Dell Offers U2518D WQHD IPS panel with Fake HDR

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Yeah that title is not a typo, I'll explain after the break. Dell is releasing the U2518D monitor, it has a 2560x1440 WQHD IPS panel and is HDR compatible. The 25"monitor has a 60Hz refresh rat...

Dell Offers U2518D WQHD IPS panel with Fake HDR

2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    AFAIK, Dell isn't known for this sort of BS. "Dell HDR" is a rather unfortunate name (replace "Fake" with "Dell" and there's your meme.)

Not sure what the marketing department was thinking here.

3. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    There are so many monitor gimmicks these days. Its getting a bit ridiculous and it makes it needlessly complex to buy a monitor.

At least its true 8bit color but its still not great for $500 considering its sRGB and fake HDR. Monitor makers need to clean up their product lines, and make them into clearly defined categories.

If theyre going to support HDR, adhere to a real HDR standard. Same with wide gamut color. All of this "well its got like 70% Rec.2020 or Rec.2100" nonsense is ridiculous in 2017.

Still being stuck with WLED backlights that require low blue light modes not to destroy color accuracy and your retinas because their whitepoints are closer to 8500K than 6500K is absurd too. Personally i would like a standard based on a 5500K, which is direct overhead sunlights CCT instead of 6500K which is the CCT of overcast sunlight.

I could rant all day about how monitors have been backsliding or standing for the most part for almost a decade with few exceptions.

4. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Well, it's still IPS, and that's the most expensive panel type. The price isn't the issue, imo. "Dell HDR" is :3eyes:

5. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    You can get sRGB IPS monitors pretty cheap. The bad thing about monitors these days is that the backlights usually suck. sRGB is a tiny gamut and all monitors should be capable of 100% calibrated to perfection sRGB from the factory, but they arent.

Consumers have been sold the hype of more pixels and better panels for a decade while backlights went from very good, no flicker, wide gamut capable WCG-CCFLs and RGB LEDs to flickering blue tinted WLEDs with terrible color and eye destroying poor spectral power distributions.

If you look at the SPD of a typical WLED its a spike in the worst blue wavelength and a gentle shallow hump in all the other colors. For a backlight you want almost spectrally pure RGB spikes right where the wavelengths of the primaries are. WCG-CCFL and RGB LEDs had that ten years ago.

There are other technologies that offer that too, like quantum dot enhancement films or quantum dot LEDs and OLED(although thats a display tech and not a backlight).

More pixels, better panels and variable refresh rate are nice, but giving up good color reproduction isnt necessary to get those things, even though thats exactly what has happened in the consumer monitor and TV market.

Im sure this monitor isnt terrible, but for $500 in 2017 fake HDR and sRGB isnt tempting to me.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  6. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    The only thing that somehow tries to justify Dell is that monitor makers just HAVE to work with panels that they are supplied.
    There are just a handful of panel makers out there, and their capacities are already pretty stretched. It is not like monitor makers can demand only specific panels in unrestricted numbers (especially for not too pricey monitors). That's why we see SO many different models with minor (or not) differencies.

But of course using Fake or pseudo-true marketing claims is a fishy practice.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  7. Toss3

Toss3 Guest

GPU:
    WC Inno3D GTX 980 TI
    Seriously getting tired of these manufacturers producing one ****ty product after the next. And that's without mentioning the insane pricing due to their own abysmal QC. In the US they've got a lot cheaper brands producing great products, but here in europe we have to pay insane amounts for ****ty displays.

8. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    What a bunch of crap, software HDR. Is HDR the monitor equivalent to the new PC LED craze, got to have it listed on the box no matter what even if you sacrifice quality?

9. 4g3d

4g3d Guest

GPU:
    AMD/2
    Could you name a few exceptions? Thanks.

10. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Want to make any game Fake HDR? Use this - https://reshade.me/

Its just funny how they sell monitor with fake HDR profile in it. Guess same people that buy Razer will love this.

11. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I paid about the same amount for a 4k 60hz 43 inch smart TV that I use as my monitor. I ordered it from the usa on black Friday because prices here are ridiculous. It has fake hdr too but I think it's a better deal than this.

12. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    A lot of these so called HDR monitors are fake HDR. They don't support the 384 backlit local dimming zones, the 1000 Nit peak brightness, and/or their 10bit color is actually 8bit with dithering. Snake-oil salesman with outrageous prices!

13. EJocys

EJocys Guest

GPU:
    nVidia 1070
    I am waiting for Dell 50" monitor with Dell 8K UHD 7680x4320, Dell 250Hz, Dell 3D, Dell HDR and Dell Dolby Atmos 9.1.2 sound.

Of course, it will be standard 19" monitor with 1920x1080 resolution, 60Hz panel and stereo sound-bar for at least $1000.
    Dell 50", because if you look at it from 5" distance then it will look as large as 50" from normal distance.
    Dell 8K, because you can set game resolution to 7680x4320 and it will downscale it to FHD.
    Dell 240Hz, because it down frames anything from up to 250Hz to 60Hz.
    Dell 3D, because it will display any 3D video in 2D mode (video from left or right eye only).
    Dell HDR - already explained in the article.
    Dell Dolby Atmos 9.1.2, because it can play any audio on stereo speakers.

It will be very easy to recognize owners of this amazing monitor in the forums. They will try to convince everybody that 8K, 250Hz, 3D, HDR and Dell Dolby Atmos looks and sounds like same old s**t and you can't see any difference.

14. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    all this rant yet people still buy TN panels just because 1ms GtG refresh rate (while blue color sits at ~20ms) and some 100+ refresh rates. At the same time color reproduction is "great" if you are seated properly at precise angle in front of the monitor etc.

I can only imagine what a pile of crap that dude bought for 500$ that reads 4K and 40 something inches...