Need your help GURUS!!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by zee3b, Aug 10, 2017.

1. zee3b

zee3b Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 260
    Hello,

I recently build a pc and started playing PC games again after 5 years +

A friend is selling an unopened MSI GeForce GTX 1070 quick silver OC to me for $320 or EVGA FTW GeForce GTX 1070. Either I can do that or get the AMD vega 56 that gets released next week for $399.

What would you guys recommend I do?

1- buy MSI one
    2- buy EVGA one
    2- buy AMD Vega 56

Current pc spec : intel i5 6600 skylake, 16 GB DDR4 ram
    Thanks!

2. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli

Personally My friend, at this very moment, I would strongly recommend waiting until we get the reviews of the vega 56/64 on Exclusively on Guru3d, :).

That's what I would do, I picked up 2 1080ti's several months ago, I knew vega would be somewhat ways off at that time, mainly due to the hbm2, Couldn't be happier.

In sli mode, I get much as double in a half performance increase over the last 2 980ti hybrid, Overclocked to almost near 1500mhz.

Wait for reviews first. If the 1070 is faster, which I think I doubt, but could be wrong, go with evga, fantastic warranty, Can overclock the damn thing, something goes wrong, can get a new one, Usually if there is NO physical damage present. they are very good far's my experience goes.

Wait if you could, and if you your into heavy overclocking like us do on this site, wait and lets make sure the vega can be overclocked, hopefully, comparable to nvidia offerings, won't know untill the nda is lifted, after reviews, decide then, thanks.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    As BugBear suggested above, rather wait for couple of weeks for Vega benchmarks. Also knowing AMD, expect that card will get only better over time due to driver optimisations.

4. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Biggest gain I ever seen in a driver update was back when I had the 2900xtx, lol.

I think It was the 2nd or third driver for the card, and right when a new driver came out, about double or more performance in ESIV: Oblivion, I could not believe it, just in driver update, I said holy shi_!!!.

Never seen such big gains since then, driver speaking, Unreal.

Around when 8800gtx came around, and neither could run:

Can it run Crysis?

Absolutely not. Even with 2, :(, even if scaling was excellent with 4, absolutely not.

Lol, I remember I had to back down the resolution a bit cause I couldn't run the damn game with either the 2900xtx nor the 8800gtx, and these cards were the fastest cards in the world at that time, And crysis online beta at that, ran like shi_, like less then 10 fps, muahahahaha., even at 720p, ran bad.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017

5. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7800 XT
    If it's as simple as you say, then go with #1! $320 sounds like a deal.

You might ask yourself why is your friend selling the cards for 68% of the cheapest 1070 on newegg?

Are you sure you can get a Vega 56 at launch? Are you sure they wont be selling for more than $399 due to high demand?

I've had issues with EVGA returning defective parts multiple times - so I wouldn't be super optimistic about their RMA process.
    I've had issues with AMD drivers on older, but supported cards. Even if the V56 turns out to be a great performer, what about drivers down the road?

6. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4090 OC
    I am with amdbb, do not want to have buyers remorse!!