AMD Shows packaging of its first HEDT Ryzen ThreadRipper CPU.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Oh come now. We know x299 and the i9's are the "hottest" things to hit this year.

sorry had to do it

3. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    haha^ loop/ Looool

4. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Do you really think a 180W TDP 16-core CPU will not get hot? :p

5. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Ok is that what the Retail box is going to look like or someone just made that for a show? Looks really good btw.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    At the very least, this is what the 16-core model and/or reviewers will get their hands on.

Its amazing how much someone's mood can impact a review. Even judges tend to decree more serious punishments if they're hungry and waiting for lunch/dinner. First impressions are a good way to curb pessimism, and fancy packaging is the first impression to a product.

7. Abc666

Abc666 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 1070 8GB
    Looking sharp, real sharp:smoke:

8. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    HAHAHAHAHA

That's a good one! :D

9. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    Pfffft, meh!

And - YAWN.

Overhype, nothing else.
    I am waiting for a glimpse of proper Intel's multicore chips (those, that are not yet released). And 6-core Coffee Lake. And 10nm. Those are interesting.
    TR - is not, sorry AMD fans.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Whether you like it or not, TR is interesting - it interesting enough that Intel made an 18 core in spite of it. When Intel considers it interesting, it is interesting. Whether or not it is overhyped is a different story, but we can't conclusively say it is until it is reviewed. The hype could be adequate (though personally I'm betting on overhyped).
    However, what is stupid are the people who plan on getting 10+ core TRs for gaming purposes, thinking all the extra cores are actually going to make any difference. Sure, the extra memory channels might help, but that's about it. 6c/12t AM4 or 1151 CPUs are good enough, even for streamers.

Meanwhile, the 6-core Coffee Lakes aren't interesting (in comparison to TR) - they're products that should've been released several years ago and there's a good chance their prices aren't going to be competitive. The only thing that is intriguing about them is why it took Intel so long to release them. Going from 14nm to 10nm is also un-interesting, because it's just an incremental bump with predictable outcomes.

There are plenty of things about AMD's roadmap that are un-interesting or just downright disappointing. TR is not one of them.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017

11. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    The Eye of SUron.

12. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Except of course AMD Threadripper has a soldiered IHS and 80% more surface area to dissipate heat. Intels is smaller and uses cheap thermal paste, since AIO's watercooling are struggling with the current 10 core (mostly due to the thermal paste used) what do think it will do with a 16-18core?

13. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Might I suggest that you are at the wrong site, please head on over to www-ssl.intel.com. People here are interested in technology not some weird football team mentality of side choosing. TR is interesting to every real tech person regardless if its is something they would buy, your tech card has been revoked.

Thanks.

14. Luckz

Luckz Guest

For streamers who have a second machine to do the encoding, 6 cores is the max they'd see used by games in the near future, but for streaming there's sure nothing wrong with having a whole bunch of cores.

Google "layerth dota streaming benchmark" (w/o the quotes)

And besides that, people might want to run other software while they game, and games like Battlefield 1 demand more than a 1151 i5 delivers, and a i7 would again suffer from streaming at the same time.

Perhaps there's also customers who really love the idea of having that many PCIe lanes, and might also want to play games sometimes.

Only if Threadripper is worse at games than a regular 8-core Ryzen do you have a point. Reviews will show that.

15. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Very interesting package, I'm curious what cooler the 16-core will come with in retail, or will it be without any?

ps- Don't feed the obvious trolls guys. :p

16. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Looks dope

17. warezme

warezme Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 970GTX Classified
    I'm getting a 12core. FU Intel

18. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Streamers don't need framerates beyond 60FPS (in fact, many don't even need to go beyond 30FPS) as viewers of the content likely won't have a player or display to watch them beyond that speed. Even an i5 is capable of handling any modern game at those frame rates without streaming. With streaming, an extra couple cores with HT/SMT ought to take care of the load.
    I would like to see solid proof of a streamer who struggles with a 6c/12t CPU. The "layerth" benchmarks show that you wouldn't really lose out on such a CPU.

I'd rather enjoy those extra several hundred dollars on other things (such as a better GPU) and not needlessly run things in the background while I play a game. If whatever it is you're doing in the background can't wait, you shouldn't be gaming anyway because you're probably still slowing down that task, even with 10+ cores.

Priorities.
    Using your breadwinning machine for play is a bad move. I understand some people need that many PCIe lanes, but gamers don't. I'm not aware of a GPU that can take advantage of more than x8 lanes on PCIe 3.0 (and for that matter, most workstation hardware doesn't either).

Due to the extra CCXs, I suspect TR will have better minimum frame rates and worse maximum frame rates. Since people here tend to only care about maximum, it will likely be deemed worse for gaming

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  19. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    It's not overhype if we know the design scales really well. ThreadRipper will have 2x the performance of Ryzen (probably), and it won't cost your kidneys.

You're waiting for Intel monolithic designs, rushed out in response to AMD, that have poor yields and cost a fortune? And you have the guts to say that typing on a laptop...
    I'm sorry Intel fanboy, but 2017 belongs to AMD on the CPU market. They're the ones pushing innovation.

:roll:

Blow up? :banana:

20. coozie7

coozie7 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 Armour OC 8G
    Huge!
    Looks to be enough space there to hold a half decent AIO so maybe the rumours about it being packaged with one are true.
    Not interested a gamer, and I don't stream so the extra cores/threads it offers beyond my current i7 are really not needed for me, but I'll be interested to see how it performs in workstation tasks.