Which of these fans is best ?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by BB Gun, Aug 16, 2017.

1. BB Gun

BB Gun Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G
    I've been looking over the past few days on what case fan to take, and I'm perplexed to how many of them are and the differences in price, RPM, CFM, size etc... All of this made my 10 minute search turn into 5 days of research.

I've decided between

Noctua NF-AF14 FLX
    BeQuiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm
    BeQuiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm High Speed Edition
    Arctic F14 PWM
    Corsair ML140 Pro
    Fractal Design Silent R2 140mm

Any opinions on which one do you guys think is best ?

I'm basically looking for a fan with good airflow for cooling my case compononents especially the GPU since I plan to overclock it, and want to cool it as much as possible. I don't mind the noise also because I'm wearing headphones all the time, but still something <2000RPM.

Also if anyone has any better 140mm fan suggestions, let me know and reasons for it.

Thanks.

EDIT: I will buy 2 of the fans, 1 will be at the front (slightly blocked by HDD cage), and the other one at the bottom (free from any obstruction), so I'm not sure whether to take 1 SP and 1 AF or 2 of any of these types.Also my case is Fractal Design Define R5
    http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series/define-r5-black

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    They are all good fans..

Just pick one based on what you like visually.

3. archie123

archie123 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    I have 3 140mm be quiet silent wings 2 fans (1000 rpm) running direct to the psu so all full speed , not silent obviously but a low hum , very good fans for noise , airflow is good they perform about the same as the corsair fans i had in before that ran a lot faster and made a lot more noise (cpu temps and gpu temps a little lower) cant comment on the others never used them

4. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I really like BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 which are probably my most favourite fans with few others

Here are my suggestions

Thermalright TY-143 SQ
    Thermalright TY-147ASQ
    Phanteks PH-F140MP
    Phanteks PH-F140SP
    BeQuiet Silent Wings 3
    EK Vardar

Yours chosen fans, really depends on case and filters used

Noctua NF-A14 FLX not sure if I would choose them, these fans can be louder and are more expensive than above suggested fans

Actic F14 are pretty good fans, what I like on them is PWM and price and they push decent amount of air but they're not the best fans on radiator

ML140 looks like are good fans but not sure how they perform as intakes or exhaust fans as I never run them, I will have 2 pairs of these fans for testing and will do few quick tests for my self

I usually as case and heatsink fans I use Thermalright TY series or Phanteks fans mostly for case fans, for radiator fans I like BeQuiet Silent Wings 3, EK Vardar F3 1850RPM or Phanteks PH-F120MP etc

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

5. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    i went with the corsair 140mm maglev and its by far the most air i ever had push through my case and quiet

6. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    Another thumbs up for the ml fans. The only thing making noise is the blades themself pushing air and there is no bearings that can wear out.

7. BB Gun

BB Gun Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G
    Forgot to mention that my case is , Fractal Design R5

Ok, last call before I buy:

Noiseblocker eLoop 140mm
    Phanteks PH-F140SP
    Phanteks PH-F140MP
    Corsair ML140 Pro

Which of these ones do you guys is best ?

Also forgot to mention that if I would go with the Phanteks I would buy 3 of them while the rest would be 2.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  8. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Personally as airflow goes I would keep as front 2*140, exhaust as 140mm and bottom fan as 140mm or 120mm depending on fan mount, remove unused PCI_E slot covers and raise case by 15-30cm this should help with good airflow, fans control through the PWM

Don't put any fans on top at moment if you really don't needed, sometimes putting fans on top only screw the airflow and you will not gain a lot, what only increase is noise but this depends if you are running air cooler or AIO

For fans all of them are very nice fans, Noiseblocker eLoop are very nice fans but they are expensive, depending on fan speed then I would choose them only if Phanteks are not available

Phanteks PH-F140MP are pretty much awesome fans, running them mostly as my main fans and using them on most of my builds as they're good priced and offers great performance and performs nice on radiators, if they're available then I would get them plus they're quiet up to 1200-1300RPM

Phanteks PH-F140SP are good fans as well just issue with these fans is these fans are non PWM fans and some boards will not control them as should,with Aquaero fan control of these fans is pretty good and performs pretty good as well as intake or exhaust fans and on radiator they perform good for speed 1200RPM and they're pretty quiet fans up to 1100RPM

ML140 Pro not sure I never tried them, Thermalbench.com tested these fans and he really like them and what I don't like on them is price

Review of these fans

http://thermalbench.com/2016/07/29/corsair-ml140-pro-140-mm-fan/

And Phanteks fans review

http://thermalbench.com/2015/01/07/phanteks-ph-f120mp-ph-f140mp-fans/

And good thread about airflow improvement in Define R5

http://www.overclock.net/t/1547358/feedback-r5-airflow

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

9. superpoeper

superpoeper Active Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX1070 O8G
    i would ALWAYS pick these over anything else:
    they are not cheap but they are top quality in my book...

BeQuiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm

or the "high speed" model WHEN AND ONLY WHEN you use a fan controller (they are rather LOUD and annoying sounding without reduced RPMs)
    The regular BeQuiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm is rather silent at less than 17db, performs great (move a lot of air in comparison to the noise they produce), has a black broided cable which looks nice and has 2 ways of being mounted (regular fan screws and a vibration reducing push pin which i always like to use when i install them as case fans)
    In Belgium they also include a sata power connector which makes it possible to run them at 12V (full speed) 7V and 5V (lower V = more silent but less air moved)

(look at the pictures https://www.alternate.be/be-quiet!/Silent-Wings-3-140mm-Case-fan/html/product/1291853?event=search)

They have one downside, as far as i know they are not compatible with a lot of air CPU coolers due to the mounting corners (they work great on be-quiet CPU cooler of course).

10. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink

Hi there

PWM is bit wonky on these fans I agree, did you bought 3 pin or 4 pin PWM fans, 4 pin PWM fans are good if you can control them through PWM but on some motherboards or even through the fan controller like is Aquaero

Please have look on this review

http://thermalbench.com/2016/09/05/be-quiet-silent-wings-3-120-mm-fan/

If you are will be buying fans in future consider have look there first

Assuming you are have older board like you are said you are still on X58 board which doesn't have good PWM control like newer models

Agree these are not cheap fans but perform pretty good and are quiet fans

Most of CPU coolers like Noctua using 140mm fans with 120mm mounting or 140mm fans, really depends on yours CPU cooler if they are compatible or not

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

11. superpoeper

superpoeper Active Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX1070 O8G
    i always recomend buying the normal (lower speed) 3 pin kind and i almost always use a simple fan controller on connect them at 12V without any issues...