Review: AMD Ryzen 3 1200 and 1300X - Entry Level Going Quad Core

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    Sandy Bridge is still a player

3. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    No wonder the i5's are going to become 6cores after this... it just got crushed by a chip half the cost... cheap quad cores are now a thing, great for people wanting to get into gaming on the entry level stuff

4. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    Huge chunks of Intels i3 and i5 range are now redundant or soon will be when the APUs land as well.

5. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Thanks HH! :)

Quite impressive for the price.

6. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Very nice entry level gaming CPUs. Now people can make a mean gaming PC without having to spend a lot.

You can say the same regarding Ryzen R5 and R7 seeing that the gaming performance difference is not as big as the number of cores suggest...

Intel is going to have to rearrange their pricing structure and lower their prices...

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  7. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Great review, but it misses i3 in almost every benchmark and the idea is to compare R3 to i3.
    People tend to forget that one of the main benefits of the i3 is the integrated GPU. Ryzen doesn't have that, so I doubt Ryzen 3 will sell better than i3 in the near future (not just because of the IGP but because of Intels branding).

8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Yeah, Intel has always categorically refused to send out i3 procs for review. Can't help it. But I agree on the IGP, it's a bit of a miss in the segment.

9. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    APU's are coming to address that:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-apu-bristol-ridge-a-series-athlon,35096.html

10. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    No IGP same speed and cost as a G4560, G4560 is the winner.

11. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  12. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    AMD is shaking the CPU market really hard and thats good for us consumers. I have respect for AMD, rising from the ashes.

13. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Wow some of the gaming improvements are impressive. R7 now officially back on my radar.

14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    These performed better than I was expecting, but aside from home servers or 4K HTPCs, I don't really see the point in these. Whatever desktop needs these could fulfill, an APU would be a better fit. I have a feeling SMT is artificially disabled in order to justify their performance tier and price level. Here's what I think should've been done instead:
    Ryzen 5 would only have hex core and quad core CPUs with SMT, both CCXs, and all 16MB of L3.
    Ryzen 3 would be quad cores and dual cores with SMT, but utilize only 1 CCX (and as a result, would have to have 8MB of L3).

15. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I very much hope they do not make any dual-core Ryzens. No need to stunt the future any more then Intel already has.

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    A dual core Ryzen would be kind of stupid, but if that's all they've got left working on the silicon then it becomes a situation of "might as well make it; it's just going to be trashed otherwise". This is why single-core Semprons and Celerons have existed - I don't think either company really expects anyone to buy them, but it's better to spend a little extra on packaging and maybe return some profit than to just throw it away. Products like these are useful for embedded devices anyway, like cash registers and POS machines. However, AMD never mentioned dual cores in their roadmap. I guess they figured that the probability of them being able to make a dual core without something else also being too damaged (such as the memory controller, infinity fabric, or L3 cache) would be too low and not worth the investment.

Anyway, a dual core with HT/SMT is still very usable by today's standards. Not good enough for power users, but they're just fine for grandma or a library PC.

It wouldn't surprise me if AMD releases a dual core desktop APU.

17. Arbie

Arbie Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Seems like a leftover statement from earlier Ryzen articles (in the Base Specs part of the review).

18. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Personally, that's the problem right there.

Not only is a dual-core not fine for a grandma or library PC or any PC (due to the fact of how many things are going on in the background of a modern PC) but the mentality behind "just fine" is the problem, in my opinion.

The more and more people continue to say "Oh, well that person doesn't need much, so its understandable why they still produce (insert item here)" is exactly why companies go "Oh, so many people still use (insert item here), might as well not fully support anything else"

This is why i really hope AMD is done with dual-core processors. If they aren't made, and if intel follows along, then maybe, just maybe, developers won't say "Well, 90% of our users only use dual-core, so lets not worry about letting it use, efficiently, anything more then 2 cores"

19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Ok, I'll revise my statement: a dual core (with HT/SMT, mind you) is plenty sufficient for grandma or a library PC. A plain dual core without logical threads would be "just adequate", but you'd be pushing its limits and might get some hiccups once in a while. I assure you, it is easily feasible to have a snappy smooth experience on a 2c/4t CPU.

I get that, and that's a valid point. But you have to keep in mind that up until a couple years ago, the average person couldn't afford a decent quad core, with or without HT. For some people here, getting an i5 was a big investment. Remember too that most PC sales are laptops or limited-functionality office PCs. Even today, most laptops are still dual cores, for efficiency reasons. Only now are developers actually taking a hard look at adding more threads to their tasks, because only recently has the average person had access to an abundance of threads.

20. Grotlo

Grotlo Member

GPU:
    GTX 980 ti G1 Gaming
    Hi all

Just a quick question. I've got i5 4690k overclocked to 4.6Ghz which I'm using mainly for gaming.

I'm getting score of 709 in cinebench. Would Ryzen 3 1300x be a downgrade to my current system? I would rather not buy high frequency memory + motherboard + CPU...

On the other hand, these processors seem awesome for those that are building from scratch.

Thanks all!