Ashes of the Singularity v2.4 update brings Vulkan Support

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Arbie

Arbie Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Why would anyone "hate" this game? It's a beautifully crafted, modern RTS that attempts to bring all the best from earlier productions and run it on today's multi-core hardware. The attention to detail is remarkable, the graphics are stunning, and the gameplay is fluid and continually refined.

Find something else to hate, such as the endless stream of melee-bound "first person shooters".

3. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    RTS are cool to hate, it's been that way for a while.

Neat to see another game supporting Vulkan; I wish more would.

4. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I'm curious if Vulkan performs any worse on Windows 7 than on Windows 10.

Hopefully Vulkan will catch up to the DX12 performance. I assume high DX12 performance in this game has been important for both AMD and Nvidia.

5. cpy2

cpy2 Member Guru

GPU:
    Ti 4600
    This is a game? I always thought that this is just some sort of benchmark demo or something.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    For the first Vulkan release, I'd say the performance is pretty good. I'm sure they'll add patches to further refine performance.

You kind of answered your own question - the people who hate on this game are the type of people who only play FPSs and adventure games (not RPGs - too complex for them). RTSs are a very adult genre since they require critical thinking and patience. RTSs punish you pretty hard for failure, and a lot of kids can't handle that - why do you think so many schools hand out awards for things like coming in 6th place, "great enthusiasm", or "being a team player"?

That being said, I noticed most people who hate on RTSs are also the type of people who don't like playing shooters like UT where you have to actually have skill to win. I never liked games where you die in just a couple hits, because it really comes down to "whoever sees you first wins". I want to be able to put up a fight, and I want who I'm facing to prove themselves. I'll pretty much never play a game like CS:GO or Battlefield for this reason. </rant>

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  7. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    I don't think anyone hates the game per se; Oxide however have stained their reputation with this title through misinformation.

In case you missed the ordeal, at some point they were shouting how asynchronous compute was the second coming of Jesus Christ and they were implying how Nvidia is anti-consumer for not supporting it.
    The decreased complexity from having an emulated async solution allows for less heat and higher clocks. And it turned out that Nvidia didn't really need it either. AMD has far more holes in their pipeline, holes that can be filled with compute tasks. Nvidia's uarch simply doesn't have nearly as many holes.
    So it's practically a design trade-off, a very common thing in hardware architecture.

Sh1t got confusing when Hitman came along and showed asynchronous compute giving an average FPS increase of what, 5% on AMD hardware? It looked like asynchronous compute was more specific than Oxide had said.
    Like, combined with the fact that Oxide had been with AMD since the beginning this whole thing started smelling weird. Not only did Oxide assume too much, they 'incidentally' assumed heavily in AMD's favor. AMD also released some near-cringe statements that certainly didn't help their case in the long run.

And ironically, Nvidia was accused of not supporting DX12 because they weren't doing async the way AMD was - even though they were supporting more features from the DX12 spec sheet. They still are. And even more ironically, Intel's iGPUs support more than both.

TL;DR asynchronous compute is the most useless overhyped tech from the past years, even though Oxide and AMD swore by it at the expense of their reputation.

Maybe this is what Hilbert meant in regards to why some people might hate this game. People tend to look at the developer too. Most people for example are accustomed to taking anything from EA or Ubisoft with caution.
    I for one won't believe anything Oxide says from now on without confirmation from a third party.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  8. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Yes, it looks great, but the gameplay itself is complete cr*p.
    I am a primary RTS users since the very early days, starting with things like Dune 2, Warcraft 1, Command & Conquer and the amazing Total Annihilation... and even today trying/playing almost any RTS that appears.

Ashes kept me about 20 minutes in front of it, never to be started again. Total disappointment, I want my money back.

In contrast, I still play Supreme Commander (which has this concept of large-scale battles with thousands of units) every day 10 years after it's launch...
    Very sad that it's simulation is single threaded, otherwise it would be the best RTS ever. Even so, it probably is.

9. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I hate this game because we have to hear about it so much.

Yeah we get it, an average-to-bad game ran better on AMD for awhile.

10. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Well, this is obviously good news.

However, I'm reading early reports of Nvidia users having a much wider gap between DX12 and Vulkan, than AMD users.

11. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    My thoughts exactly. I never seen anybody talking about gameplay or anything gaming related, only benchmarking.

12. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Ashes of the Benchularity might be a more fitting tittle ! although to their honor they support so many technologies on their Game mutli-gpu 3 api's optimisations you name it .... whats next support for 3dfx glide ? :banana:

schim do you spy on me ? I LOVED ADORED WORSHIPED Unreal tournament and 2003 and 2004 every C&C till 3 Civilizations and rpgs my all time favorites are Never Winternternights 2 Gothic 1/2 and the old baldur's gates well a lot more but those are my favorites of all time the first and the last cod i played was the first one Call of duty 1 after that i just had no interest for em !

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  13. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Considering how well they support the game and have been patching it. It's a pretty good game actually.

14. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    troll much?

15. sunnyp_343

sunnyp_343 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG GTX 1080
    ****tiest game ever made. "Asses of the Singulerity

16. Arbie

Arbie Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Well, I have several hundred hours into Ashes and have enjoyed every minute - locked to the screen. But then I feel the same way about the Crysis games, which have also been roundly hated.

I might think that I'm too easily pleased, except that practically every other game in these genres seems like crap relative to these. I appreciate the smoothness and intelligence of their gameplay, the focus on what's important, the refinement of the engines, and especially the huge variety and... replayability!

17. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    I agree with this 100%.. It looks cool, but the gameplay is terrible. I got a refund. We need another C&C or Supreme Commander game.. sigh :(

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Let's Fix It.

1st Oxide got flame from nV's fans as game was AMD "sponsored" and being "benchmark". Then it got flame from AMD's fans as it was actually running better on usually equal nV's cards over AMD's.

Then they kind of uncovered that nV used dummy Async "implementation" in driver. And refused to do nV specific stuff as it was alteration of standard DX implementation which would negatively affect AMD's performance. Or nV specific code path would have to be made, but that would make difference in IQ between manufacturers and game could no longer serve as "benchmark".

That brings it to love/hate. Many people who bought it use it only as benchmark. And Oxide does not really want to kill this feature as it brings additional money.

And while some, like xIcarus may not like it, there have been tests of ASync done when Pascal came and repeated again later.
    At that time GTX 980 Ti (Maxwell) Lost few % of FPS with ASync ON, but GTX 1080 (Pascal) Gained few % of FPS.
    No, that's not because Pascal introduced holes in processing. That's because Maxwell was simply missing HW capability to plug very same holes Pascal has.
    Enabling ASync has certain software overhead (read CPU cycles due to game+driver processing), if that goes to null HW, then there is proportional loss in performance unless this software part runs outside of main thread.
    But idea is that this mentioned overhead causes smaller loss than HW gains. That's why Pascal gains from ASync.

This has been confirmed by all ASync capable software solutions known. Including Time Spy bench:
    [​IMG]
    And then there is another reason why Oxide is being hated by some. It is nasty set of words: "Asynchronous Shaders".

And when one looks at ASync on AMD vs. nV...
    3 queues capable to actually execute certain tasks in overlapping way vs. 2 queues which really are just about plugging "holes".

Can't wait people turning coats and loving ASync if gaming Volta gains full support and gains similar to AMD chips...

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, there is certain level of elementary brute force required, then there are efficiencies.
    It is all about number of transistors vs. gain. And if something quite small and simple can gain 10%, then another thing 5%, and another after another...

That's what got us to today's performance levels. There are hundreds to thousands of small improvements involved. We just get to name few bigger ones which are exposed via software.
    We should not belittle something what gives additional performance gain at little investment.

But there is something to question. Fiji with 8,9B transistors vs. Vega 10 with 12,5B transistors.

That's 40,45% more transistors and yet it is about equal in clock to clock comparison.
    Actually, if Fiji got just 3072bit HBM2 IMC and got clocked to 1,5GHz due to 14nm manufacturing, it would beat Vega 10 while costing much less per chip.
    That's really weird part of Vega 10, those additional 3,6B transistors. That's budget required to build Ryzen 6C/12T as 8C/12T is 4.8B transistors (including caches).

20. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Fox2232 - Another way to look at the current situation is that Vega isn't being fully utilised and so isn't really being tested to it's full capabilities. It's also one of the first consumer cards that brings some performance that benefits professionals. Even Nvidia bringing some elements of their professional cards to Titan X doesn't take away from what Vega is trying to do.

However, it's also been a waiting game for both vendors to have the complete list of features for DX12/12.1. This has meant that not all beneficial features are being used from either vendor. AMD supporting 12.1 is a crucial step. Nvidia also needs to improve when Volta comes, so devs can start implementing more advanced DX12.1 that both vendors will benefit from.