Internet Connection problem? or something else....

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by Tanthalin, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Tanthalin

Tanthalin Guest

Lately Ive been having a problem that I may not directly be related to EverQuest, but I usually notice it happen when I am playing.

Im wondering if anyone has experienced this and may know whats up.

Scenario 1) I'm in EQ and everything seems normal, when all the sudden the number on the far right of the connect meter goes way up to 3000 - 4000. At this point I no longer seem to be able to do anything in game, but I do see updates such as tells and chats etc. Shortly there after my packet loss % numbers start to climb until I get "you have been disconnected."

When this happens 9 times out of 10 I end up at server select and can immediately go back into the game, but usually it keeps happening over and over for several hours at least.

Scenario 2) I am NOT in EQ but I am browsing the Internet. I am fine for a while, then mysteriously pages start to time out and/or downloads in progress fail. This can go on for several minutes then pages are fine again with no action taken by myself. This problem also can go on for hours at a time.

So far I havent been able to narrow this down since it happens both in EQ and out of it. I have called AT&T Internet support and they cant find any problems. When this problem happens I am unable to connect to my modems built in web page (admin stuff etc) which makes me think it has gone down. However, when I look at the modem during one of these times all appears normal.

Today I put up Sygate firewall on my PC just to track what is trying to get in/out and the only thing I see that I dont recognize is NDIS User I/O. I blocked that and still have this problem so I dont think it's related.

This problem occurs whether only My PC is online or all 3 of the PCs are online. When I have the problem, if one of the others is online, they also have the problem.

Do any of you have any further suggestions on what I could look for?

My system:
    P4 1500
    768mb Ram
    SBLive!
    Geforce 2 64mb
    NiC connection to Cable internet
    Latest drivers and no sharing IRQs
    Windows XP fresh installed

2. Ant

Ant Don Michael Corleone

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D 9600GT 512MB
    This sounds heavily like an ISP problem rather than you. However before contacting your isp, you should see if you can hook one of the other pc's directly to the cable modem, i.e. not through any other device/pc. If it does the same thing, then it maybe your cable modem.

Synaps posted a nice link.. try this http://www.dslreports.com/linequality to test your line.

However if its your ISP's local gateway, then this isnt such an easy fix. Your ISP might not be so happy to fix that.

GL.

3. babylou21

babylou21 Guest

I have ATT

Well, I have had a problem with ATT cable myself. At first they said there was no problem.. But 1 week later they called and asked how it was working that they infact found a problem in the line??? My problem is losing connection to the internet. I have to unplug the cable modem and get it to reboot. I still have to do this occasionally. I'm still not sure if it is my NIC or maybe even the modem??? any one else experience such an issue... atleast now I can usually play some games.. but soon as I get out sometimes it loses its connection... I do have another pc which I can try the connection with to see if it is the NIC. The NIC is on the motherboard on my current PC. So, last word is it could be ATT even though they say it isnt!!