AMD Also Released Bristol Ridge APUs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Bristol Ridge APUs have been available for the OEM market for a while now, not to confuse them with Zen architecture. Together with the Ryzen 3 release, AMD is unleashing some SKUs into the market in ...

AMD Also Released Bristol Ridge APUs

2. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm not sure how i feel about this. If AMD is still bothering to release new APUs on the old architectures, it makes me wonder how far out Zen APUs are?

And if it's awhile out, the question goes to, is it really that hard to attach a GPU onto the die?

3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Dumb question but are any of these overclockable? At least the IGP?

4. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Previous APUs IGP have been overclockable, so i don't expect that to have changed, i'd hope?

5. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    It's not new, it was released to OEMs at the begining of the year, they had many APUs in already made and need to sell as many as posible to get some profit before releasing the new ones

6. fl2015

fl2015 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Just seen the x4 950 available for preorder for £50, while the r3 1200 is at £100 the x4 might make more sense for those uber budget builds you plan to upgrade later on to fully fledged ryzen processors.

Not to say these are anything as good as a g4560 but to get an AM4 system up and running cheaply while you're still scrimping together funds for something decent could be a good option for some.

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    As stated by the article, these aren't exactly new, they're just now available for anyone to get. I'm sure the Zen APUs are going to come out after Epyc.

Also keep in mind these are Excavator chips with DDR4 support. They should also have smaller transistors compared to the AM3+ CPUs. That being said, though they won't be as fast as Ryzens, I think these will be decent products. I suspect they'll be better than FM2 APUs. If they can be overclocked, they will definitely be better choices than the Ryzen 3 series.

8. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
  9. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    So what I'm gathering is all AM4 parts are all unlocked multipliers.

But you also have to remember, this is running on Bulldozer tech. Meaning the clocked rate is higher, but you don't see a massive gain on the core clock as much as you do with Ryzen. It helps definitely still. I'm more excited to see how the igpu overclocks, and how the ddr4 memory scales to it.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    True, but on the other hand, Bulldozer-based parts OC much higher than Ryzen, and it seems a lot of these parts have pretty low TDPs which ought to offer a lot of OC headroom.
    If these parts are in fact unlocked, that would actually make these very good products for the price point.

From what I recall, Excavator is roughly on-par with Sandy Bridge clock-per-clock, at least in multi-threaded tasks. Sure, that's outdated performance, but it is far from bad performance - SB is still a very capable architecture by today's standards. Even without the IGP, I suspect DDR4 would be a big help.

FM2 APUs were really starved for memory bandwidth, so an R7 with DDR4 could make for a very good IGP. FM2 IGPs were good, but had so much untappable potential.

Personally, I think these Bristol Ridges would make for great family PCs, or budget gaming PCs, at least until Zen APUs come out.

11. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP

Probably closer to first gen i7, the lack of l3 and l2 cache hurt its performance in many applications, hard to believe it only has 2mb of l2 cache,

there are prescott cpus with 2mb of l2 lmao.

12. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    They need to change these to Zen cores already the cup/gpu thing they got going here is amazing from my experience just cup ipc is lacking.

13. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    If you need the GPU portion of it, then, sure i guess? But in CPU performance, definitely not?

By that i mean there are budget gamers who might be interested in a new R3 CPU, that considering they'd have a dedicated GPU, and if they were only willing to spend up to the R3 prices, i'm not sure i could tell them to get one of these instead...