belieave I didn't have this prob with version F1. Thanks for the help bud.

4. Very weird problem man. Please keep me posted on your findings. I'm very curious about this matter.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Alright, I figured it out! Version F2 of the GA-7iX BIOS has a bug in it that disables the L2 cache. There is a beta bios F3a floating around that fixes this. You can also fix the prob by going back to version F1. Thanks for the help, bud.

6. Aah, I knew it had to be a BIOS issue. I'm glad it was solved man :}