AMD Halts Support for Windows 8.1 with Consumer Radeon drivers

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    That's a pretty pathetic excuse from AMD.

3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    8.1 is a small install base. However I don't see why they would drop support.

4. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    AMDs drivers hell, this week i wanted try Doom demo on my mothers W7-x64 AMD APU - 7600, i never had problem on Nvidia or with Intel (unless card wasnt support at all), run the game but in menu i have got 0xc0000005 error, i have tried multiple Radeon drivers and Vulkan runtime and its not running and its not running even in OpenGl mod.

5. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    No we should not be moving backwards to government sponsored malware 10. 8.1 was literally the last decent windows(metro sucks but the operating system itself is good).

6. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    I think is ok to drop support for 8.1

The big deal is win10 vs win7. Win 8.1 for me was an unfortunate middle release.

7. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    If you ask around, who wants the latest high performing stuff, moved to win 10.
    Win 8.1 is missing dx12
    If you want latest driver for latest games and latest gpu, you should be like that also for your OS.
    Whatever you may like or not win10 less than win8, is obvious that MS is paying attention just to win10. Malware or not, if you stay wit MS you have to jump on the latest train.

8. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    DX12 is only necessary for trash hardware that cant brute force poorly optimized games. Windows 10s memory compression is similarly for potatoes that have 4GB of RAM.

10 is for the general trend of consumer hardware being made as cheaply as possible. It is definitely NOT catering to the high end. Its catering to the low end.

People with high end hardware ought to loathe windows 10 because of what it represents. It is not progress. It is regress.

It takes control from the user by forcing updates, regardless of their function. It torrents updates because M$ wants to save their money and bandwidth by screwing consumers. Then theres all the data collection thats on by default.

10 is pretty much just a spyware reskin of 8.1 with some features only useful to the worst POS PCs out there.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    That's just nonsense and you know it, and when someone with Nvidia hardware decides to trash AMD hardware in a AMD driver thread.....

I'm assuming this is annoying for those on 8.1 but AMD have limited resources, and 8.1 is a pointless OS these days.

10. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    "So there you have it. It is time to upgrade to Windows 10 folks."

Sorry,but no.
    Back to Windows 7. (Win 8.1 still has support from M$ until 2023,but M$ spread the order66: Win 10 bloatware&spyware CU Edition need to prevail)

Thats not true,Windows 10 & 8.1 & 7 still have ACPI x64-based PC driver from Windows Vista,driver version from 21.06.2006(check your device manager). :D
    So,Windows 10 & 8.1 & 7 have same kernel as Windows Vista 2006 with few improvements & new themes.

Windows 10 is not an "new" OS,just a bloatware piece of software.

11. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Master Guru

GPU:
    270X Hawk 1200-1302
    And this is why they are doing things like this. People support AMD no matter what. Not fixing bugs for supported GPUs, dropping support for windows, rebranding cards with tweak or two and selling them as new cards...

This is amazing way to earn more money, especially if people will buy their products anyway. I hope they will drop support for win7 too since they became too confident in their decisions.

12. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    Its the only windows worth using. Has a lot more ACTUAL performance and security than 7(which had a good UI), without all the nagging spyware of 10. Windows 10 is for the computer illiterate people who dont know better, and caters to the Apple demographic of the clueless.

13. mmicrosysm2

mmicrosysm2 Guest

GPU:
    8 MB SDRAM
    Agreed, Windows 8/8.1 despite the whole Metro and no Start Menu is a decent stable and reliable OS.

14. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    I have to agree with this. Basically you either want to be on 7 or 10

OS Market share (June 2017)

7 = 49.04%
    10 = 26.80%
    8 = 1.37%
    8.1 = 6.4%
    XP = 6.94% (mostly China I suspect)
    Vista = 0.53%

15. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    Because popularity means its good right? Most PCs are sold with integrated graphics. CLEARLY thats superior to all those silly discrete GPUs.

16. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    uhm, to support more operative systems will require more time and money, in there, i understand AMD, why the people doesn't like 8.1 over 7? i don't know.. i have been using it in my laptop for some years (with start8 installed) and it is very very cool. But well! i suppose we should move the direction they want us to move -_- (10 is ok too)

17. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    I haven't got a problem with 8/8.1, apart from the Metro fiasco that is. But it was Microsoft that forced Metro on PC buyers with 8 and a good percentage of them hated it. By the time they partially corrected it with 8.1 it was to late and it gained a bad reputation just like Vista got. Therefore it'll almost disappear in a few years just like Vista.

18. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    Drop your address here, I will be sending you a tinfoil hat tomorrow!

19. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
  20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    MS themselves dropped all support for updates for 7/8.1 for Kaby Lake and Ryzen and newer systems since several months ago (except critical security updates). I guess AMD was influenced by that.